Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to juilinsandar

Premium Member

to juilinsandar

Re: [TV] Supergirl TV Show Gets Series Commitment from CBS

said by juilinsandar:

"Well she looks a bit smug doesn't she. I wish they would cast female action & super heroes with women that look like they can actually fight like Xenia Warrior Princess and their male counterparts. This girl looks like she spends her evenings listening to Jessie Ware and organising her scented candles."

Lucy Lawless was a very believable ass kicker. Katheryn Winnick on the other hand looks like a tasty wall flower. One that can make you pay for making such a mistake and not even mess up her hair.

Heck, ever Sarah Michelle Gellar started "soft" on Buffy. But as the show progressed and she earned her black belt [I think in Tae Kwon do], she lost some of that softness.

Maybe we'll see such an evolution with the actress playing Super girl.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

Just some food for thought, here's the comic(?) versions of Supergirl's uniform over the years

If you're not "digging it," Idunno, would something like the Ame Comi version have been more to your taste?

Regards

You can forget about them ever making a Power Girl show or movie, and keeping that true to form.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to juilinsandar

MVM

to juilinsandar
said by juilinsandar:

I found this quote on the daily mail, regarding the recently released pic of the actress in her costume, and i thought it was true and funny.

"Well she looks a bit smug doesn't she. I wish they would cast female action & super heroes with women that look like they can actually fight like Xenia Warrior Princess and their male counterparts. This girl looks like she spends her evenings listening to Jessie Ware and organising her scented candles."

Interesting point,.....

When I think of who could play a female Kryptonian I think of "Jennifer Widerstrom". She meets the physical standards at least.

I would describe what they went with as unassuming, lacking distinctive features, drab and maybe a little boring,..... and as I said before the costume isn't all that appealing IMO either,.....

See what I did there,....

Natrually I'm kidding but I do think their choices are somewhat underwhelming overall.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to 91862239

MVM

to 91862239
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by HELLFIRE:

Just some food for thought, here's the comic(?) versions of Supergirl's uniform over the years

If you're not "digging it," Idunno, would something like the Ame Comi version have been more to your taste?

You can forget about them ever making a Power Girl show or movie, and keeping that true to form.

...what was that one Sheldon Cooper quote : "I see in ultimate high definition, I use my imagination?"

Far as I can tell, they've got most of the major pieces in place for this and filming's already started -- all that's missing is the pilot broadcast date
and timeslot... and I for one am looking forward to this!

And to be fair, you've got to give this at least an episode or two to see what they can / will do...

Regards

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic to juilinsandar

Premium Member

to juilinsandar
said by juilinsandar:

I'm not sure Supergirl needs to be buff like Xena. She doesn't get her powers from the gym, or from training. She could look like Honey Boo Boo's mom and still lift a train with one hand. Still, there's nothing about the casting or costume so far that screams "SUPERGIRL!" either.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

1 recommendation

juilinsandar

Premium Member

Click for full size
I think Xena was strong and feminine, not necesarilly buff.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by juilinsandar:

I think Xena was strong and feminine, not necesarilly buff.

Agreed.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

2 recommendations

TheBionic to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Octavean to TheBionic

MVM

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by juilinsandar:

I'm not sure Supergirl needs to be buff like Xena. She doesn't get her powers from the gym, or from training. She could look like Honey Boo Boo's mom and still lift a train with one hand. Still, there's nothing about the casting or costume so far that screams "SUPERGIRL!" either.

That's a good point,.....

In Flashpoint Paradox (based on the comic books) Superman's arrival on earth as an infant resulted in him being imprisoned from the very start and never seeing the sun. That is to say, until his liberation by Cyborg, Flsah and Batman (AKA Thomas Wayne). They found an emaciated Kryptonian that could scarcely speak or walk but once he was exposed to the sun he was (presumably) the most powerful thing on the planet:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· G5tEMm0c

Ultimately this is all up to interpretation though as well as artistic and creative license. So in this case they can obviously make Super Girl look like just about anything they want. What guides their decision making is likely governed by who they want to appeal to most.

This appears to be a very "safe" approach that they have taken with the costume and the actor. There is nothing provocative here,....not that there is anything wrong with that necessarily.

I'll just say this,..

I enjoyed watching Star Trek Voyager quite a bit and fully respected the inclusion of a female captain. Still the addition of Jeri Ryan to the cast later made me enjoy the show so much more and it wasn't the Borg eyepiece that did it,......

