spc
Search similar:

uniqs

FredP
@184.88.60.x

FredP

Anon

CFL Price Increase

Don't forget that starting the first of next year we get to pay for the DTA's that we have to have to get programming. So if you have one on a tv that isn't used enough to justify the cost, turn it it.

Yet another below the line price increase from Brighthouse.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by FredP :

Yet another below the line price increase from Brighthouse.

Um hello... that is not a below the line increase. That is an equipment charge just like any other box, modem, cable card, whatever... You knew they were only free for a period of time and that time has come.

FredP
@184.88.60.x

FredP

Anon

Um...Hi!

This is a dollar amount increase that used to be included in our service cost. It is no longer included. Maybe that is not the pure and simple definition of a 'below the line price increase' but it is still a price increase. How would you classify this particular price increase?

With the cable modems your common answer is that it is not a mandatory charge and is entirely avoidable. To have cable access on a TV that used to be included in our monthly fees we must now pay this new charge. How can we avoid it?

This post was nothing more than a reminder to everyone that the new required equipment will demand payment from Brighthouse. Mine was on a TV that I seldom use, so I turned the thing in.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by FredP :

This is a dollar amount increase that used to be included in our service cost. It is no longer included. Maybe that is not the pure and simple definition of a 'below the line price increase' but it is still a price increase. How would you classify this particular price increase?

No it wasn't included because they were not used then. Going all digital was a technology decision, one that benefits you in many ways not just video. It was very expensive and like any other business operating and equipment costs it does get passed down to consumers just like ANY other business. In this case it just like any other piece of equipment and we have been very clear since day one.

You were told up front of the free period that it would end on Jan 1 2015 and like all other equipment there is an associated charge that starts in Jan. If you are going to use the terminology at least understand what it means and use it in the proper context...this is not the proper context.
said by FredP :

This post was nothing more than a reminder to everyone that the new required equipment will demand payment from Brighthouse. Mine was on a TV that I seldom use, so I turned the thing in.

An unnecessary reminder because you were notified, everyone has been in your market.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to FredP

Premium Member

to FredP
While Gary as already placed his order for the new gold plated safari hats.....

Berniefl37
@67.8.32.x

Berniefl37 to FredP

Anon

to FredP
Thanks for the reminder Fred ,, Brighthouse will charge you for everything even the cables coming underground to your house,, hahah

FredP
@184.88.60.x

FredP to neonhomer

Anon

to neonhomer
We were absolutely told that this upfront, you are correct. I am just trying to help make sure no one forgot and is surprised when their next bill shows up. Plain and simple.

The cable modem fee was considered a below the line fee. You routinely came on here and told us how it was avoidable if we were willing to front the cost. You haven't answered how this is different then that fee or how it is avoidable.
facke020
join:2011-08-23
Lake Mary, FL

facke020 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
It would be nice if they actually worked too. I've replaced 2 this week and I'll be back on Monday to replace them again. They only work if the remote is 2 inches from the device.... Junk

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to FredP

to FredP
I have to agree and disagree with Gary here. It's below-the-line because it's not part of the advertised price of service. Just like the "sports fee" and the "broadcast channel fee" that aren't disclosed until you actually get a bill. That's the definition of a below-the-line fee.

On the other hand, it likely was disclosed ahead of time (they would be open to a class action lawsuit if not) so it's not like it's a surprise, nor is it particularly sneaky since the equipment does cost money. It'd just be better if cable companies would just roll this price into the actual price of service instead of separate nickle and diming after your package so that they can be "cheaper" than satellite or telco without actually being cheaper than satellite or telco.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
The charge was originally going to be $1 a month, and a year ago was changed to $2 a month. They forgot to do it this year.

Doesn't bother me, I returned mine and got a Ceton Echo to use the tuner in my HTPC for the other tv.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Berniefl37

Premium Member

to Berniefl37
said by Berniefl37 :

Thanks for the reminder Fred ,, Brighthouse will charge you for everything even the cables coming underground to your house,, hahah

No we don't and you know better than that Berniefl37.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to FredP

Premium Member

to FredP
said by FredP :

We were absolutely told that this upfront, you are correct. I am just trying to help make sure no one forgot and is surprised when their next bill shows up. Plain and simple.

There should be no surprises on this one so long as everyone opens and reads their bills and as you noted we have been very upfront about this since day one.
said by FredP :

The cable modem fee was considered a below the line fee. You routinely came on here and told us how it was avoidable if we were willing to front the cost. You haven't answered how this is different then that fee or how it is avoidable.

Yes I have...
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to facke020

Premium Member

to facke020
said by facke020:

It would be nice if they actually worked too. I've replaced 2 this week and I'll be back on Monday to replace them again. They only work if the remote is 2 inches from the device.... Junk

Just a guess here but turn OFF the ambient light sensor/control in your television and this will stop. Its actually interference from this sensor from your television and is well documented here in the forums.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by facke020:

Just a guess here but turn OFF the ambient light sensor/control in your television and this will stop. Its actually interference from this sensor from your television and is well documented here in the forums.

