uniqs

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

1 edit

HFB1217

Receiving a lot of E-mails from Russia

I don't know if it has to do with the Hacks that occurred with Home Depot or Chase or possibly Target.

Since I have at one time done business with them. I do not do careless surfing with questionable or dangerous sites.

The E-mails are directed to my correct primary E-mail address.

But I have recently been receiving an inordinate number of E-mails from Russia.

I have been sending any E-mails I do not recognize or unsolicited ones directly to the Junk-Mail folder without opening them.

Since that folder automatically indicates their source I see the RU designation and Cyrillic fonts I delete them.

Has anyone else been having the same experience aside from canceling my main E-mail account which would cause a major problem any suggestions?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

I doubt it's tied to any particular hack, but in any case you're doing the right thing and there should be no need to change your email address. Sounds like you know better than to open them (may confirm your address is live) or click on a link in one of them (straight to a drive-by infection). I'd just continue as you're doing until the storm passes.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert to HFB1217

Mod

to HFB1217
Thanks for the reminder to do my daily check of my spambox mailbox.

Spam has become a way of life.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to HFB1217

MVM

to HFB1217
Do you have correspondents who send bulk forwards, thus?
To: Rose <**********@yahoo.com>, Charlotte
<**********@yahoo.com>, Nick <**********@yahoo.com>, Tracy
<**********@yahoo.com>, "**********@charter.net" <**********@charter.net>, 
 Perry <**********@msn.com>, Kathleen <**********@msn.com>, Tom
<**********@sbcglobal.net>, "**********@comcast.net" <**********@comcast.net>,
NormanS <**********@netscape.net>

With additional addresses under "Original Message" in the body? If any one of the people using those addresses has a compromised computer/email account, the spammer has all of those email addresses.

I don't see much foreign language spam; the occasional Spanish, or Portuguese pitch from Latin America, or the occasional Mandarin pitch (I can recognize some of the characters; but they lack the kana bits of Japanese).

Fascinating book by Brian Krebs: "Spam Nation":

»krebsonsecurity.com/tag/ ··· -nation/

Too many of our friends and neighbors actually buying from spammers for spam to go away.

BIGbadjohn
A Merry Tune
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05
Ireland

BIGbadjohn to HFB1217

Premium Member

to HFB1217
Would they be from Olga in Russia? She sent me 5 emails yesterday requesting my friendship.

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

HFB1217 to NormanS

to NormanS
No forwarding included it was directed to my correct E-mail address only.

That is why I assumed it resulted from a security hack on a retail store I had done business with.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by HFB1217:

No forwarding included it was directed to my correct E-mail address only.

I was not referring to the spam, itself. I was referring to email from friends and relatives.

How to explain it? Ike Smith finds a particular web site funny, interesting, or informative. He sends a blast to a dozen of his friends, relatives, and you. One of his recipients has received another email, from another sender, with an evil attachment. This other recipient opens the attachment, and that computer is then infected with the Hades.Trojan.A. That infected computer executes a search of the entire HDD for anything resembling an RFC-822 email address. It finds a bunch, including those in Ike's blast; which means including yours. These harvested email addresses are sent off to the Hades.Trojan.A command and control center. They are collated, and sold to some spammer.

No matter how careful you have been with your email address, it is now in the hands of spammers because others who know have been careless.

Just because it is sent to your "correct E-mail address only", doesn't mean it was not sent in bulk.

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

Thanks for clearing that up I misunderstood your posting.

dflanigan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
Union, KY

dflanigan to HFB1217

Premium Member

to HFB1217
One thing that may be obvious but which has saved from a lot of Russian/Chinese spam is to simply reject e-mail that is in languages you do not know. Seeing Cyrillic characters, in this case, should be a fast track to SPAM or, at least, Trash.

Depending on how you get your e-mail there are numerous solutions to address this. Including Java, Perl Libraries, etc.

David