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I'd say it's a very fine line they are trying to walk. CBS will want to appeal to the comics fan base, which stereotypically would be young to middle-age men (not saying there aren't women who like superheroes, I'm just trying to get into the mind of CBS execs). So you want sex appeal. But if you make an overly sexual Supergirl in a tiny skirt and sports bra like some here want to see you risk a lot of hoopla in today's always-ready-to-be-outraged society. Plus we don't even know this particular Supergirl yet, skimpy clothing might be totally out of character for her.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Case in point:
Peter Porker, Spider-ham.
Yep, in an alternate universe Parker is a spider that got turned into a pig.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Ham

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -Ioa4XQw
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

I'd say it's a very fine line they are trying to walk. CBS will want to appeal to the comics fan base, which stereotypically would be young to middle-age men (not saying there aren't women who like superheroes, I'm just trying to get into the mind of CBS execs). So you want sex appeal. But if you make an overly sexual Supergirl in a tiny skirt and sports bra like some here want to see you risk a lot of hoopla in today's always-ready-to-be-outraged society. Plus we don't even know this particular Supergirl yet, skimpy clothing might be totally out of character for her.

True. I'll add that it being on CBS, they lack the "feels" to do teen/Young adult angst the way the CW and MTV manage to do it.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

What the hell is MTV? Oh yeah... I remember, it was that channel that used to play music videos. Now? I have no idea.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

Snakeoil

Premium Member

MTV happens to be the home of a decently done werewolf series called Teenwolf. If you haven't seen it, you might like it.

It also has a "crime drama" called Eye Candy. Which is kinda slow, but kinda interesting.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to TheBionic

MVM

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

Sex appeal,....

Well,.......yes and no,....

Do attractive people get preferential treatment?
quote:
According to various studies, these provide measures of health, good genes, intelligence, and success. More often than not, the world rewards beauty.

Read more: »www.businessinsider.com/ ··· Tzwz72hU
You can tone down sexual appeal without turning down general physical attractiveness. My point is that it seems as though they went rather plain on both the actor and the costume.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

My point is that it seems as though they went rather plain on both the actor and the costume.

I can see complaints about the costume, but the fact you're judging the actress by her 'plain' looks before you ever see her act is part of the reason they have to walk such a fine line and try to please everyone before the series even airs (EDIT: I'm as guilty as anyone here). Having a superhero show is a big step, having a female superhero show is a bigger step. Too sexy and they're going to get guff. Not sexy enough and they're going to get guff. If this was Green Lantern would the fans be complaining because he was 'too plain'?

The series might suck, but it might not. I'll admit, when I saw that it was going to be on CBS I wasn't that thrilled. I don't remember the last time I was actually interested in an hour long network TV show. They tend to lack the will to do anything even slightly edgy or interesting for the reasons listed above. But I'll give it a whirl.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I enjoyed watching Star Trek Voyager quite a bit and fully respected the inclusion of a female captain. Still the addition of Jeri Ryan to the cast later made me enjoy the show so much more and it wasn't the Borg eyepiece that did it,......

Her first catsuit was so tight that she fainted on the set. When I was looking for an internet nom de plume I wasn't feeling too creative, but it seemed like a good idea at the time to join her unimatrix.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to TheBionic

MVM

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Octavean:

My point is that it seems as though they went rather plain on both the actor and the costume.

I can see complaints about the costume, but the fact you're judging the actress by her 'plain' looks before you ever see her act is part of the reason they have to walk such a fine line and try to please everyone before the series even airs. Having a superhero show is a big step, having a female superhero show is a bigger step. Too sexy and they're going to get guff. Not sexy enough and they're going to get guff. If this was Green Lantern would the fans be complaining because he was 'too plain'?

One would think they could avoid all this by simply targeting a younger demographic. In other words truly making Super Girl a girl rather then a woman. However, even there you don't necessarily sidestep the issue that the child cast should be a cute child. The middle path that they have chosen is obvious either way though.

I realize that a lot of what I am saying will seem rather shallow and that definitely isn't my intention but I am trying to address a part of human nature. Its no mistake that Disney movies typically depicts an "evil" character as less attractive or a "good" character as more attractive. Even if we as adults know better,....

As for your Green Lantern question, I don't know for sure. Although, I would guess that there were some people that didn't much care for Ryan Reynolds being cast in the 2011 movie (sight unseen). I think they probably could have done better with the casting there too (and the writing but hindsight is 20/20).

Given all that has been said here I'm starting to wonder how the Avengers movies got away with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow in that costume. Perhaps its the difference between network TV and movies.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Agreed, and I'm not advocating for CBS to necessarily follow the 'safe' route either. I like edgier, more intelligent scripts with more mature themes and network tv isn't usually the place to get stuff like that. I'm just trying to see where they are coming from.

One thing I personally don't like about the character as shown is that she's not a blonde. Every Supergirl I've ever been familiar with has been blonde (although I'm sure there are some versions of her in the comic universe where she's not). That seems like a silly complaint, but damn it, Supergirl is blonde. So is The Flash, for that matter. Why change something like that?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

2 recommendations

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

I'll admit, when I saw that it was going to be on CBS I wasn't that thrilled. I don't remember the last time I was actually interested in an hour long network TV show. They tend to lack the will to do anything even slightly edgy or interesting for the reasons listed above. But I'll give it a whirl.

