spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mount laurel
@143.85.196.x

mount laurel

Anon

[IPv6] No IPv6 Connectivity

I've tried everything and can't connect to IPv6 on IE 11. I use a ASUS RT-N66U router and Motorola SB 6120 modem. Tried rebooting both and nothing. Did the Microsoft fixes and nothing. When I look at my IPCONFIG I don't see my DNS for IPv6. Any suggestions would be a great help. Oh also did the Merlin firmware.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

1 recommendation

Napsterbater

MVM

I'm not familiar enough with Comcast IPv6 availability to help troubleshoot but you don't need IPv6 DNS servers to have working IPv6, IPv4 DNS servers can/will return AAAA (IPv6) records.

What Microsoft fixes?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper to mount laurel

Premium Member

to mount laurel
said by mount laurel :

can't connect to IPv6 on IE 11. I use a ASUS RT-N66U router and Motorola SB 6120 modem.

Have you tried plugging your PC directly into the modem, and see if you get IPv6 connectivity?

mount laurel
@143.85.196.x

mount laurel

Anon

I'll try that. Thanks

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

Devious to mount laurel

Premium Member

to mount laurel
Click for full size
Click for full size
Do you have IPv6 enabled in the router?

IPv6 is disabled by default.

Screenshots...IPv6 setup page and system log for IPv6 in the router.
mountainman9
join:2013-03-28
Broomfield, CO

1 recommendation

mountainman9 to mount laurel

to mount laurel
Try changing Auto Configuration from stateless to stateful. I have a RT-AC68U running the Merlin firmware and my router worked for the longest with stateless but recently stopped working. The only way I could get it to work again was changing to stateful and rebooting. I had NetDog look at my cable modem and he was not seeing a request for PD from my router when it was in stateless mode.

mount laurel
@73.195.50.x

mount laurel

Anon

OK - Tried the direct hook up with modem. I get IPv6. Then did it with ASUS router and No. Also tried setting to "stateful" setting and rebooting. Any thing else I should try?

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

What firmware version are you using on the router?

mount laurel
@73.195.50.x

mount laurel

Anon

376_3602 from ASUS not Merlin. I tried the merlin one and went back to Asus

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

Could you post the same screen shots from your router that Devious See Profile previously posted, so that we can see your router's IPv6 configuration and status? That would possibly speed up the process of someone being able to diagnose your problem and suggest a fix that worked.

Also, some ASUS routers have had a history of intermittently requiring a factory reset to fix IPv6 problems when connected to the Comcast network. That is a PITA since you would lose any configuration settings, but doing that has helped some ASUS router owners restore IPv6 connectivity with Comcast.

Mount Laural
@73.195.50.x

Mount Laural

Anon

I gave up on it tonight. I try to send screen shots during the week. I just can't believe I can't get this to work. Thanks all for suggestions.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

Merlin just released a new firmware .49 that has a new IPv6 implementation and it works well with comcast v6. There is also a fork firmware that is a older firmware .43 that has all the security fixes of the new, v6 also works good with that firmware. Sometimes you have to reboot the router a few times via the UI to get v6 to work with Asus routers. It seems after reading around comcast v6 is a little funky and possibly needs more work.

v6movement
@135.23.225.x

v6movement

Anon

said by Jim721:

Sometimes you have to reboot the router a few times via the UI to get v6 to work with Asus routers. It seems after reading around comcast v6 is a little funky and possibly needs more work.

Those are issues with the routers firmware. Bugs for ASUS to fix.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

owlyn to mount laurel

MVM

to mount laurel
What happens when you run the test at »test-ipv6.com/
RightHere
Premium Member
join:2003-02-02

1 recommendation

RightHere to mount laurel

Premium Member

to mount laurel
Related discussion - »[IPv6] IPv6 Problems with routers other than Netgear

I believe the current way to get it working is to reboot the modem, then reboot the router. If the modem reboots, then you'll need to reboot the router again to re-establish IPv6 connectivity.

