spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH

[Rant] The Sadness Of Modern Minor League Baseball

The local minor league baseball team (the Mud Hens) used to play in an old, run down building in the suburbs that was once a harness track. It was probably an embarrassment to the team and for out-of-town visitors to go to but I loved it. Then, when the decision was made to build something new there was a great debate about where to put it with the POWERS THAT BE insisting that it HAD to be downtown and not in the peaceful suburbs. And so it was done, and now since 2002 we have a beautiful stadium downtown that I HATE TO GO TO!!!

I realize that one of the goals was to create a kid/family friendly experience, but what they make you pay for now is just a CIRCUS that would make Ringling Brothers proud....and it is LOUD. When I leave there my head hurts. When there is an intermission in the CIRCUS, nine men and one batter run out onto the field and go through the motions of something that vaguely looks like a game I used to like watching. Of my own volition I don't go there any more, but I have to suffer with it at least once a year when my rellies visit because that is what they like to do. Paying for the bus ride TO the game (to avoid the parking fees) is okay, but the bus won't bring you back until after the FIREWORKS SHOW is over!!! But the sheeple keep going, so I guess fans like me don't count anymore.

I don't travel much now. Is minor league baseball run like this everywhere?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

I don't think it's only minor league baseball, people expect more show and spectacle for [everything] these days.

All sorts of sports games, football halftimes, concerts, etc, etc.

It's related to why people such as Miley Cyrus have to perform in an ever more provocative fashion.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
The main objective is to get people into the downtown area.

We have a minor league stadium that was rural but has been built around. City wants it downtown to create business for the downtown area. (Which sucks, which is why no one goes there) There's usually no free parking for one thing.

By putting Coors Field in Lodo in Denver, they rehabilitated the area into a money maker.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Depending on how rural the stadium is people might abuse the residential areas for free parking too, and that can be very annoying for those who live there. Some people so inconsiderate they block driveways, and park illegally on corners.

I do agree that parking fees, and finding parking for events at private lots can be a pain also. Businesses making money lending out their lots after hours for event parking, or those park by the hour places. What bothers me is the public ends up paying for the big stadiums in some way, and still gets nickled and dimed on everything, not even a local discount. If you go to a local swimming pool run by the county here you pay more if you can't prove you live here, with your id, or drivers license you get a discount since your taxes help keep them around.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Parking was the pits at the old Mile Hi stadium. People used to park in the nearby residential areas. The city put out parking patrols and tow trucks to fix the situation.

Big problem every home game. Haven't seen much reporting of problem since the new stadium was built.

Usually the Sky Sox stadium isn't full unless it's a special night like July 4. Should be less full now since the Sox are no longer affiliated with the Rockies. They belong to the Milwaukee Brewers. No more chance of seeing a top Rockie player on rehab.

The city is full of panhandlers. Who wants to go down there to be accosted? Most retail closed, and so did the little ice rink. It's mostly gov and business.

Since the team has changed affiliates, there's no telling how many fans it will attract. City would be dumb to try to move the stadium before checking attendance.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

3 edits

rody_44 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
WTF, we have the iron pigs. Its a great place to go and the parking is free. You can get in for 5 dollars a ticket (actually 10 but you get 5 dollars in food for that) and its a new stadium. I thought all minor league baseball stadiums were like that. This was a new team and a new stadium. Its about 5 years old now but it sells out. »www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t1410 This year we opened up this which is minor league hockey team with a brand new rink. »www.phantomshockey.com/ It costs more but again free parking and its doing well. Maybe your city council should consider building some dam free parking lots. These two things have turned the lehigh Valley into a boom city.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
You should drive down I-75 a bit and visit 5th/3d Field. They focus on the baseball, but with enough variety and fun stuff to keep the kids and family interested as well.
AZinOH
Swanton, OH

AZinOH

said by Secyurityet:

You should drive down I-75 a bit and visit 5th/3d Field. They focus on the baseball, but with enough variety and fun stuff to keep the kids and family interested as well.

Our field is Fifth Third Field, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is more than one. Which one are you talking about?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
It's not only happening at minor-league ballparks, it's also happening at many of the new major league ballparks. I've heard the new Yankee Stadium described as a shopping mall that just happens to have a baseball diamond in the middle!

Baseball just doesn't the draw it use to. They need to do anything they can to get people to attend games these days.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Let them start hitting the long ball again, and baseball should draw better.

The Mets are moving the fences in.

