spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn to Tursiops_G

to Tursiops_G

Re: Will VHS cassettes recordrd in Japan playback in US?

said by Tursiops_G:

You can buy Region-Free players right here in the US...

Yes, I know, but the person who is sending me the VHS tapes and the DVDs is sending me the player from Japan, I'm not importing it.

Sorry if I gave you that impression.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 recommendation

19579823 (banned) to Timmn

to Timmn

said by ke4pym :
Gotta disagree with you on the audio part. HiFi VHS is about the best analog audio you can ask for.
Indeed my friend...... ANALOG IS BEAUTIFUL

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982

You would be correct sir!
An analog signal on an analog display.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to 19579823

to 19579823

Re: ‏

How can you possible like movies on VHS when Hollywood does produce movies on VHS anymore. Heck you can't buy a VCR player or blank VHS tapes anymore.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to 19579823

to 19579823
You've gone completely mad! There is no such thing as Analog video & audio anymore. Everything is completely digital now. Hell over the air NTSC got replace with ATSC by the United States Government back in 2009. All TV's made are designed for Digital video and Digital audio only now. VHS got replaced with DVD and now DVD is slowly getting replaced with Blu-ray.
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

1 recommendation

ramsaso to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

blank VHS tapes

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to contradict your claim that you can't buy blank tapes anymore. My local CVS and Walgreens store still sell a 4-pack for $10. (Maxell produced in Korea, South)
said by floydb1982:

Hollywood doesn't produce movies on VHS

Simple to do at home.
1. Plug a DVD player into the VCR
2. Plop in a disc (filled with any content of your choice) into the player
3. Adjust speed of VCR record mode (SP,LP, SLP etc.)
4. Press play on DVD (bypassing > root menu> movie) and record button on VCR simultaniously.

Presto.
said by floydb1982:

you can't buy a VCR player

But there are VCR/DVD combo sets (also a VCR/Bluray combo if my memory serves right) for sale on Amazon.

It's alive but only to a niche market.

Are you advocating for an all-digital world @floydb1982 (mods: remove if inappropriate)
EDIT: Huh, I'm a huge supporter of VHS, DVD, SDTV and HDTV. Hell, I'm not going to throw away my still-working CRT just for high resolution. (sigh, the people in this world today...)
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

I'm a huge supporter for DVD, Blu-ray, and even HDTV only.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

2 edits

19579823 (banned) to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Why are you being critical of what I dearly love and have always loved??

Im not cutting you down for liking what you like!

said by ramsaso :
Hell, I'm not going to throw away my still-working CRT just for high resolution.
Good for you......CRTs are the BEST and always have been!!

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

I like the 2nd image better,much more natural looking.....

NO I AM NOT JUST SAYING THIS,I mean it!!!

You realize that both pictures are digital? Both are screen shots that have been digitized and transmitted through the Internet. The grainy one that you think looks better because it's analog is also digital. Unless you have an analog internet...

What this shows is that even though both pictures are now digital (even though the second one originated as analog), the second one more accurately represents what you are familiar with in regards to analog. In other words, the digital still shots are so good at representing the source, even the analog picture can be captured digitally and remain true to its form.

What you love about analog is not quality. Digital can reproduce analog quality just fine... What you love about analog is that it FEELS closer to you. You have a sense of connection that you don't feel when listening to a digital source. It has nothing to do with quality. The digital source is the better quality. But you don't get the same sense of connection with ones and zeros on a digital source that you get with analog which emotionally connects you to the original even if it's poorer quality. It's purely an emotional attraction and I get it. I love some of my LPs. When I listen to them I feel that I'm looking through a window to a recording studio. It's purely emotional though. The digital version is usually true to the source in fidelity while the analog version is colored with sounds that were never there. No one can argue that you don't feel an emotional connection to analog sources. Many people do. It's nostalgic. But analog misses so much detail in the original. It's like you got used to missing something...
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to 19579823

to 19579823
Old style analogs CRT displays are no comparison when it comes to High Def displays. Analog displays are limited to NTSC 480i while Digital displays can go to 1080p and beyond. LCD displays are the best and have always been.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

4 edits

to Timmn
They are if you dont like/want that crap and just want STANDARD TV!!!!!! (This guy is starting to pi$$ me off) I do not care for HD or anything else..... I love standard Def like i always have,nothing wrong with that
said by Sly :
You realize that both pictures are digital?
Yes but the 2nd one looks more natural due it being sent in analog (Even though it isnt true analog on that movie (You can kinda tell by looking at it))

Analogue is just beautiful and natural
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

Old style analogs CRT displays are no comparison when it comes to High Def displays. Analog displays are limited to NTSC 480i while Digital displays can go to 1080p and beyond. LCD displays are the best and have always been.

I think you need to go back and do some homework. This claim is false (especially if you factor in old CRT based computer monitors).

CRTs can scale in resolution as high as you want them too. The RPTV I bought in 2002 was a Pioneer Elite CRT based set. It was able to do 1080i with no problem. However, they were only 6 or 7" tubes so they couldn't support 1080p. 9" tubes had no problem displaying 1080p and beyond. Some of the front projectors would scale resolutions even higher.

And while that set only had an NTSC tuner, later sets came with ATSC tuners built in as well.