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

Devious to mount laurel

Premium Member

to mount laurel
said by mount laurel :

376_3602 from ASUS not Merlin. I tried the merlin one and went back to Asus

The latest stock firmware is 3.0.0.4.376.3657 but it does not show up at all Asus download locations.

Try here: »www.asus.com/Networking/ ··· ownload/

Depending on what firmware version you are going to/coming from it is mandatory to push and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds after the upgrade then reconfigure setting again. Yes, you can reset to defaults in the GUI but it is not the same as the reset button. Do not use backed up setting as changes in the upgraded firmware may not be compatible with backed up setting.

As mentioned the latest Merlin now uses dnsmasq/odhcpc for IPv6 instead of radvd/rdnssd. This has shown to help people who were having IPv6 issues so maybe give it a try.

Jim721
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721 to v6movement

to v6movement
Not really. Comcast lets the IPv6 neighbor table over flow. This is a known issue with many router vendors, most have patched there firmwares to not show it in the sys log. Never the less its still there burning up data in the back ground. Ask Netdog he knows this is a issue and after a year still know fix.

Rman21
@74.93.0.x

Rman21 to mount laurel

Anon

to mount laurel
I have the same router and just changed my Ipv6 settings from stateless to stateful. It pulled an address immediately and hasn't dropped since. I don't really care though one way or another because my speeds are just fine with ipv4.

mount laurel
@143.85.196.x

mount laurel

Anon

What firmware version are your using" from ASUS or Merlin?

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Robert

Premium Member

Click for full size
These are my iPv6 settings running firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3602.

mount laurel
@143.85.196.x

mount laurel

Anon

Rob - Your screen shot is exactly what I do and then I Reboot and still I get no "IPv6" and yes I have it checked off on my Wireless settings card.

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

Devious

Premium Member

Asus stock and Merlin have differences so you must use the reset button after upgrade when going from Merlin to stock or vice versa.

Even with just an Asus stock firmware upgrade Asus says to reset the router.

[Important] Please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router after firmware updated

Sometimes you can just use the reset to defaults in the GUI to clear the nvram but not always and that is why Asus says to use the reset button located next to the USB ports.

mount laurel
@73.195.50.x

mount laurel

Anon

Well I still can't get it to work. updated firmware with Merlin 49-2 Reset, Rebooted, everything comes up on the IPv6 system log but not showing on my "Wireless Network Status. My now I'm thinking it's my Dell Adapter 1505 WLAN. I did all the Diagnoses and no problems. How do I update this WLAN?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

4 edits

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mount laurel :

Well I still can't get it to work. updated firmware with Merlin 49-2 Reset, Rebooted, everything comes up on the IPv6 system log but not showing on my "Wireless Network Status. My now I'm thinking it's my Dell Adapter 1505 WLAN. I did all the Diagnoses and no problems. How do I update this WLAN?

It sounds as if you are now saying that the router does get an IPv6 connection, but an attached PC (using a WiFi connection) does not. That is very different from your previous posts.

Have you tried (just temporarily -- I am not saying don't use WiFi) connecting that PC to your router using an Ethernet cable to see if the PC gets IPv6 connectivity when using an Ethernet connection? What OS does that PC use? Does it even have IPv6 support enabled? And why the resistance at posting screen shots and/or command line captures to supply information that might actually help someone to help you? Screen shots of your router's IPv6 setup and status, and "ipconfig /all" results from a Windows PC, or "ifconfig" results from a *nix PC might go a long way toward getting your problem resolved.

EDIT: It is not difficult or dangerous to provide the information needed to help you fix your problem. Here is my router IPv6 setup and status screens, and also the "ipconfig /all" and "netsh int ipv6 show addr" results from my Windows server, and also the "ifconfig" results from my Linux server. I am not in the least concerned about showing that information here (that is why i have a router with a firewall). And if you are really worried about security or privacy, you can always mask (or change) the last few digits/characters in an IP or MAC address without sacrificing the diagnostic usefulness of the information.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dcs-srv
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : dcs-net.lan
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dcs-net.lon
                                       dcs-net.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-5B-32-07-BA
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-91-F5-95-BE-AC
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:5:1f00:3b01:e291:f5ff:fe95:beac
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:beac%4
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.254
                                       fe80::1e7e:e5ff:fe4c:e6ff%4
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.2
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-14-02
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.20.2%2
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-09-02
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.9.2%2
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\>netsh int ipv6 show addr
Querying active state...

