spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

[Rant] Hulu Plus video quality

Maybe there is an issue with my ISP causing poor video quality or one of my apps that are running in the background. Anyhow, i find Hulu Plus streaming video quality is not up to HD standards.

What's your take on Hulu's Plus video quality?.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

HULU, Netflix, etc sample your bandwith (and the capacity of the route taken) and decide the best quality for minimum buffering.
Not sure about HULU but Netflix (at least used to) allow you to force a set quality high (or low to conserve for those with caps)
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I find Hulu's HD bitrate to be acceptable. Good enough for me to enjoy favorite shows but not excellent by any means. It always buffers almost instantly and never drops in quality while streaming.

They don't have every show in HD but the ones they do definitely look HD. I don't know what the actual bitrate is. They recommend at least 3 Mbps for HD, so the bitrate is probably at most 3 Mbps. Generally I would consider it to be slightly below Netflix's standard HD.

Adding to what Hayward said, you can force the web player to stream in HD or any quality setting. I don't know about anything else as I use the web player exclusively.