Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz to smk11

to smk11

Re: [CATV] cox going all digital

said by smk11:

said by Fanastan:

All of my HD and digital stations on my basic cable package disappeared this morning after I went to work. I came home to a dozen analog stations which I now hear will be disappearing. I refused to pay an additional 1.99 per month box for each TV. I see that Cox says you get one year free but I am going to get an antena instead.

That was fast. Didn't even make it to through spring. The per TV fees are ridiculous.

It's per mini box that you're renting, not per TV, per se. Yeah, the end result is the same, but that distinction makes it not ridiculous.

But I suspect your root premise is that asking people to rent a box in the first place is ridiculous. But you're the one requiring higher-cost service, not the people on digital. Everything already starts out as digital these days. Analog requires conversion hardware and a ton of extra bandwidth. This way, analog customers pay a little extra for the higher costs of analog service without affecting the bandwidth of everyone else. Seems entirely reasonable to me.

JeffinKenner
@cox.net

JeffinKenner

Anon

All I care about is that I already pay 145 a month for extended basic and internet. Now my bill is going up $2x3 tvs. 151 plus tax. How is analog costing me more? It may cost Cox more but personally, it saves me 6 dollars at the current time. I may also be forced to get a DVR in the future because of the inconvience of having a box between my equipment. That's another 11.99 a month.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

said by JeffinKenner :

All I care about is that I already pay 145 a month for extended basic and internet. Now my bill is going up $2x3 tvs. 151 plus tax. How is analog costing me more? It may cost Cox more but personally, it saves me 6 dollars at the current time. I may also be forced to get a DVR in the future because of the inconvience of having a box between my equipment. That's another 11.99 a month.

You could always cut the cord. I've probably saved somewhere in the few thousands of dollars by having been that way for the last two years.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to jchambers28

to jchambers28
Well i think this change would be a little more welcomed if they'd leave the expanded channels clear QAM.

For years that was cable's "selling point" was that you did not need a box for the other rooms, now all of a sudden they're being like satellite.

At least give customers an option to purchase one for $30 or so since you know these cost maybe $10 a pop.

DDR329
@cox.net

DDR329

Anon

Just like analog phones analog video is a technology of the past. Everything is pushing digital why? Easy, 1 single analog channel = 6MHz of bandwidth. That same single channel of analog can house 1 DOCSIS channel (a big push is on to 1gig service), 3 HD channels, 6-8 digital channels.
Now what are people asking for? More HD channels and faster Internet speeds.

It makes perfect business sense to go the route that Cox and ALL other MSO's are or eventually will be going and that is to ditch analog service all together. Even now you can't pick up over the air broadcast without a tuner so really cable is behind the times.

Just pricing the boxes out there the cheapest new one I could find is made by Samsung for $150 plus you would still need to rent a cable card for $2/month. Just wait till all video is IP based.....it's coming.
The Saguaro
join:2002-05-18
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
said by JeffinKenner :

I may also be forced to get a DVR in the future because of the inconvience of having a box between my equipment

You can't get a DVR unless you have Advanced or above.
ajac
join:2000-08-15
Norman, OK

ajac to jchambers28

to jchambers28
ugggg I wonder when this will hit OKC area.

JeffinKenner
@cox.net

JeffinKenner to The Saguaro

Anon

to The Saguaro
According to cox, advanced is only 2 dollars more month. 75 instead of 73.
Jimothy
join:2015-02-27
USA

Jimothy

Anyone hooked up a killawatt to one of these to get the readouts on how much electricity they use?
Guzzler
join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ

Guzzler to jchambers28

to jchambers28
You know all of this could have been avoided if the cable industry hadn't balked about cable cards, in the beginning, which killed TV manufacturers from including a cable card slot in their devices.

I wonder when TV manufacturers might realize that it would be in their best interest to increase sales by making TV's that could accept a cable card.
The Saguaro
join:2002-05-18
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
It is actually $3 more.
relayer35
join:2010-01-01

relayer35 to jchambers28

to jchambers28
It doesn't look like you can pass the Dolby 5.1 signal from the mini box to a receiver? Is that true?
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
»www.omaha.com/money/cox- ··· 3f8.html

Omaha join all digital links says first change will be noticeable in 60 days
ajwees41

ajwees41 to Guzzler

Premium Member

to Guzzler
would you also have the tv manufacturers include SDV and 2way hardware?

w0kie
join:2001-12-23
USA

w0kie to jchambers28

to jchambers28

Tulsa all digital rollout schedule

"On Wednesday, May 26, analog customers who had not yet installed a mini box experienced their first round of channel peel backs with the loss of A&E, Animal Planet, E!, Food Network and TV Land. The next channel peel back in Tulsa is scheduled to happen Tuesday, June 23. On that date, analog customers without a mini box will lose ABC Family, AMC, History, FX, TBS, HSN and QVC."
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy to odog

to odog

Re: [CATV] cox going all digital

So they are getting rid of clear QAM for locals as well?

chris_c21
join:2015-04-02
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

chris_c21

They're encrypting all of the channels so that you must have equipment (cable card or box) to decrypt them.
contsole
Premium Member
join:2003-12-30
Newington, CT

contsole to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
When Cox CT went all digital, I had to replace my Cox 8 way splitter with an amplified splitter even though there was also a Cox drop amp in my house. I had bad pixelization on about 10 channels. Now, all perfect.

JoBoXeR73
@cox.net

JoBoXeR73 to chris_c21

Anon

to chris_c21
From what I could find there doesn't seem to be a card in the mini box. Is it scrambled/encrypted or just digital. If it's just digital (as they state) what the heck is wrong with using the already capable digital tuners inside all the damn smart TV's that have been sold over the years. I can get the current digital channels that are broadcast over the cable line from the cable (Cox) company. If the "NEW" all digital signal isn't scrambled or encrypted, why the hell can't I just use my TV's digital tuner??
JoBoXeR73

JoBoXeR73 to DDR329

Anon

to DDR329
I mentioned this in a reply to someone else's post. I get the all digital thing, I like it and want it, but why can't the digital tuners in the TV's do the work that the worthless Cox Mini Box is supposed to do?
Fubar
join:2015-01-27
Phoenix, AZ

Fubar

said by JoBoXeR73 :

I mentioned this in a reply to someone else's post. I get the all digital thing, I like it and want it, but why can't the digital tuners in the TV's do the work that the worthless Cox Mini Box is supposed to do?

Because everything is encrypted.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
After a market moves to All Digital, All the channels will be encrypted, the TV tuners whether Digital of not, will not receive any programing, not even locals, unless Cox changes it current plan.

The Mini does not have a CableCARD inside, it has integrated on-board security/decryption/authentication, and is not capable of 2-Way communication or access to any remaining Switched Digital Video channels.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

said by BryanInPHX:

After a market moves to All Digital, All the channels will be encrypted, the TV tuners whether Digital of not, will not receive any programing, not even locals, unless Cox changes it current plan.

The Mini does not have a CableCARD inside, it has integrated on-board security/decryption/authentication, and is not capable of 2-Way communication or access to any remaining Switched Digital Video channels.

And welcome to the 80's all over again!