OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Installing cat 6 at my location

Hello.

I am planning to install ethernet at my location or getting someone to wire my whole house with ethernet. Does anyone know who can I call to have someone wire my house with cat 6

Thank you in advance.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E

Premium Member

Any low voltage comapany or electrician can do this for you.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
New structure or existing?

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites to OpTiC

Anon

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

Hello.

I am planning to install ethernet at my location or getting someone to wire my whole house with ethernet. Does anyone know who can I call to have someone wire my house with cat 6

Thank you in advance.

my electrician did mine building a new house...but in your case that's expensive if you have a crawl space do it that way.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
existing
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey to OpTiC

to OpTiC
May I ask why you need it all wired? Why not a good wireless router and only a couple of wired ports in strategic locations?

And why Cat6? Cat5e is fine and will be for years to come.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
Slab or crawlspace?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to Speedy Petey

Premium Member

to Speedy Petey
I currently have ASUS AC87U. Wireless isn't enough for my needs.
OpTiC

OpTiC to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
crawlspace

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Well that is a bit easier to deal with...gives you some options.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to Speedy Petey

Premium Member

to Speedy Petey
I need Ethernet because my computers need to utilize my 200/20 connection from Time Warner Cable. I didn't prepare for it. I was suppose to
1) upgrade to the AC87U
2) replace wireless cards to n or better
3) wire the house with ethernet
OpTiC

OpTiC to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
When I wire the house I need to get a switch and place it at the garage. Then the wire goes to the attic.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

When I wire the house I need to get a switch and place it at the garage. Then the wire goes to the attic.

If a garage in CA is anything like a garage in FL, that switch won't last long...

You want to install the switch in a conditioned space and build out your cabling infrastructure from there.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is where I am planning to put the switches. I think I need to get a rack because this is where I am going to place the Tivo Mega once it comes out
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
Cat6 for a house is way overkill. Cat5e does Gig just fine.

A lot of cabling guys run away from residential because it's a real PITA to install.

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites

Anon

said by AsherN:

Cat6 for a house is way overkill. Cat5e does Gig just fine.

A lot of cabling guys run away from residential because it's a real PITA to install.

Better to go with Cat 6 like I did for the future.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

3 recommendations

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by Termites :

If you really want to "future proof" it - install conduit.

KLH
join:2001-09-24
Vincennes, IN

2 recommendations

KLH to OpTiC

to OpTiC
When dealing with 1000 ft rolls of Cat5 vs Cat6, the difference in price is $0.02/ foot.

Might as well spend the few extra dollars and go for the better cable.

Heck they are already selling Cat7 cable now!
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
Local electrician did my Cat6. I terminated it all myself, he just pulled the wire and installed the boxes where I wanted.

The electrician didn't seem to mind at all. He did ask what it was for because he had never pulled it before.

I went with Cat6 because the price difference is so small...why not.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

4 recommendations

tschmidt to Termites

MVM

to Termites
said by Termites :

Could you share with us how Cat6 future proofs better than Cat5e?

Cat5e supports Gig Ethernet. Cat6 does support the next higher speed 10G but only over relatively short distance, 55M. Do you think that speed will be useful in a residential environment any time soon? If you anticipate having to support the next higher speed better to use Cat6A. However at that speed multimode fiber becomes a viable choice as copper is being pushed to its limits.

IMHO having built a house many years ago and added networking over the last 15 years the best way to future proof is to install conduit as suggested by AVonGauss See Profile and cable chases to make it easier to add wiring later, rather then worry about whether or not the wire you have already installed is good for the next higher speed. No matter how well you plan you will find out later that it would be nice to have a network drop in an unanticipated location.

Case in point I just built an aquarium controller for my wife. It has a web interface so it needs a wired LAN interface. So next week I will be installing another LAN drop. If you had told me to be sure to include a LAN drop by the aquarium 15 years ago when I installed the first few network drops I would have said you were crazy.

/tom
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

Could you share with us how Cat6 future proofs better than Cat5e?

