uniqs
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Adobe Flash problems with Speedtest.Net

Speedtest.Net is a widely-used site for (duh) internet connection speed testing.

After the most recent Flash upgrades, going to Speedtest.Net yields this message:

Speedtest.net requires Flash You must have Adobe Flash installed and JavaScript enabled to use Speedtest.net. Download Adobe Flash.

This occurs with 3 browsers even though Flash IS ALREADY INSTALLED.

1) PaleMoon with Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.235 plugin.
2) Internet Explorer with Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.235 ActiveX.
3) Google Chrome (latest) which has its own built-in Flash.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Considering this and past problems, it almost seems like Speedtest.Net is asleep on the job.

Don't they [notice] people having problems with their site?

If somebody stole Nebraska, wouldn't it be noticed??

-----

A few weeks ago, the Speedtest owner (Ookla) was bought by "j2" subsidiary ZiffDavis.

"j2" runs fax services that have very harsh Terms of Service, such as extremely high fees to port out a fax number. Their company reputation is controversial.

There are many speed-checking sites besides the [j2-ZiffDavis-Ookla] Speedtest but I am just curious what has happened in this case.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Works fine for me with Chrome and FF. Hardly ever use IE. When I ran the test using IE said I needed to install Java plugin.

Personality I hate Flash. Seems to be on an never ending upgrade cycle. I'm using Flash 16.0.0.235 on a 64bit Win7 installed Dec 12th.

/tom

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Works fine here on FF (34.0) and Flash version (16.0.0.235).
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Make sure that you have scripting enabled on the site. I see the same error message unless I disable NoScript on that page. (It really should complain about scripting being turned off as that would be a much more useful message).
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Works OK on WIN 7-64 with IE 11 & latest Flash

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat to PX Eliezer1

MVM

to PX Eliezer1

Works fine here on FF (34.0) and Flash version (16.0.0.235).

+1
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
It works fine here except a bit odd that it showed me a default location in Eastern Europe (usually shows Hawaii) and then after it did the test it said my provider was "unknown". That's weird as it knows who my provider is or at least it always did know until now.

Oh, my! It's TOTALLY WACKED. It tested an IP address that it claims is mine that begins with "45xxxxxxx". The address bears zero resemblence to mine which begins with 70 and hasn't changed in a couple of years. Plus, I have never heard of Phyber Communications which it says is my ISP. Lastly, it shows my location as being Europe! This test site is located at University of Hawaii at Manoa on Oahu and I'm on the Big Island yet it claims the distance between me and the server is over 2500 miles!

Why is this site pissed about the image? I haven't had a warning about the image before. Every choice produces the same warning from this site.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

Hmm...the above wacko test was done on Fx 31.3 ESR on Windows 8 Pro.

I just did the same test (using the same server on Oahu) on Pale Moon 25.0.2 on Win 10 Preview and it was normal. Plus, I got no warning about the image from this site.

dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
I've stopped using speedtest.net. It's just too easy to type speedtest.com which is a virus laden look alike site. Anti-virus checkers catch it, but still...

Back to topic, it works fine for me here. I use Chrome. In fact for a long time, Chrome would report speeds around twice as fast as what were reported in IE. Another reason I gave up on any Flash related speed test. However, that problem seems to have been fixed recently.

You can try speedof.me which is an html5 speedtest
Lindsey
join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
mine doesnt do that..all mine does is freeze up for 5 sec every time a video trys to run

MoebiusTrip
@74.89.68.x

MoebiusTrip

Anon

In my case (FF or any browser) turning off AdBlock enables speedtest.net.
Turning AdBlock back on causes the test to vanish.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It turned out my problem was because I had forgotten I turned Secret Agent extension on Fx 31.3 ESR back on. It was not only obscuring the user agent string but also obscuring/faking my IP address thus speedtest.net thought I was in Europe. Once I told Secret Agent to whitelist the site the test ran correctly.
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1

No problems here w/FF 34.0

enon
@108.18.179.x

enon to HarryH3

Anon

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

Make sure that you have scripting enabled on the site. I see the same error message unless I disable NoScript on that page. (It really should complain about scripting being turned off as that would be a much more useful message).

How would you propose the site distinguish between scripting being turned off and plugins called via script not being installed? It's not possible.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

If you run Adblock, like I do, just Allow speedtest.net & ookla.com. Simple.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

I run adblock and it has never effected Speedtest.net
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
If the version is hard coded, then using a new version will give that error. I've seen it before. Yes, it shows incompetence on their end - but that's just because they're incompetent.

I run *nix here, so use a very old wrapper to run an old Linux version of flash. I just checked Speedtest, and it still works just fine - even with Adblock and Ghostery turned on.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Jack in VA

Premium Member

to Jack in VA
Ah, yes. I typed Adblock but was thinking NoScript.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
No issues here on Chrome (39.0.2171.95 m (64-bit)), Firefox (34.0.5) Flash (16.0.0.235) once I have allowed the site via ScriptSafe/NoScript. I make no exceptions to ad block in either browser.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
No problem here. (IE11)
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Thanks indeed to all for their replies.

It is a strange thing, I have this now on 2 different machines running different Windows OS, various browsers, 2 different firewalls, 2 different routers. Not using script blocker or ad blocker.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's being blocked by my ISP.

