uniqs

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

Do you call it Vanilla or Classic?

I've seen a lot of irate posters over on MMO fight over the correct term for the original, pre-Burning Crusade version of WoW. As I started at the end of Wrath, I'm a relative newcomer to the game and I've always thought of it as Vanilla.

To me, Vanilla means something that is plain; a base; something that is fine by itself but has the potential to get better as you add more things upon it. And once you add something to Vanilla it's pretty much impossible to take those things out and go back. This is exactly how I see WoW today.

Classic is something that has aged and is still viable in its original form. The first thing that comes to mind is a classic car. Sure, it might have some modern parts in it to keep it going but at the core, it's still the original and still functions like the original. If WoW had instances that existed today that ran a version from pre-BC days, I could see calling those playable instances classic. But they don't exist anymore and probably never will.

Personally, I'm not passionate either way about it. I understand they both refer to the pre-BC era and don't care to throw down over terminology. But I'd like to get a feel for how some of you think of the terms. Which do you call it?

Energystream
Premium Member
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY

Energystream

Premium Member

I started playing April following release (Dire Maul was released within a week of me starting). I refer to it as Vanilla, but early on I also used "Original Game". I may use Classic sometimes, but I think the standard term would be Vanilla.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

Yup, I use Vanilla as well. I started during Closed Beta. I've heard people called Vanilla all sorts of things in the years following the original release. Of course, during Vanilla, it was just WoW, not Vanilla, not Classic, or any of that jazz (obviously) since it was the only iteration of the game. Not sure why anyone would get their panties in a bunch over Vanilla versus Classic though.

seaquake
MVM
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

said by Adalicia:

Not sure why anyone would get their panties in a bunch over Vanilla versus Classic though.

I'm thinking the average age (and IQ) of the posters over in MMO is in the low double-digits. They seem to piss and moan about everything.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
I'm willing to bet that those who insist on "classic" do so because that was how the game was labeled during BC. You had "classic" and "The Burning Crusade".

As a bit of a foodie, I stick with Vanilla, because it is the base of nearly all good ice-cream. You can add flavors to it, but it's only as good as its vanilla base.

seaquake
MVM
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

said by Immer:

it's only as good as its vanilla base.

Exactly. My wife never understands why I first try vanilla ice cream or plain cheesecake when visiting a restaurant for the first time. This is exactly why. If the base is good then the next time back, I'll try something else based on the "vanilla". If it isn't good, then I'll try something completely different.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to seaquake

to seaquake
I personally use vanilla even though I have been playing over 10 years. Either term would work I think. I'm not particular.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
I started in Wrath as well (somewhere around 3.1 or 3.2, the Colosseum was just being constructed) so despite having several expansions under my belt now, I too consider myself a "new" player still in some ways compared to the player that has been around since the beginning. Ironically, my next door neighbor was an original player and I've been "exposed" to it since it's release (though I never played any of the Warcraft games prior) but it took me moving to Tucson and my Uncle giving me his acct for me to actually play lol.

Classic vs vanilla is something I never really thought of and I tend to use them interchangeably. You can use either term and I'll know what you're talking about and it won't phase me either way. I do like your explanation for preferring to call it vanilla though, it makes great sense.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
that whole thread on MMo was full of craziness, i particularly like the guy going ape shit about people using dps instead of DD, but ya vanilla or classic does not bother me, as long as i can understand what context and/or point someone is trying to convey it is all good with me, what we say in game is not going to memorialized in any way so , use what ever you want.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
Vanilla was pre-patch 1.6.