I like the scrappy get a run any way you can style. Most prefer power.

BG5150
join:2008-08-14
New York, NY

BG5150 to AZinOH

to AZinOH
How much can parking at a minor league park be?

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
$5 now. If stadium moves downtown, private lots can dictate.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to AZinOH

MVM

to AZinOH
said by AZinOH:

Our field is Fifth Third Field, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is more than one. Which one are you talking about?

Dayton Dragons. There is also a 5/3rd field in Michigan, if I'm not mistaken.

If I asked my kids if they wanted to go to a Dragon's game, they'd say yes in a heartbeat. They know next to nothing about baseball and will pay little attention to the game too.

They put this stadium downtown as well and the team has set a record for consecutive sellouts for all professional sports. Other than a central location, there's NO reason for it to be located where it is. After 5pm, I think there are (2) well-known restaurants open (Spaghetti Warehouse and Uno Pizzeria). There is no designated parking. You park in various business parking lots, most of which will have a guy sitting at the entrance collecting a fee (typically around $5).

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
Sports at any level is nothing more than a for profit business. If an owner can choose from option A: a folksy small venue with sticky floors, a liquor license, peanut vendors, and a small souvenir stand or option B: a large venue with various retailers, multiple restaurants, varied licensed merchandise outlets, box seats and a neighbourhood of stores, restaurants and attractions to drive foot traffic to your box office, which one are you going to choose?

Many years ago, the junior hockey London Knights played in a dilapidated old barn on the outskirts of town. The team was perennially near the bottom in the standings and players did whatever they could to get out of town as fast as they could. Spectators were few and no other events booked themselves into the facility. They built a new state of the art arena downtown and the organization has never been healthier. The team makes money hand over fist on the ancillary stuff, the building is used 365 days a year, and there is no fear of bankruptcy. The arena has also revitalized downtown and more people live and shop there than ever before.

So, you can pine for the quaint little venue in the sticks, but it isn't good business sense if a team wants to stay alive.
AZinOH
Swanton, OH

AZinOH

said by shaner:

Sports at any level is nothing more than a for profit business. If an owner can choose from option A: a folksy small venue with sticky floors, a liquor license, peanut vendors, and a small souvenir stand or option B: a large venue with various retailers, multiple restaurants, varied licensed merchandise outlets, box seats and a neighbourhood of stores, restaurants and attractions to drive foot traffic to your box office, which one are you going to choose?

Many years ago, the junior hockey London Knights played in a dilapidated old barn on the outskirts of town. The team was perennially near the bottom in the standings and players did whatever they could to get out of town as fast as they could. Spectators were few and no other events booked themselves into the facility. They built a new state of the art arena downtown and the organization has never been healthier. The team makes money hand over fist on the ancillary stuff, the building is used 365 days a year, and there is no fear of bankruptcy. The arena has also revitalized downtown and more people live and shop there than ever before.

So, you can pine for the quaint little venue in the sticks, but it isn't good business sense if a team wants to stay alive.

I never complained about the ancillary stuff and I'm not against making money in shops-restaurants-whatever. They could've had all that in the peaceful suburbs instead of the ugly downtown which, after 12 years, still has almost as many abandoned buildings as occupied ones and requires a trip dodging axle-busting potholes to get to/from down streets that never will be upgraded and a connection to I75 which was great 30 years ago but seriously deficient now. Only a few new services have sprung up near the stadium and while they flourish on gameday, they otherwise barely survive because there are very few other reasons to go downtown. The only thing anywhere near downtown which constantly draws a crowd is the hospital.

But it's the CIRCUS during the game which still bothers me the most. If they really wanted ATTRACTIONS to entertain the kids, they could've incorporated something to satisfy that need into the facility and left the baseball undisturbed. If I wanted to see a CIRCUS, I would pay to see a CIRCUS. If they really feel the need to sell entertainment along with baseball, then they need to do something to learn about SHOWMANSHIP and entertain the entire audience, not just the kids.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
I'm still not too sure how the Sky Sox will fare as they are now members of the Brewers organization.

As a Rockies AAA team, you could see major players on rehab, or up and comers who would get a call to the big team. Milwaukee isn't even in the same division.

Minor league didn't do too badly when there was no major league team around.
We had the Bears and the Zephyrs - they played at the old Mile Hi, and the stadium was never filled. It held 70,000. The Rockies played there and did break attendance records at first.

Rockies seem to be losing attendance. Lousy team.