-----

At this point, I just use Speakeasy speed test, and AT&T Speedtest, instead.
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

You did say "After the most recent Flash upgrades" so, are you sure that isn't what caused it? Like I said earlier, it is not uncommon for a site to specify the flash version, and if you have the latest one, they may not recognize it as such until they update their script.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to enon

Premium Member

to enon
said by enon :

said by HarryH3:

How would you propose the site distinguish between scripting being turned off and plugins called via script not being installed? It's not possible.

Other sites have no problem letting me know that scripting is turned off. As an example, try visiting »www.tigerdirect.com with scripting turned off. You'll see "We're Sorry, But The Page You Requested Requires Javascript Enabled." at the top of the page.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Ole Juul

Premium Member

to Ole Juul
said by Ole Juul:

You did say "After the most recent Flash upgrades" so, are you sure that isn't what caused it? Like I said earlier, it is not uncommon for a site to specify the flash version, and if you have the latest one, they may not recognize it as such until they update their script.

Yes, that's when it seemed to start.

But now I realize that it's also affecting my machine at work which does not have the newest Flash, although it does have the same ISP.

I mentioned that I can successfully use AT&T Speed Test and the weird thing is, that test is just a rebranded Ookla Speedtest.
said by HarryH3:

Other sites have no problem letting me know that scripting is turned off. As an example, try visiting »www.tigerdirect.com with scripting turned off. You'll see "We're Sorry, But The Page You Requested Requires Javascript Enabled." at the top of the page.

That site works fine for me, but that's a good test procedure to know about. Thanks!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
Why do I get a 403 Access Denied error when I try to use search at Tigerdirect?

I don't use NoScript and the main page there loaded with no problems on Fx 31.3 ESR.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I tried again to search at TigerDirect and made sure I allowed a cookie when the main page loaded and I was asked by Fx about a cookie.

I got a 403 Access Denied error again when I tried to do a search. So, I clicked the back button to go back to the Main page. Hmpf. I got an even WORSE 403 error telling me I am denied all access to the site! I closed the tab and tried to go there on a fresh tab. I got ACCESS DENIED. So, I can't even VISIT the main page of TigerDirect (at least not on Fx).

I am using Secret Agent which changes the user agent string regularly and cloaks my IP address. I don't know if that is what TigerDirect is upset about or not.
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

2 edits

Ole Juul to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Why do I get a 403 Access Denied error when I try to use search at Tigerdirect? . . . I am using Secret Agent which changes the user agent string regularly and cloaks my IP address. I don't know if that is what TigerDirect is upset about or not.

I don't either. I also use browser and OS spoofing. It's currently set to look like a Mac running another browser version - which is hilarious because I haven't touched proprietary software in several decades. In any case, I can access Tigerdirect.com perfectly, despite also having Ghostery and Adblock turned on. I guess they just don't like you.

Edit: I did some more testing:
Moving to another machine, I used a very hardened version of Iceweasel. No cookies, no java, etc, etc. Also through a VPN server in Europe. Tiger direct still worked! So I went a step further and tried using Tor, using the Torbrowser, and also from a "foreign" country. That did it. Finally I was able to insult them enough to get stopped at the door.

Edit II
While I'm on this, I feel like harping on it - though this has no direct relationship to Mele20's problem. Tigetdirect is one of those kinds of companies who espouse the philosophy that if they let their customers view their products by letting them see what they have for sale, then those very customers are more likely to buy something. Newegg is another one which passes that test, as I found out with previous testing yesterday when I encountered Sears.ca. Sears makes demands of their customers before they will let you see what they are selling. One also has to make special settings in one's browser in order to view all the pages of their catalogue. There are some very strange and, dare I say perverted, minds in some corporate sales departments. My response (whenever possible) is to only deal with the companies who don't play games with me and show good faith in their web coding. Also, I can't help but think that the subject of this thread could also possibly be related to this little mini rant.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't have Secret Agent on Pale Moon and I had no problems at TigerDirect just now. I have Ghostery, Disconnect and use the Proxomitron with Sidki's configs 12/2011 on both browsers. So, seeing it must be Secret Agent that was causing the problem earlier, I went there again on Fx and Secret Agent faked the browser as Gecko based "Songbird" and that produced a large horizontal scroll bar but I got to TigerDirect ok. So, I tried a search and SA spoofed the user agent as Gecko based Linux browser (forgot the specific name as I have never heard of it before) and search produced a page without proper style sheet. So, all that earlier with the 403 errors must have been SA. I wish it would stay with the same fake UA while on a particular site instead of changing with every page visited on the site. Fx has extensions to fake UA that work better but I don't know of any that also mask the IP address like SA does.
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

I use Random Agent Spoofer 0.9.3.1. It will do random, but I use it in static mode.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Ole Juul

to Ole Juul
said by Ole Juul:

Sears makes demands of their customers before they will let you see what they are selling.

Believe it or not they are actually much better these days, sears.com works properly with only allowing *.sears.com, *.shld.net (both are sears holding sites, in the US at least).

I remember visiting them in the late 90's and my webshield software would give malware and driveby download warnings... at least these days they only sell their (potential) customers to the trackers.