spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: [Channels] January and February Channel Changes 2015?

Getting rid of west coast feeds of premium channels would free up a dozen or so HD slots. I can see keeping two feeds for the the main HBO and Showtime channels, but the many extra channels could certainly get along with one feed.
shark2k
join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

shark2k

said by billhere:

Getting rid of west coast feeds of premium channels would free up a dozen or so HD slots. I can see keeping two feeds for the the main HBO and Showtime channels, but the many extra channels could certainly get along with one feed.

As was already said:
said by matcarl:

HBO & Cinemax supply all their channels in a bundle and Verizon charges quite a bit for them. I don't think the people who pay for HBO separately would like to see half the channels go away and still have to pay the same amount.

-Shark2k

dianac
Premium Member
join:2014-06-13
Demarest, NJ

dianac to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Simple solution: MPEG-4

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Not so simple for them since they have so many older boxes in the field.

dianac
Premium Member
Demarest, NJ

dianac

Premium Member

It is time to retire the 6XXX boxes anyway.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600

said by dianac:

It is time to retire the 6XXX boxes anyway.

The Verizon financial accountants do not agree.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

And risk getting slapped with charges of racism?

»www.thewrap.com/att-dire ··· lawsuit/

It's more racist to carry a channel solely because it's minority owned. Garbage is garbage, and it doesn't matter what color the people involved are.

dianac
Premium Member
Demarest, NJ

dianac to Greg2600

Premium Member

to Greg2600
No doubt. They could leave SD in MPEG-2 and just convert the HD channels. That would cut down the number of boxes that need replacing. I wonder how many HD boxes there are that can't do MPEG-4?

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Lots and lots.....
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

So when are we going to see HLN HD ? Would also like to see CNN INT HD.
TonyD79
join:2010-04-08
Ellicott City, MD

TonyD79 to dianac

to dianac
If they at least do premiums in MPEG-4, it opens bandwidth and impacts even fewer. How many HD premium customers have MPEG-2 only boxes.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I wouldn't hold your breath for more MPEG-4.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to TonyD79

Premium Member

to TonyD79
said by TonyD79:

If they at least do premiums in MPEG-4, it opens bandwidth and impacts even fewer. How many HD premium customers have MPEG-2 only boxes.

There are some areas like NY & NJ that get several premiums as part of their Extreme packages. If they made all those channels MPEG-4, then many of them would realize they aren't receiving the channels, because yes, many people with the Extreme package still have older boxes.
dfwguy

dfwguy

You say that like it's a bad thing. NYC is the only market Verizon gives half a crap about anyway. Getting rid of all the 6000 boxes and replacing them with better, faster (and in the case of DVRs, with more storage) 7000 boxes is something that can easily be marketed as a positive.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

It's not gonna happen.

Comcast is still giving out STB's you could get in 1999.

It's the way of the industry.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Here's the thing- anyone who has a 6000 can call up and get a 7000 for free. The problem is all of the older people of the world who don't know/care

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to dfwguy

to dfwguy
said by dfwguy:

NYC is the only market Verizon gives half a crap about anyway.

Really ? Cool.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

HBO HD should be moved to 900 next to all the other HBOs, instead right now it's 899 because of the stupid On Demand Channel.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Branch:

HBO HD should be moved to 900 next to all the other HBOs, instead right now it's 899 because of the stupid On Demand Channel.

Does it really matter? It's just a channel number. I use the guide to see what to record. There are very few channels I record from that I know what the actual channel number is.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

It's not gonna happen.

Comcast is still giving out STB's you could get in 1999.

It's the way of the industry.

The only way VZ would go cold turkey is if the 6000 series STB were to be hacked or something crazy like that, where they are given no choice. That being said, from an IT perspective, I have to imagine it's a huge headache to have to manage an IMG for that ancient stuff, while the new stuff is much more advanced.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by Greg2600:

That being said, from an IT perspective, I have to imagine it's a huge headache to have to manage an IMG for that ancient stuff, while the new stuff is much more advanced.

Is the new stuff more advanced? Think Quantum. Right now the ancient boxes are handling the IMG a lot better than the people on the new Quantum boxes.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by matcarl:

said by Greg2600:

That being said, from an IT perspective, I have to imagine it's a huge headache to have to manage an IMG for that ancient stuff, while the new stuff is much more advanced.

Is the new stuff more advanced? Think Quantum. Right now the ancient boxes are handling the IMG a lot better than the people on the new Quantum boxes.

New software always comes with new bugs. Don't forget when the "ancient" boxes started out. They were buggy too, but eventually the software got better. Quantum will catch up.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by Branch:

Does it really matter? It's just a channel number. I use the guide to see what to record. There are very few channels I record from that I know what the actual channel number is.

Do having similar channels next to each really matter? No, but it's more convienent and easier to find that way.
dfwguy

dfwguy to dcowboy

to dcowboy
said by dcowboy:

said by dfwguy:

NYC is the only market Verizon gives half a crap about anyway.

Really ? Cool.

Just means you're a couple years behind the rest of us in getting dumped on Frontier.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to Rick4769

to Rick4769
In NYC, Channel 3 WJLP, FiOS 3/503, the ME-TV affiliate with the rocky start, has just added a digital subchannel carrying the Justice Network on 3-11. Any word on Verizon FiOS carriage?
lee7n
join:2012-11-05

lee7n

Verizon generally does not disclose upcoming channel adds.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

Lately Verizon hasn't been disclosing new channel adds even after they've occurred.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

Rick4769

said by Steely:

Lately Verizon hasn't been disclosing new channel adds even after they've occurred.

Personally, I think it is a very bad practice not keeping your customers informed. By law in New York State, they are required to post this in the " Legal Notices" section of the newspaper. I noticed when a franchise agreement is awarded in New York State to a city, town or village, Fios (or andy other TV provider) must give 30 days notice on all deletions and additions of channels.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

said by Rick4769:

said by Steely:

Personally, I think it is a very bad practice not keeping your customers informed. By law in New York State, they are required to post this in the " Legal Notices" section of the newspaper.

I can't speak to NY state law, but generally those types of requirements don't apply to additions. I can (generally) add channels until the cows come home without telling you about them without issue. But when I make a change to an existing line-up (e.g. move a channel to a different channel number, or delete a channel outright), then I have a legal obligation to let you know about it.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

matcarl

Premium Member

said by JPL:

I can (generally) add channels until the cows come home without telling you about them without issue.

That's the next channel add!!!