Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

[Business] BCI delagated prefix

I just notices that on ym DPC3939B it shows a delegated prefix.

but its only a /64 (can't really use that for the way my network is setup) (I currently have a /48 from hurricane electric.)

so can I e-mail someone and get a /48 ? I have 5 static ipv4's ATM

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

I just notices that on ym DPC3939B it shows a delegated prefix.

but its only a /64 (can't really use that for the way my network is setup) (I currently have a /48 from hurricane electric.)

so can I e-mail someone and get a /48 ? I have 5 static ipv4's ATM

Are you sure that the /64 isn't just for its own LAN interface? My D-Link DIR655 gets assigned a /56 network PD, and it chooses the first /64 for its own LAN interface, and will also sub-delegate other PD prefixes to secondary routers as needed.

According to discussion in the thread: »Re: [Business] Dual-Stack on SMC D3GCCR and Cisco DPC3939B I think that the DPC3939B should also get a /56 network allocation from Comcast, and be able to sub-delegate /58-60 to secondary routers. Of course, that may not help in your situation, depending on how your network is laid out. I am pretty sure that a /56 is what you will get from Comcast. But perhaps a /48 might be negotiated for static IP customers who express a need for that large an allocation (since dynamic IP BCI customer can already get up to five individual /56 allocations).

Perhaps NetDog See Profile will see this thread and be able to officially confirm how the DPC3939B handles its /56 network allocation.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
According to this thread over at the Business Comcast forums:

»forums.businesshelp.comc ··· -message

Cisco DPC3939B will hand out 2601: addresses to devices connected to it, but doesn't support sub-delegation (so that you could use your own router behind it). Apparently that's "coming soon"

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

Cisco DPC3939B will hand out 2601: addresses to devices connected to it, but doesn't support sub-delegation (so that you could use your own router behind it). Apparently that's "coming soon"

This is true, the NetGear CCR supports a sub-delegation of /60.. We are working on the fix for the SMC and we are talking to Cisco about adding sub-delegation..