I would argue that it does future proof some, but if you were to measure how much "future-proofing" it provides, not much. You can do 10gig over Cat6, where you can't with 5e.

I wouldn't go with Cat 6 under the premise of future proofing, it just makes sense economically to me. It doesn't cost that much more, and is better quality than 5e. Doing fiber, conduit, etc., are a lot more expensive than going from Cat 5e to 6. I would wager it would probably cost about $50 more (if that) to install Cat 6 instead of 5e in a small residential install. $50 for 10gig (possible) connections and a better quality cable. Why wouldn't you pay the extra?

If you have runs that are going to be over 150ft, I'd think about 6a, it would run probably $150-$250 more to buy than 5e.

As far as 10gig in the home goes...did you think 15 years ago you would see 100meg-1gig in the home? Hell, I have 100meg available to me (Charter) and I live out in the middle of nowhere, where two years ago all I could get was 3meg. 10G in the home is happening now according to the front page (although that's just one provider, and by no means the norm) »Minnesota's US Internet Offers 10 Gbps For $400 [93] comments

JimDandy
@184.154.163.x

1 recommendation

JimDandy to OpTiC

Anon

to OpTiC
See if you can find a security alarm installer. My experience is they are experts in getting cables through walls without having to cut holes.

You probably will have to install your own fittings but installing female fittings is simple and no tools are required as the fitting usually comes with a plastic punch down tool. Male fittings are tougher to install and you need a crimper. The best crimpers allow the wire to be fed through the fitting so it is easier to verify the pairs are inserted correctly before crimping.

Punch everything down to the 568B standard (Marked on fittings ) and then test each run. You can buy a simple testor that will test the continuity of every pair for $5 - $10.

You don't need to buy a structured wiring panel. Instead you can easily mount 4 -6 female RJ45 jacks in a duplex box which you can mount on your garage wall

Buy pre made jumpers to connect to connect from the switch to your jacks mounted on the wall.

Keeping the switch in the garage may shorten its life but if it only lasts a couple of years its not a big deal since you can buy an eight port gigabyte switch for $50. The Tivo I would definitely keep inside.
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Just HOW is it any more of a PIA than any other type of cable to install.

No, some guys shy away from it because they've never done it and are afraid of change. That or they simply do not want to bother to learn something "new".
I do see a trend in some guys to be afraid of new things and technology.
I still to this day get snarky and sometimes surprised comments when I show up to a job site with an iPad to take notes and pictures.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

AsherN

Premium Member

said by Speedy Petey:

said by AsherN:

Just HOW is it any more of a PIA than any other type of cable to install.

No, some guys shy away from it because they've never done it and are afraid of change. That or they simply do not want to bother to learn something "new".
I do see a trend in some guys to be afraid of new things and technology.
I still to this day get snarky and sometimes surprised comments when I show up to a job site with an iPad to take notes and pictures.

Low voltage guys deal with industrial. Open ceilings, vertical metal studs, open walls.

In residential, you have to deal with insulation in the walls, horizontal braces, finished ceilings.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
I want cat 6 because I want to future proof everything in my house. My router is future proof with the latest ac 2400. If I use cat 5e it will be wired for my entire network.
OpTiC

OpTiC to JimDandy

Premium Member

to JimDandy
I don't have a home alarm that's not an option.

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites to KLH

Anon

to KLH
said by KLH:

Heck they are already selling Cat7 cable now!

No there's cat 8-9 out

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to applerule

Premium Member

to applerule
I have up to 500 Mbps from Verizon Fios or 300 mbps from Time Warner. I actually live in the metro part LA. I have great internet competition from TWC MAXX and Verizon Fios. for the cat 7 Ethernet I actually own cat 7 cables but I don't feel the need for cat 7 wiring.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to OpTiC

to OpTiC
i also feel there is 0 need for a 200mbit connection for any residential computer, but that said my entire house is wired with cat 6, ac2400 is not future proof either, everything will change, always

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I mean for now