join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to JohnCC

Premium Member

to JohnCC

Re: Apple Makes $3B By Selling iPhones With Barebones Storage

said by JohnCC:

iOS 8.x requires more than 8GB to install

Kinda sad when an OS for a phone is bigger than a full-blown desktop OS.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by sivran:

said by JohnCC:

iOS 8.x requires more than 8GB to install

Kinda sad when an OS for a phone is bigger than a full-blown desktop OS.

It's actually closer to 5GB. The download for iOS 8 is about 1.1GB but it needs extra space to decompress and install. After the installation iOS 8 takes up about 4GB. If you don't have enough space to upgrade OTA you can always do so by plugging your phone into a computer and using iTunes.
Riamen

Riamen to JohnCC

Premium Member

to JohnCC
said by JohnCC:

Case in point: I don't see why iOS 8.x couldn't be given to iPhone 4 users on the 16gb and 32gb at all. With all the fancy animation features turned off, it should work just fine as iOS 7 did. They halted newer versions to the phone only because they got tired of dealing with it.

Let's see the iPhone 4, released in July 2010, got OS updates until September 2014. Four years two months. I'm hard pressed to think of any company that supports their mobile devices for so long.

The iPhone 4 has a single-core A4 processor whereas all later models are dual-core. And starting with the iPhone 5S are also 64 bit. Face it was aging tech, time to let it go.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

who said I cared? also who said I said every single person. interesting you got offended by that.

not completely directed at you...just those in general ranting about it...i'm not offended either, i just don't get the outrage...it makes no sense.

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
My company uses iphones for work. It's so dreadful, I hardly like to use it.

I just got the new BlackBerry classic and it loads my work emails faster. And I don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom of a long ass email thread to get a file.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Just looked at part of a first look on the black berry classic and from the few minutes i checked out on the vid i like it. I always have liked BB phones and would own another so long as apps can install to sd card and not the very typically limited internal space.So as you have one ill ask you can you use a sd card for apps or does it have allot more internal storage? If so i may just have to grab one.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis

Premium Member

It's a 16gb model and I don't believe you can run apps off an SD card. But it can use SD card for pics etc.

I have about 8 android apps and I still have 10 gigs available. I usually drive an android phone but was real curious about the classic. I did not like the passport, that phone was harder to hold than a note 3.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Nice 16 GB on a black berry would be plenty for me. I am not a do every thing on a smart phone type person. I like apps enough that burning through a couple gigs would be way to fast but not a lets play games on my phone. I have my tablet for that so no need for it on a phone. some time burners reversi aka othello and the ilk yeh rest na.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis

Premium Member

Definitely a phone to check out. Buy it through shopblackberry website because you can return within 30 days and they are hassle free. At least that was my experience when returning the passport.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

Let's see the iPhone 4, released in July 2010, got OS updates until September 2014. Four years two months. I'm hard pressed to think of any company that supports their mobile devices for so long.

They can do it that long due to lack of market fragmentation, android is limited by manufacturers making their own "flavor" of the OS for their devices, so it's up to the manufacturer to support the hardware, and most just drop legacy hardware(Samsung is a good example of this)

Apple anything runs into engineered obsolescence, and the 4s can run ios8(the 4 maxed out at ios7), but it runs it very slowly, they could have made a lightweight version of it, or allowed the user to adjust settings to speed it up, but with it running slowly the user is shown that it's "old" and they should upgrade(because they will have a friend with the latest and greatest to show off how fast and smooth it is).

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
said by monchis:

I just got the new BlackBerry classic

That 3.5mm jack on it -- is it a headset or headphone jack?

One of the things that annoys me with my current phone is it has a headphone jack, as opposed to my previous phone's full headset jack.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis

Premium Member

I tried to google to find out what the differences are and wasn't really able to find anything.

What exactly do you mean? The phone comes with really nice headphones and they have a single mute button.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

I think hes talking about the fact many phones use a smaller than standard head phone jack (think 2mm) vs 3.5 mm that is your standard ipod or other mp3 player and been used sense walkmens.

Unless BB changed it is 3.5mm and uses typical layout for stereo head phones pluss a extra bit for mic. Any headphones will work just fine.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

3 vs 4 pole 3.5mm jack, the micro jack was more or less abandoned due to cost concerns(adapters would have to be provided at sale and bundled in packaging)

3 pole is for standard headphone, 4 for microphone, but some phone companies mix the order up.

to answer sivran's question, both, it will auto detect if there is a 4 or 3 pole inserted.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Yeh allot of phone manus used that crap mini jack. Oddly a few elchepo smart phones still do.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX
said by BonezX:

to answer sivran's question, both, it will auto detect if there is a 4 or 3 pole inserted.

Great. I just might have to consider getting one..