Interface 4: Local Area Connection 2

Addr Type  DAD State  Valid Life   Pref. Life   Address
---------  ---------- ------------ ------------ -----------------------------
Public     Preferred    3d23h4m19s   3d23h4m19s 2601:5:1f00:3b01:e291:f5ff:fe95:beac
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:beac

Interface 2: Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::5efe:192.168.20.2
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::5efe:192.168.9.2

Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface

Loopback   Preferred      infinite     infinite ::1
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::1

#############################################################################

webhost:/ # ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr E0:91:F5:95:A8:79
          inet addr:192.168.9.3  Bcast:192.168.9.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: 2601:5:1f00:3b01:e291:f5ff:fe95:a879/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:a879/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:3813620 errors:0 dropped:885820 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:578533 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:307203153 (292.9 Mb)  TX bytes:196397223 (187.2 Mb)
          Interrupt:22 Base address:0xcc00

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:20834 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:20834 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1979763 (1.8 Mb)  TX bytes:1979763 (1.8 Mb)

EDIT2: I forgot to answer one of your questions. To update either the firmware or the driver for your Dell WiFi adapter, you should go to »www.dell.com and go through the menu system to get support for that adapter (and or the PC if it is a Dell PC).

v6movement
@135.23.225.x

v6movement to Jim721

Anon

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Not really. Comcast lets the IPv6 neighbor table over flow. This is a known issue with many router vendors, most have patched there firmwares to not show it in the sys log. Never the less its still there burning up data in the back ground. Ask Netdog he knows this is a issue and after a year still know fix.

Yes, really. If you're having to reboot something to get it working it is a bug. That is the definition of a bug.

mount laurel
@73.195.53.x

mount laurel

Anon

Well somehow I got the IPv6 back. Had to start from scratch (Restore Factory Setting from Rebooting Router from Admin page) which I did a million times by pulling out AC plug but this time I changed my SSID name and the IPv6 came. Unbelievable!!! Thanks all for your help

Jim721
Belleville, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

Jim721 to v6movement

to v6movement
Must be a bug in with almost every router vendor then. Even third party firmware builders say comcasts v6 is wonky and tuff to deal with. Not really a issue for me because i know what to do to obtain the v6 address but somtimes it takes a few reboots but it works. I would hardly call it a firmware bug when comcast lets the neighbor tables overflow and cause unwanted traffic to cross the router and add up to a few GB worth of data to run in the background every month adding to peoples data caps. Lets face it IPv6 is still in it's infancy and i am sure most issues will be worked out over the course of time.

v6movement
@135.23.225.x

-1 recommendation

v6movement

Anon

said by Jim721:

Must be a bug in with almost every router vendor then. Even third party firmware builders say comcasts v6 is wonky and tuff to deal with. Not really a issue for me because i know what to do to obtain the v6 address but somtimes it takes a few reboots but it works. Lets face it IPv6 is still in it's infancy and i am sure most issues will be worked out over the course of time.

From what I've seen that would seem to be the case. Can't say as I've seen the same. Everything points back to buggy implementations on the client side.

Ya, because Comcast is running custom routers with custom DHCP servers. Nothing is following a standardized spec.

Yes, over 10 years old and its in its infancy, uh huh.

Jim721
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

10 Years old possibly. But it has not been deployed for public use on the comcast network nearly that long. In fact maybe 2 years and in some markets just very recently.

v6movement
@135.23.225.x

v6movement

Anon

said by Jim721:

But it has not been deployed for public use on the comcast network nearly that long.

Comcast's network in this situation is irrelevant.