uniqs
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl

Re: [Channels] January and February Channel Changes 2015?

As long as it's in HD

PirateJim
Premium Member
join:2007-07-11
Toms River, NJ

PirateJim

Premium Member

Might not be cows, but we're still due for "Ride TV", which was announced back in December as being offered in "the first half of 2015" ..

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

Personally, I think it is a very bad practice not keeping your customers informed. By law in New York State, they are required to post this in the " Legal Notices" section of the newspaper. I noticed when a franchise agreement is awarded in New York State to a city, town or village, Fios (or andy other TV provider) must give 30 days notice on all deletions and additions of channels.

While it may be bad practice there is no LAW that states additions need to be posted. Moves or deletions Yes, adds No.

Hob
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

I'd like to see FIOS take off all the premium channels and make them ON DEMAND only. Every night they show the same thing. I mean how many times are they going to show the movie Armageddon? Seriously though, the premium channels of today are not like they were 20-30 years ago. I never see anything new on them.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts

HBO, SHO and MAX have new movie premieres almost every Saturday Night. Starz on Fridays. And of course, HBO and SHO have new tv episodes every Sunday, Maher on Fridays. Starz on Fridays. MAX has new Knick (in season) on Fridays, and Banshee on a day I can't remember.
lee7n
join:2012-11-05

1 edit

lee7n

The practice of Saturday movie premieres no longer seems to exist for the most part, at least not like it used to be. It's not on every Sat anymore.

charliewatts

charliewatts

It does on HBO for sure, when there isn't boxing.

MAX usually has a new movie on Saturdays, at 10est.

SHO shows them at 10 as well, a little less frequently.

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to Acct101

to Acct101
said by Acct101:

Seriously though, the premium channels of today are not like they were 20-30 years ago. I never see anything new on them.

Then you really need to see an optometrist.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to lee7n

to lee7n
Rarely do I watch a movie "premiere" on the premium channels, never know when they'll be on. You're paying for the original content.
lee7n

3 edits

lee7n to Acct101

to Acct101
What about when they show live events? Anyway get rid of west coast feeds and plenty of space is free. Maybe keep the main channel west coast feed to appease those without DVR's but get rid of the rest like HBO comedy west coast. That would be a far better solution. HBO has every one of their channels with a west coast feed. Keeping just Hbo west, Max west and Sho west would free up like 11 channels. Could have H2,Sundance, FS2, Esquire, el Rey, msg plus 2 and pretty much all other requests. I would rather have the rest of the showtime premiums in hd as well.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Rarely do I watch a movie "premiere" on the premium channels, never know when they'll be on. You're paying for the original content.

Here you go:

HBO - Saturday, 8pm or 9pm
Starz - Saturday, 9pm
Cinemax - Friday 10pm or Saturday 9/10pm
Showtime - Friday or Saturday, 9pm

Also Starz usually has early premieres of their movies on demand, usually about 2 weeks before they premiere on the actual network.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870 to lee7n

to lee7n
how about just making the west coast HD feeds (CST/EST only) time zones MPEG4 and making them 5:1 per QAM and same for east coast HD feeds in California but that won't even be needed as California is now probably not going to get anything due to frontier taking over in 2016 along with Texas and Florida.
Strommy
join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA

Strommy to Acct101

to Acct101
said by Acct101:

I'd like to see FIOS take off all the premium channels and make them ON DEMAND only. Every night they show the same thing. I mean how many times are they going to show the movie Armageddon? Seriously though, the premium channels of today are not like they were 20-30 years ago. I never see anything new on them.

I could NOT disagree with you more. This one one of the HUGE reasons I dumped Comcast. And I do not want them to get rid of the West Coast feeds either. Not everyone can watch the new movie at 8-9 PM. To me, messing with Premium channels is a huge no-no (except converting them all the MPEG-4)

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

Rick4769 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
It is still poor customer relations when you add channels and do not let your customer base know. The "law" is usually written in the franchise agreement before granting the franchise. It is just that once the provider gets a signed agreement, they do not adhere to the actual signed agreement. It was so bad in our town, my former cable provider wouldn't even show up for a meeting with the town board.

dcowboy
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to Strommy

to Strommy
said by Strommy:

said by Acct101:

I'd like to see FIOS take off all the premium channels and make them ON DEMAND only.

Not everyone can watch the new movie at 8-9 PM.

Thats why we have dvrs.
Expand your moderator at work
lee7n

1 edit

lee7n to Strommy

to Strommy

Re: [Channels] January and February Channel Changes 2015?

If they get rid of the West Coast feeds there are a bunch of other "premiums" that could be added that we are missing. It isn't like premiums don't repeat stuff and they also have on demand. Watch it another day if you don't have a DVR
or dust off the old VCR or DVD recorder.

"The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few"
Strommy
join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA

Strommy to dcowboy

to dcowboy
said by dcowboy:

said by Strommy:

said by Acct101:

I'd like to see FIOS take off all the premium channels and make them ON DEMAND only.

Not everyone can watch the new movie at 8-9 PM.

Thats why we have dvrs.

Yep, and I have two of them (with extra storage) and it's still not enough. I pay for premium channels I expect Premium channels IN HD, I won't pay for VOD.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to lee7n

to lee7n
I don't have any DVR's. Why should I? The only network I watch that doesn't have VOD is FXX.

dcowboy
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy

said by Greg2600:

I don't have any DVR's. Why should I? The only network I watch that doesn't have VOD is FXX.

I dont watch VOD so not sure but isnt the huge drawback you cant skip commercials.
+ sports are great on a dvr.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Some providers require trick play to be disabled for VOD, so you can't fast forward, etc. It's not the ability to skip commercials, but a way for the providers to force people to watch the entire program. Not all providers do this, but they are gradually moving towards it.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to Greg2600

Premium Member

to Greg2600
I could not live without my DVR! You can watch TV on your time and no commercials. Plus one hour shows are only like 35 minutes with the DVR.
TonyD79
join:2010-04-08
Ellicott City, MD

TonyD79 to Acct101

to Acct101
said by Acct101:

There is actually quite a bit of variety among the channels. The west coast feeds are kind of redundant but VOD does not allow you to fast forward more than 2x and often forgets where you were if you leave a movie. I'd rather record than VOD. (And that doesn't add all the times that my VOD breaks up on fios and requires a fix option be run.)

Also, VOD is a PITA for picking a movie, especially as Fios shortens titles.

Sometimes you just want to watch something different and stumble on it. VOD makes YOU choose.

Plus, who is maintaining total VOD?

What I want is HBO to go OAR and not mess with PQ while they are zooming.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

I was hoping by now that they would have added TCM-HD and EL REY-HD which I personally like to see. Others that need to be added in HD are H2, FS2, HLN, Encore Suite, Sundance, UP, Inspiration for starters.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I am hoping for new HD additions this year. I am sure they can do it.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to Rick4769

to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

I was hoping by now that they would have added TCM-HD and EL REY-HD which I personally like to see. Others that need to be added in HD are H2, FS2, HLN, Encore Suite, Sundance, UP, Inspiration for starters.

If UP and Inspiration go HD before some of the bigger and better networks for which people are clamoring, I'm going to enjoy the threads filled with snark here very much.

charliewatts

charliewatts to Rick4769

to Rick4769
Almost time to start a "March/April 2015 New Additions' thread.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by charliewatts:

Almost time to start a "March/April 2015 New Additions' thread.

Please don't start another wish list thread unless something is really added

charliewatts

charliewatts

I'm not.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101
said by Acct101:

??? It was the same way twenty or thirty years ago too. The only difference is that there weren't as many channels. But they still showed the same movies over and over back then too.