All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel

How to split cable with minimal signal loss

I have a wall coax jack currently hooked up to one DVR. I need to split this so it goes to a CableCard setup, which IIUC is best to split into the CableCard and TA and not use pass thru. So the line will have 3 splits: DVR, CableCard, TA. How best to accomplish this? Is there a powered amp anyone could recommend? I don't have or intend to use MoCA, if that makes a difference.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

I would avoid using an amp. Just get a balanced 3-way splitter. Don't split it twice (for example, don't split it, and then split one of the outputs again).

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44 to Aprel

to Aprel
dont get a cheap splitter. Get ones rated for 2.4 GHz and gold plated, believe me it makes a difference, especially if there is a marginal signal level.
Speaking from experience with splitters.
Aprel

Aprel

said by geo44:

dont get a cheap splitter. Get ones rated for 2.4 GHz and gold plated, believe me it makes a difference, especially if there is a marginal signal level.

Like this?

»www.amazon.com/Cable-Mat ··· 0KO8W9RA
the65gto
join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL

the65gto to Aprel

to Aprel
When my house was built 13 years ago, I chose to have multiple outlets in the house. i.e. 2 in the bedroom's for when the wife decides to rearrange etc. One outlet is connected, the other is open. To solve this, I asked BHN to install one of their amps. It is a 1 in and 9 out, believe it to be a "0" gain amp, with about 2/3 of the connectors being actively used. 10 years without any problems (knock, knock). Splitters will always have some loss.

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44 to Aprel

to Aprel
That should work - it looks well made.

But if you have trouble you may have to go the route the65gto did if there is too much signal loss.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

1 recommendation

mixdup to Aprel

to Aprel
That looks super cheap. Forget about "gold plated", that's a gimmick. You get what you pay for, I'd go with an Extreme Broadband or Antronix splitter. Those are both brands used by cable companies. You'd never see one of those "gold plated" knock off things on an installer's truck.

opp
@71.47.131.x

opp to Aprel

Anon

to Aprel
There is a guy selling 3 way balanced Antronix for $3 free shipping, bought one recently to feed a DTA, TA, cablecard Tivo.
opp

opp

Anon

That is on ebay.

Gold25K
@72.239.217.x

Gold25K to Aprel

Anon

to Aprel
Image posted from : »www.antronix.net/Product ··· port.php
said by Aprel:

said by geo44:

Like this?

»www.amazon.com/Cable-Mat ··· 0KO8W9RA

What difference does the gold plated make on a coax? Your center copper clad steal doesn't touch the outside gold so what difference would it make other than just spending a bunch of money on something that just looks nice. Go with Antronix or PCT same as BH uses works fine.

PCT:
»www.pctstore.com/Splitte ··· s/27.htm

Antronix:
»www.amazon.com/Antronix- ··· 01E4OH1E

»www.antronix.net/Product ··· ives&i=7
3000 series is an overkill with Antronix but your choice offers camport and eclipse technology.

You can also read this thread on DSLR:
»Are Antronix Splitters High Quality ?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Aprel

Premium Member

to Aprel
said by Aprel:

I have a wall coax jack currently hooked up to one DVR. I need to split this so it goes to a CableCard setup, which IIUC is best to split into the CableCard and TA and not use pass thru. So the line will have 3 splits: DVR, CableCard, TA. How best to accomplish this? Is there a powered amp anyone could recommend? I don't have or intend to use MoCA, if that makes a difference.

If you have no intention of using MoCA then use the passthrough on the TA and be done with it.

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits

geo44 to Gold25K

to Gold25K
said by Gold25K :

What difference does the gold plated make on a coax? Your center copper clad steal doesn't touch the outside gold so what difference would it make other than just spending a bunch of money on something that just looks nice. Go with Antronix or PCT same as BH uses works fine.

All I can tell you is that the more expensive one worked better for me. And the center conductor on the splitter is also gold plated, so the center coax conductor does touch gold.

Gold25K
@72.239.217.x

Gold25K

Anon

said by geo44:

said by Gold25K :

All I can tell you is that the more expensive one worked better for me. And the center conductor on the splitter is also gold plated, so the center coax conductor does touch gold.

Love to see you take a picture of one cause I haven't seen a gold center conductor yet. A bit hard to rip it open for average consumer but try it if you like and post it. That would interesting to see if they really back up the gold plated thing.

If it makes a difference for you then I would stick with it.

My experience is lots of hype. Reminds me of THX certified. Certified to meet the specs for THX but not necessarily the best out there and others make the same product but don't pay an arm and a leg for the Certification. Blah

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

1 recommendation

mixdup to geo44

to geo44
gold plated is just a gimmick. get a good, solid, well made splitter that is rated for the frequencies you need. I have never seen a cable or satellite company use gold plated anything and I think that is for a reason.

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

geo44

said by mixdup:

gold plated is just a gimmick. .

wrong, look at most components that go in a computer , edge connectors etc.. and on the cpu pins

I think cost is the big factor as to why cable companies dont gold plated.
maximize profits ...

Anyway just go with what works best for you.

