Search similar:

uniqs
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Mike2009

to Mike2009

Re: Looking for an apartment in Ottawa

Correct. The Metro is pretty small, but I usually find what I need there. The Superstore was built in 2003.

Riverton Park Apartments is just along the Ottawa River Parkway... er... whatever they're calling it now, at the northern edge of "Mechanicsville." This used to be a rough area, but it has improved a lot in recent years, with the demographics changing, more community policing etc. Well-maintained building.

I visited Island Park Towers in 2006 when I moved back to Ottawa (couldn't stand Gatineau). It's older than Riverton Park Apartments by 11 years (1967 vs 1978), but the buildings and grounds seem well maintained. I think I would have moved there if later that day I hadn't visited a 1200 sq.ft condo that was a better fit (rented for a little over 6 years, and bought one in the building 2 years ago).

Island Park Towers, I believe, include heat and hydro, whereas at Riverton Park you pay for your hydro (it's electric heat). Keep that in mind if you end up comparing the two. RPA is also close to the Tunney's Pasture Transitway station, which will be the western end of phase 1 of the LRT. It's far enough that the construction should not be an issue (unlike for me - it will be right under my nose.)

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

That 7/11 was getting robbed pretty frequently a few years ago.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Lothario

to Lothario
The small ghetto directly behind Bayshore (i cant recall the name of it) is actually a nice area now for an entirely rental community. Minto refused ti renew leases to most of the trouble makers and it actually got a lot of praise from the Ottawa Police Service and is now entirely designated "crime free" by the city. The downside is, most of them took their province subsidised rents and moved down the road and made dumaurier even worse than it was. This is where most of the shootings are happening.

A friend of mine lived in the towers at prince of wales and had a very good sized 1 bedroom, small kitchen for a few hundred dollars under your budget. They overlook hog's back, i cant remember the name of the buildings but paramount manages them. You'd be close to the canal, baseline, etc. The area is half decent, other than a one off shooting a few years back (but hey we even get those out here in Greely). He lived there about 3 or 4 years ago, i haven't been back since so i cant comment on it's current state.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
Look for a CRB (certified rental building). They are typically better run buildings and more tenant friendly than ones which are not CRB certified.
»crbprogram.org
btech805
Canada

btech805

»www.ottawapolice.ca/en/s ··· sing.asp you can also look for the crim free multi-housing certification by the OPS.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Lothario

to Lothario
It's a Quickie now, but yes. They were even victims of a "flash rob" a couple of years ago. Haven't heard of any recent incident, but maybe it just wasn't making the news, busy showing the Youtube clip of the day...

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to btech805

Mod

to btech805
Bayshore is now called "Accora Village" and is still managed by Minto (who originally built the entire area).

You might also consider Comvesco Levinson Viner (CLV) as they have quite a number of buildings around the city and from the people who I know who live in their buildings, take care of the properties pretty well. District Realty is another possibility as they too have a variety of places to choose from.
Zed071
join:2010-09-16

Zed071 to milnoc

to milnoc

said by milnoc See Profile
What's wrong with Billings Bridge at night?

It's a regular on the Police watch list with a few apartment takeovers in the area.

Back on-topic:

There's Paramount Properties as a local landlord. I haven't been too far inside, but the Princess on Argyle and 475 Elgin both seem to be in good repair, close to the canal and downtown.

Z

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

3 edits

milnoc

Care to elaborate? I can't seem to find anything specifically wrong with the area aside from a groper running loose at the transitway station.

And what do you mean by "apartment takeover?"

EDIT: found the information on apartment takeovers. Scary stuff. However, the victims are mainly vulnerable people (elderly, drug addicts, poor, mentally ill), with a string of arrests having been made last January in gang plagued Heron Gate (already on my black list).

Which buildings at Billings Bridge are prone to apartment takeovers?

In fact, is there a list of Ottawa's high risk buildings anywhere on the Internet?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
This is by no means a recommendation, but I lived here (140 Bronson) a couple of decades back when I was in college (work term in the city over the summer). When doing work terms you were always looking for furnished so choices downtown (and cheap) were limited.

»www.google.ca/maps/@45.4 ··· e0?hl=en

Doing a little Google Streetview I think the building is more run down. At the time though it was within walking distance to tons of stuff, and the bus was just as close.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Is Homestead a decent company?

As Hydraglass said, they're ok. A poor man's Minto. In my experience at the building I mentioned, they were always doing everything strictly by the book.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to milnoc

to milnoc
Homestead properties are clean and well maintained.

matradley
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Ottawa, ON

matradley to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
Alta Vista Towers... and not Donald Street...

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Just read some reviews of Alta Vista Towers. Yikes! Very bad! However, it's already in a zone that's on my "Avoid" list.

One neighbourhood being considered is Old Ottawa South. Within walking distance of Billings Bridge, the canal, and my sister!

And since I was heading to my sister's place for Christmas, I decided to put OC Transpo to the test. Aside from the lack of a ticket dispenser at the Tremblay station, the ride to my sister's home went very well. Tremblay, Hurdman, Billings Bridge and The Glebe in under 30 minutes.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

OC Transpo has pretty much done away with tickets. Everything is with the Presto Card now.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Much more convenient, and a little cheaper.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to NCRGuy

to NCRGuy
And I would have bought a Presto card if it were available at the train station. Alas, no such luck.

