PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Network Log on to shares..??

Hello,

We have an application that connects to a shared folder in a server and downloads an app into the intermect scanner. This server is Windows 2003 and the scanner runs PocketPC 2003.

When i go to file explorer in the scanner and try to "open" (connect) to the old server, i get prompted for a network log on, however, when i try to connect to the new server which is 2008 R2, i dont get the network log on prompt, i just doesnt connect.

Is there anything i should look at? I am really at lost here, i shared the folders with full rights so it's got to be something different in 2003 and 2008 R2 shared folders..

Any ideas?

Thanks
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

...from a networking perspective, ping, traceroute and "telnet [dest port]" are your friends.

From an OS perspective, "netstat" would be my next step, SPECIFICALLY if a session is going on between the IP of the 2008R2 box and the IP of the computer you're testing from.

My 00000010bits

Regards
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
said by PToN:

Is there anything i should look at? I am really at lost here, i shared the folders with full rights so it's got to be something different in 2003 and 2008 R2 shared folders..

Try using FQDN to connect to your share.

\\servername.domainname.com\sharename

Make sure the firewall is disabled on the 2008 box (it has ways of turning itself back on unexpectedly). Or at the very least, it permits SMB traffic.

One other thing to check - on the Windows 2008 server, make sure your WINS entries are proper. Some of that older software only used WINS for name resolution and would ignore your DNS settings all day long.

Validate your WINS servers have the correct entry for your 2008 box.

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

...from a networking perspective, ping, traceroute and "telnet [dest port]" are your friends.

From an OS perspective, "netstat" would be my next step, SPECIFICALLY if a session is going on between the IP of the 2008R2 box and the IP of the computer you're testing from.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Well my client is a Intermec 700c Series running pocketPC 2003, so i am kinda limited on what i can do from there.

I know there is network connectivity as i can ping the pocketpc from the sesrver.
PToN

PToN to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by PToN:

Try using FQDN to connect to your share.

\\servername.domainname.com\sharename

Make sure the firewall is disabled on the 2008 box (it has ways of turning itself back on unexpectedly). Or at the very least, it permits SMB traffic.

One other thing to check - on the Windows 2008 server, make sure your WINS entries are proper. Some of that older software only used WINS for name resolution and would ignore your DNS settings all day long.

Validate your WINS servers have the correct entry for your 2008 box.

PocketPC scanner is in 192.168.0.xxx subnet, new server is on 192.168.50.xx subnet, and old server is on 192.168.0.xxx.

There are no firewalls enabled in any of the servers, nor in between subnets.

We never had WINS so it is all based on DNS and UNC.

All desktops can resolve the "\\NEWSERVER" and "\\OLDSERVER" properly using my DNS, PocketPC scanners can only resolve "\\OLDSERVER". I have tried connecting using "\\NEWSERVER", "\\NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.LAN" and "\\IP-OF-NEWSERVER" and none of it works.

From the PocketPC when i try the \\OLDSERVER i get the Network Log On prompt. But they are both in the same subnet. We really have no firewall in between subnets because of the myriad of applications we use have crazy port requirements.

I am gonna try enabling SMB1 as i read that 2008 ships with 2.0. Maybe that has something to do.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

You may need WINS now...

If you can, try putting your new server on the same network as the scanners.

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

i cant, i ll try putting the scanner in the same network as a test

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Seems what you need is a command line to do basic troubleshooting on the PocketPC device. Check this out:
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· fa6=True

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Well, looks like PocketPC 2003 cant access UNC paths across subnets. I created a new wireless network on the same subnet as the servers and when i tried to connect to the share, the Network Log On screen came up.

Thanks for the help and ideas on getting this solved. I was planning on moving the scanners onto a different wlan, and this seems like the perfect timing.

I will also try WINS and see if solves the problem too.

Thanks for the help
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to PToN

to PToN
said by PToN:

PocketPC scanner is in 192.168.0.xxx subnet, new server is on 192.168.50.xx subnet, and old server is on 192.168.0.xxx.

Does the PocketPC have the correct gateway and subnet? Can you ping the PocketPC from the new server?

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

yes, it has the correct GW and subnet. I could ping the scanner from any server or PC.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to ke4pym

to ke4pym
As I recall WinCE would ignore the DNS entry if a WINS entry was configured. I think you're on the right track that he may need to setup a wins server on that subnet and put in a static entry.

The suggestion to run netstat on the server to see if a connection attempt is even getting to the server is a good one. From an elevated command line, just keep doing `netstat -an | find "192.168.1.1" ` on the server (subst the IP of the pocket pc) while trying to connect.

If any hardening has been done on the 2008 server, it may have lanman and/or ntlmv1 authentication disabled. »technet.microsoft.com/en ··· %29.aspx. SMB digital signing could be an issue too.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Yeah, we have a bunch of legacy pain in the rear devices that get ornery like that. They work in a different sphere of BS that makes no sense at all.

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

yep, so just in case anyone else needs it.

After adding WINS and creating a static entry, the PocketPC was able to reach the file server across different subnets.

Thanks for the help