EDIT: Just to clarify , gold plate is more for corrosion resistance, not really for signal level.
geo44

2 edits

geo44 to Gold25K

to Gold25K
Click for full size
I can see through the hole for the center conductor , not sure if it would show in a photo but I can try, it would be near impossible to crack this one open , but I dont want to destroy it anyway

this is the one i have - from home depot:
»www.homedepot.com/p/GE-2 ··· 02698993

EDIT - picture added
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to Aprel

to Aprel
said by Aprel:

How best to accomplish this?

Hi, the xpert gave you a good answer and will cost you....nothing but the time to try it. If it doesn't, then consider your splitter options, get one rated at least 1GHz, but 2GHz if you even have considered using MoCA in the future. If you need a splitter check inside that wall port to see if there is another splitter nearby feeding it. If there is and you need to use a splitter anyway, assuming you can get to it, consider replacing that one and do a direct run to your devices. You may have to go with a different box cover though, it won't look as nice, but you will get better signal strength.
Happy holidays and seasons greetings to all.
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra

Totally concur that gold plating on connectors is for corrosion resistance, thus providing better connection over a much longer period of time, all other things being equal.
Aprel

Aprel

said by BHNtechXpert:

If you have no intention of using MoCA then use the passthrough on the TA and be done with it.

said by fcfc2:

Hi, the xpert gave you a good answer and will cost you....nothing but the time to try it. If it doesn't, then consider your splitter options, get one rated at least 1GHz, but 2GHz if you even have considered using MoCA in the future. If you need a splitter check inside that wall port to see if there is another splitter nearby feeding it. If there is and you need to use a splitter anyway, assuming you can get to it, consider replacing that one and do a direct run to your devices. You may have to go with a different box cover though, it won't look as nice, but you will get better signal strength.

Just to clarify, I need the same coax line connected to both the DVR and CableCard setup, so whether I use pass thru or not to the TA, I still need to split the line.

I'd much rather split the line externally than dealing with the house wiring, if possible. Is there a way to check the signal strength on the DVR in diagnostics to determine whether passive splitting is feasible?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Aprel:

if possible. Is there a way to check the signal strength on the DVR in diagnostics

Get with me in direct....
Aprel

Aprel

said by BHNtechXpert:

Get with me in direct....

Posting now....

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to geo44

to geo44
said by geo44:

EDIT: Just to clarify , gold plate is more for corrosion resistance, not really for signal level.

Well, I hope the conditions behind his TV isn't corroding the splitters, otherwise the splitters are the least of his worries.

Gold25K
@72.239.217.x

Gold25K

Anon

said by mixdup:

said by geo44:

Well, I hope the conditions behind his TV isn't corroding the splitters, otherwise the splitters are the least of his worries.

Seriously don't see corrosion being an issue antronix uses

•Nickel alloy plating
•Zinc alloy diecast housing

So if that isn't enough the specs on the non gold plated Antronix and PCT are listed on there website. Hard to find the specs on those run of the mill GE or whatever generic brand.

GE , RCA ect.. are decent companies but they don't specialize in this area they just carry a product line.

I guess some just like to think it is going to make a difference in connection quality. The splitter is just as important and the tap and the rest of the drop. Your weakest link is still the weakest link.

BH only uses good quality parts because if they buy cheap stuff then they will have to pay at the end and most good companies know this.
Aprel

Aprel

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the splitter yet (waiting to here back in direct on signal levels).

I'm seeing a lot of coax splitters specified for 5-1000 MHz. What's the functional difference between that and >2 GHz bandwidth splitters?

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

One works for 5-1000mhz and one works up to 2ghz or more?

The 2Ghz splitters are required for DirecTV single wire installations, whereas almost all cable systems are 1000mhz or less.
Aprel

Aprel

said by mixdup:

One works for 5-1000mhz and one works up to 2ghz or more?

Well I know that
said by mixdup:

The 2Ghz splitters are required for DirecTV single wire installations, whereas almost all cable systems are 1000mhz or less.

Yeah, wanted to get confirmation that BHN doesn't use super-gigahertz frequencies for TV. Advantages to buying a 1000MHz model? Generally less signal loss, less noise, etc.? Why wouldn't I just opt for 2GHz splitter for a less filtered signal?
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

The 1-1000GHz splitters are for frequencies used by cable tv systems, above 1GHz to 1.7GHz, are for cable companies that use MoCA enabled devices, 2GHz and above are for use with satelite systems. The higher firequencies are compatible with all the systems but MoCA can and frequently does work with splitters rated as 1GHz, it is said to be powerful enough to "blow through" but it is generally better to use the correctly rated splitters for your system.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to Aprel

MVM

to Aprel
If you aren’t going to use MOCA get a 2 way splitter rated at least 1 GHz and use the TA pass through to the cable card tuner. You can buy it at Home depot.
Aprel

Aprel

Thanks, all. Just placed an order online for the CableCard tuner and an Antronix 2-way splitter following your advice and recommendations.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Aprel:

Thanks, all. Just placed an order online for the CableCard tuner and an Antronix 2-way splitter following your advice and recommendations.

Which cable card tuner?