Analog is certainly a capable enough system to produce the same images you get today. However, the space consumption would be astronomical.
ke4pym

ke4pym to ramsaso

Premium Member

to ramsaso
said by ramsaso:

Simple to do at home.
1. Plug a DVD player into the VCR
2. Plop in a disc (filled with any content of your choice) into the player
3. Adjust speed of VCR record mode (SP,LP, SLP etc.)
4. Press play on DVD (bypassing > root menu> movie) and record button on VCR simultaniously.

Erm, not quite. Macrovision is going to give you a bad day if you try to do this w/o some sort of Macrovision buster or have the ability to strip the sync and replace it with clean sync.

biotech
@tmodns.net

biotech

Anon

I think he meant pirated content.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

to Timmn
I think Floyd is just in a bad mood and wants to bust balls on this to make himself feel better....

Here is a site full of people WHO LOVE CRT sets,etc... »www.videokarma.org

Go check that site out Floyd
Timmn
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn

said by 19579823:

Here is a site full of people WHO LOVE CRT sets,etc... »www.videokarma.org

They have a link to a good slideshow on how to rebuild a filter capacitor, I'm including it here:

»www.picturetrail.com/sfx ··· 22501148
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Yes TIMMY,

An excellent site indeed..... AK and VK are 2 of my favourite sites!!

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
That's true, but not about purchasing VHS players or BLANK tapes.
Although not as common and not produced in as many numbers, you can still buy blank VHS tapes and players. It just depends on the store you're going to. I still see VHS/DVD combo players for sale at Best Buy, Future Shop, Wallmart and other major outlets. Blank VHS tapes are still as easy to find as blank audio cassette tapes. Perhaps it's just where you live?
said by floydb1982:

How can you possible like movies on VHS when Hollywood does produce movies on VHS anymore. Heck you can't buy a VCR player or blank VHS tapes anymore.

Timmn
Tinley Park, IL

2 recommendations

Timmn

The only problem with those VHS/DVD combo players is that they don't work well, at least in my setup. My Go Video VHS VCR worked flawlessly, until it decided to go to that great VCR Heaven in the sky. The Philips combo player I bought to replace it has trouble playing back some tapes. I think those combo players are all made by the same company, no matter what brand name is put on them. I bought a Panasonic combo player, and other than some minor changes the front panel is about the same as the Philips, it also has the same problem with tape playback.

A friend of mine gave me an old RCA VCR and it works just fine.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen

Also, VCR/DVD combos won't let you record a DVD on tape.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Most VCR/DVD combos don't allow that.
Dustyn

Dustyn to Timmn

Premium Member

to Timmn
I have a Toshiba VHS/DVD combo player and haven't had any issues playing back VHS tapes. Played back Home Alone when it was released way back in the 90s and the AUTO tracking was still able to lock and show a good picture with HI-FI sound without any clipping or static (changing from mono to HI-FI).
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

1 edit

1 recommendation

b10010011 to floydb1982

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

LOL I would put my old 36 inch Sony XBR CRT up against any LCD at 720P or 1080i. The CRT picture is better, blacker blacks, truer colors, and no motion artifacts.

I ended up replacing the CRT with a 60 inch plasma for the same reason.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Timmn

to Timmn

A Replacement for Blu-ray Is Coming: Does Anyone Want It?

Sony and Panasonic are jointly developing a new optical disc that holds more data; would debut by the end of 2015

Sony already is promoting Ultra HD movies in the 4K format that require more than 100GB of space on a disc.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 recommendation

Sly

Premium Member

Too bad the Holographic Versatile Disc never appeared. 10 year old technology and several terabytes of storage on an optical disc. Makes Blu-ray look like floppy discs...
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Timmn

to Timmn
i found a VHS tape with white hairs for ya to see
Timmn
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn

said by 91862239:

i found a VHS tape with white hairs for ya to see

I have over 200 VHS tapes, some bought when VHS first came out, and none of them are doing that.

Maybe if I had stored the tapes in my unheated garage, or humid basement, maybe then that might have happened.
Timmn

Timmn to Dustyn

to Dustyn

Re: ‏

said by Dustyn:

I have a Toshiba VHS/DVD combo player and haven't had any issues playing back VHS tapes.

Both the Philips and the Panasonic had the same problem, and people were trying to blame it on my setup, but what I cold never figure out is why the Go Video and the RCA both worked.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

I have a GO VIDEO unit.. Works Quite well

I had one of those DVD/VCR combos once..... WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!!!! (VHS playback was horrible (Loud noise during playback)) -- I got rid of it as I dont like DVDs anyway.......
said by b10010011 :
LOL I would put my old 36 inch Sony XBR CRT up against any LCD at 720P or 1080i. The CRT picture is better, blacker blacks, truer colors, and no motion artifacts.
Indeed... CRTs are georgeous.... Im sorry you had problems with yours buddy..
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to b10010011

to b10010011
Nobody makes Plasma displays anymore. Switch over to LED LCD display. Your taking a chance that you would get a solid image burned into the screen. If that does happen your screwed because you can't get rid of a burned image off a Plasma screen. With an LED LCD no matter how long that solid image has been on the screen it won't get burned in at all. Besides LED LCD is the future.