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

the headphones that usually come with the phone can be used as a headset as well(assuming it has an inline mic on it), but if your going to go traditional headset make sure what you get is 3.5mm 4 pole or comes with an adapter.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

I have a couple of headsets like that and a headset adapter that turns any pair of headphones into a headset. That's the main thing I want to use, particularly for when I'm working from home. Sometimes I end up stuck on the phone for a while.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
If it helps when I plug the headphones in it says 'headset plugged in' (: the headphones that come with the phone have a mic.

JohnCC
join:2005-12-19
none

JohnCC to BonezX

to BonezX
said by BonezX:

said by Riamen:

They can do it that long due to lack of market fragmentation, android is limited by manufacturers making their own "flavor" of the OS for their devices, so it's up to the manufacturer to support the hardware, and most just drop legacy hardware(Samsung is a good example of this)

Apple anything runs into engineered obsolescence, and the 4s can run ios8(the 4 maxed out at ios7), but it runs it very slowly, they could have made a lightweight version of it, or allowed the user to adjust settings to speed it up, but with it running slowly the user is shown that it's "old" and they should upgrade(because they will have a friend with the latest and greatest to show off how fast and smooth it is).

There are lots of things you can disable within iOS 8.x itself to make iPhone 4s and 4 run smoother as well. I disabled all the animations and everything fancy on iOS 7 when that was lagging my old iPhone 4 and it ran significantly better. Very usable for what I needed it for. Apple doesn't do it by default which I think is poor for the customer; instead they just ship iOS to those devices and know full well that the experience is crippled without tweaking. Furthermore, they keep their JIT compiler for JS all to themselves.

The iPhone 4 was "aging tech" but it still didn't 'need' to be let go just yet, it was arbitrarily forced into obsolescence. Imagine if Microsoft pulled this crap with Windows and their laptops/desktops, a lot of people would be mad. As they were with Windows Vista which is considered one of their biggest disasters.

As smart phone hardware gets more powerful and goes through the same type of motions that the early desktop PC market did, the excuse for not continuing to push OS upgrades to 4 year old devices because it's "aging tech" will not be acceptable to me. I will be annoyed if in 3 or 4 years provided I'm still using iPhone 6 it gets cut off from updates simply because Apple bloated iOS past its specifications.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

stevennb to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239
Way too easy.
I shall let it pass.....
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 edit

Riamen to JohnCC

Premium Member

to JohnCC
said by JohnCC:

There are lots of things you can disable within iOS 8.x itself to make iPhone 4s and 4 run smoother as well. I disabled all the animations and everything fancy on iOS 7 when that was lagging my old iPhone 4 and it ran significantly better. Very usable for what I needed it for. Apple doesn't do it by default which I think is poor for the customer; instead they just ship iOS to those devices and know full well that the experience is crippled without tweaking. Furthermore, they keep their JIT compiler for JS all to themselves.

The iPhone 4 was "aging tech" but it still didn't 'need' to be let go just yet, it was arbitrarily forced into obsolescence. Imagine if Microsoft pulled this crap with Windows and their laptops/desktops, a lot of people would be mad. As they were with Windows Vista which is considered one of their biggest disasters.

As smart phone hardware gets more powerful and goes through the same type of motions that the early desktop PC market did, the excuse for not continuing to push OS upgrades to 4 year old devices because it's "aging tech" will not be acceptable to me. I will be annoyed if in 3 or 4 years provided I'm still using iPhone 6 it gets cut off from updates simply because Apple bloated iOS past its specifications.

Apple does/has tweaked iOS to run better on older hardware. They did it last year with iOS 7 for the iPhone 4 by releasing updates that made it run better. They did again this year with iOS 8 and the iPhone 4S. This year Apple decided to drop support for their single-core processor devices. Time to move on. Four years is a long time in the mobile world.

And Microsoft has dropped support on the mobile side. In 2010 they abandoned all their Windows Mobile 6.5 users in favour of Windows Phone 7. Then did again two years later for Windows Phone 8.

And starting with iOS 8 Apple no longer keeps its JIT complier to itself.

Good luck finding a phone that's supported by its maker as long as Apple supports its devices.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
I wish Apple and others would make a phone that has the imaging sensor flipped by 90deg because people are too dumb to hold the phone right for photos and videos may as well solve the issue in the device.

Or disable the video button for the normal camera unless the phone is rotated.

aka solve the vertical video plague.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
The thing is apple is the only producer of their phones. Their mobile side of things is scale-able.

Android is installed on many phones by many different companies as you know. So it's much harder to keep those updated especially since they make a new phone like every 6 months.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

1 recommendation

dennismurphy to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
Someone left the front door open again. The A-holes - just like roaches - can't stay away.