At the very least, there should have been a place to buy a tourist card, such as, say, AT THE TRAIN STATION!
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

I think you have to go to the OC Transpo points of service - they still have some work to do on that. I ordered mine online.
Zed071
join:2010-09-16

Zed071 to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Care to elaborate? I can't seem to find anything specifically wrong with the area aside from a groper running loose at the transitway station.

Mostly low-end drugs and some gang activity between Billings Bridge and Heron along Bank St.
said by milnoc:

In fact, is there a list of Ottawa's high risk buildings anywhere on the Internet?

It would be nice, but alas, there isn't. Generally Vanier, Britannia, and Carlington have some of the worst buildings. As part of my job, I deal with the Police a lot, so I do hear things about some areas of the city.

Z
btech805
Canada

btech805 to milnoc

to milnoc
Old ottawa south is generally a good area, a little full if themselves, but hey.

There isn't much crime reported in the billings bridge area, however the billings transit station is consistently highest for reported swarming and sexual assaults. There is also an Ottawa Community Housing tower directly across Bank st which is regularly a flurry of police activity, and several lower end rentals in the area that tend to attract drug dealers and thugs. Again, if you go by reported crime, not a bad area. If you go by what your eyes see, and your nose smells, no.

You seem to want to be near Billings, which is fine there are plenty of good buildings arounds, particularly off Riverside Drive, just avoid directly in the Billings area. The Prince of Wales complex is the one i was referring to earlier. Bachelors start at $799+utilities according to the website.

Unfortunately there is no "bad building" list, but general rules of thumbs are avoid Vanier, Brittania, Herongate, Carlington. South Keys and Billings would be "grey areas", and the market is really only geared to young folk who wont be bothered by the noise every single weekend.

metalhawk
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

A good site for crime stats:

»www.crimereports.com/

Not every police service participates, but Ottawa's does.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to btech805

to btech805
Okay. The presence of an Ottawa Community Housing dwelling is definitely a red flag. And the tower you're talking about is right across the tracks from the Kilborn building, so that's out.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Not necessarily a red flag, each OCH community has its own "vibe", this one however is definitely negative. The prince of wales tower i am talking of though is quite a ways from the Kilborn towers your speak of.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

And it's near Hog's Back, which is a nice place to explore, especially during low water levels.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

find out if Ottawa has rent caps.
some of these properties that manage many buildings keep it clean and all, but they might give you only a six month lease and raise your rent every six months.
careful about bed bugs (read reviews)
you might also consider renting a condo studio where you have only a private owner to deal with, and they may give you a longer term lease.
good idea is to call Landlord and Tenant Board, and they will not only give your do's and dont's as a tenant, they also give you information on the landlord do's and dont's and point you away from the slumlords.
smoking or non smoking building.
if it's a building with ethnic people, you will get that food smell straight in to your suite, via vents.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

An update.

It's looking like the areas around the Tunney's Pasture transit station (Ottawa West, Hintonburg, Mechanicsville) are the most attractive and affordable places to live if you require city-wide mobility, with Hintonburg being the best location for foot-bound travelers.

If you use WalkScore to scout areas, do be careful. Its listings for grocery stores include specialty/ethnic grocery stores along with convenient stores listed as "groceries". There's no filter to display only the major grocery store chains, which can end up being far away from your desired location.

I'm also checking out the possibility of purchasing a condo if I can find one cheap enough. Right now, the cheapest *and* liveable condos can only be found in... Quebec!

Surprisingly, those cheap condos can easily be found in downtown Hull, which has been going through gentrification for years and has been steadily improving. There might be a good investment deal to be found here. I also wouldn't have to change my driver's license or medical insurance.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

I work at Holland Cross. Great area and much improved over the past 10 years. Close proximity to downtown and Transitway make it popular. Also a lot of great restaurants. Check put Absinthe and the Foolish Chicken.

metalhawk
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

An update.

It's looking like the areas around the Tunney's Pasture transit station (Ottawa West, Hintonburg, Mechanicsville) are the most attractive and affordable places to live if you require city-wide mobility, with Hintonburg being the best location for foot-bound travelers.

If you use WalkScore to scout areas, do be careful. Its listings for grocery stores include specialty/ethnic grocery stores along with convenient stores listed as "groceries". There's no filter to display only the major grocery store chains, which can end up being far away from your desired location.

I'm also checking out the possibility of purchasing a condo if I can find one cheap enough. Right now, the cheapest *and* liveable condos can only be found in... Quebec!

Surprisingly, those cheap condos can easily be found in downtown Hull, which has been going through gentrification for years and has been steadily improving. There might be a good investment deal to be found here. I also wouldn't have to change my driver's license or medical insurance.

If you want to purchase a condo, Bells Corners is a good area, but the bus system can be a little sparse at the start/end of the day. The area is VERY green, being surrounded by NCC land, virtually crime-free (look at the crime link I posted a few days ago) and you can buy decent size condos for under $200,000.

I bought a condo there in the summer and couldn't be happier.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

I could also buy a mobile home for under $100,000!

Trailer Park Boys, here I come!

metalhawk
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

said by milnoc:

I could also buy a mobile home for under $100,000!

Trailer Park Boys, here I come!

Considering that the Bells Corner mobile home park is evicting everyone, that wouldn't be a good idea.