I guess you haven't watched Person of Interest yet. It's on CBS, and I think it's a fantastic show.Very edgy, surprising amount of action and violence, and very well-written and acted.

This one is on NBC and is also a great show, The Blacklist.

My issue with this Supergirl has nothing to do with sexiness, and everything to do with the costume. I'm a comic book fan, and I can understand somewhat modifying the costume, but this is absurd. She practically looks like a Quaker with a cape.
They could have made her costume look really good, but not skimpy, but still enough to keep it at least believable and close to the comics, without looking prudish.
Alpha Phoenix

1 edit

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

One thing I personally don't like about the character as shown is that she's not a blonde. Every Supergirl I've ever been familiar with has been blonde (although I'm sure there are some versions of her in the comic universe where she's not). That seems like a silly complaint, but damn it, Supergirl is blonde. So is The Flash, for that matter. Why change something like that?

Agreed about Supergirl being blonde. That's just dumb on their part.

And re. The Flash being blonde, that's depends. Only Barry Allen was blonde. Jay Garrick has black hair, Wally West has Red Hair, and Bart Allen has brown hair. (Told you I'm a comic fad. )

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

Yeah but The Flash in the TV show is Barry Allen, who is blonde. His foster sister's boyfriend looks more like the traditional Flash than the current actor does. And yeah I have heard good things about The Blacklist, I'll check it and Person of Interest out sometime thanks!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I realize that a lot of what I am saying will seem rather shallow and that definitely isn't my intention but I am trying to address a part of human nature. Its no mistake that Disney movies typically depicts an "evil" character as less attractive or a "good" character as more attractive. Even if we as adults know better,....

Not necessarily true. Things have been changing.
The Evil Queen played by Charlize Theron in Sonw White and the Huntsman was smoking hot.
And I would've definitely romped with Angelina Jolie in Maleficent.
said by Octavean:

As for your Green Lantern question, I don't know for sure. Although, I would guess that there were some people that didn't much care for Ryan Reynolds being cast in the 2011 movie (sight unseen). I think they probably could have done better with the casting there too (and the writing but hindsight is 20/20).

I agree with you there. I think Ryan Reynolds would have made a better Flash. He's naturally a smartass, so I think he would have made a better Wally West.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by Octavean:

Not necessarily true. Things have been changing.
The Evil Queen played by Charlize Theron in Sonw White and the Huntsman was smoking hot.
And I would've definitely romped with Angelina Jolie in Maleficent.

Which is why I said "typically" instead of always,.....

I was specifically thinking about those movies as the exception when I made that post along with a few others. For the general norm though I was thinking more in terms of cartoons where the artist takes artisic license and deliberately depicts a less attractive character.

Great examples though,....

When casting a part one makes equally deliberate decisions though. Casting Angelina Jolie for example is a big statement that they want one of the most beautiful women working in the industry.

On the other hand, casting someone who one might have difficulty remebering the features of their face because they are so non-distinct suggests that they want someone very different.

Actual skill acting does come into play though,......

While on the subject of famous names and faces, it's worth pointing out that the one they have chosen to play Super Girl seems to be a relative unknown. So there's that,....

That's not necessarily a bad thing though,....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
They , and many other "video channels" rarely play music videos anymore, since they cost money. It used to be a promotional tool for the bands, and now they music industry figured out , lets monetize it.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to 91862239

MVM

to 91862239
»supergirl.tv/1st-reveal-of-suit -- New pics of Melissa B in the Supergirl costume, for better or worse.
Definately echos the classic movie Helen Slater and comics Matrix version of the costume, tho I still prefer
the lighter shade of blue used then. I'm guessing with more lighting will bring out the blues...

Otherwise I get the sense that Melissa B's quite comfortable with the suit and role.

Regards

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239
they should lose the cape already... for batman it's functional tech, on supergirl it's totally pointless.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to 91862239

MVM

to 91862239
...what is it people have against the cape? Every incarnation I've seen of Supergirl in the movies and comics has had the cape. I saw one or two pics of the non-cape version from Smallville, but that didn't look "right" to me.

My 00000010bits

Regards

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239
So, not sure of the source of info in the first post but this states that CBS just made its first series order for the 2015-16 and it's for Supergirl.

»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· s/140619
HELLFIRE
MVM

1 edit

HELLFIRE to 91862239

MVM

to 91862239
Here's another link Now just get me a confirmed timeslot and teaser / trailer / pilot and I'm happy as a pig in mud!

...as for a crossover with the Arrow and Flash tv series... DEFINATELY top of my list'd be a friendly race between Kara and Barry.
Something like this Or this one with Jessie Quick.

Regards