I was one of the first to experience this problem in my area and after much troubleshooting with the help of BHN we found out this was the problem. It has been working great since that sensor was turned off.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mixdup

Premium Member

to mixdup
said by mixdup:

It'd just be better if cable companies would just roll this price into the actual price of service instead of separate nickle and diming after your package so that they can be "cheaper" than satellite or telco without actually being cheaper than satellite or telco.

We used to do this but you guys absoulutely refuse to read the competitors FINE print in their ads which which is where they hide their fees, equipment charges and gotchas so you were consistently complaining we were non-competitive when in fact had you read the competitors fine print with all the fees and equipment we indeed were competitive after all.

You still don't read their fine print because I see people here posting "Oh yea well beat this price" nonsense all the time and had they read that micrscopic fine print on the competitor ad they would have known it wasn't a deal worthy of posting. To a major degree your own consumer behaviors have caused this whether you like it or not.

So now everything is broken out so you can see easy peasy without without having to actually read anything. The difference between us and them....they still do the fine print nonsense, we don't and we simply say "plus fees and equipment" right up front but no fine print.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to StephenRC

Premium Member

to StephenRC
said by StephenRC:

Doesn't bother me, I returned mine and got a Ceton Echo to use the tuner in my HTPC for the other tv.

See you do have options after all

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by mixdup:

It'd just be better if cable companies would just roll this price into the actual price of service instead of separate nickle and diming after your package so that they can be "cheaper" than satellite or telco without actually being cheaper than satellite or telco.

We used to do this but you guys absoulutely refuse to read the competitors FINE print in their ads which which is where they hide their fees, equipment charges and gotchas so you were consistently complaining we were non-competitive when in fact had you read the competitors fine print with all the fees and equipment we indeed were competitive after all.

You still don't read their fine print because I see people here posting "Oh yea well beat this price" nonsense all the time and had they read that micrscopic fine print on the competitor ad they would have known it wasn't a deal worthy of posting. To a major degree your own consumer behaviors have caused this whether you like it or not.

So now everything is broken out so you can see easy peasy without without having to actually read anything. The difference between us and them....they still do the fine print nonsense, we don't and we simply say "plus fees and equipment" right up front but no fine print.

I don't agree with this at all. I understand competitors do this but it makes Brighthouse look far better when their pricing is clear cut and dry. Sure, the customer may go to another company initially but when they get surprised with their first bill and all the extra charges they realize Brighthouse was the better option and they move back.

I don't consider the digital adapters a below the line charge as you aren't required to have them and everyone needs a different amount. In my opinion, a below the line charge is something that's unavoidable and not in the initial pricing (i.e. RSN fee, Broadcast TV fee, digital guide fee)
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FredP

Premium Member

to FredP
said by gigahurtz:

I don't agree with this at all. I understand competitors do this but it makes Brighthouse look far better when their pricing is clear cut and dry. Sure, the customer may go to another company initially but when they get surprised with their first bill and all the extra charges they realize Brighthouse was the better option and they move back.

But in may cases they can't move back GH. They failed to read all of the fine print which includes the "two year agreement required). I understand where you are coming from but I have seen this personally so many times it would make your head spin. At least you know up front with us... there is no fine print, it's all posted at the top right next to the big price and how it breaks down. The other guys still use the fine print and post the outrageously false big RED number with the 50 lines of fine print wayyyyyy at the bottom of the ad that nobody reads. Humans are sadly very predictable with this stuff...does that mean everyone...nope....but most of ya fall prey to it all the time.
Wally173
join:2013-05-08
Lithia, FL

Wally173

In my opinion paying a couple bucks for the DTAs is not a huge deal, maybe I am part of a small group of people who think that, I don't know.

You have to realize that I am assuming Bright House bought thousands and thousands of these DTAs from Cisco, I am pretty sure they don't get them for free.

You then have to realize:

1) Some will break by themselves
2) Lightning will take out some
3) Someone will snap the coax connecter or snap an HDMI connecter and ruin the port in the back of them.
4) Various other ways a customer can break them

I do not expect Bright House to give these out for free, there is no possible way they could without losing an insane amount of money. If they gave them out for free, then they would have to increase prices elsewhere to overcome the loss of money from the DTAs. A business has to have money coming in to continue being in business.

Just my opinion...

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

1 recommendation

mixdup to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by mixdup:

That would be all fine and good IF YOU POSTED THE PRICES ON YOUR WEBSITE. "Additional fees apply" in tiny little text at the bottom of the website and without any way to find out what those fees are until after your first bill is not transparency. You guys have the least transparent pricing out of any TV provider I've ever had or investigated. Charter has a full price list in PDF. AT&T lists every price for every package, service, and add-on. Same with DirecTV and Dish. As a matter of fact with DirecTV and Dish, you can even add and remove programming online. With BHN you can't even get a reliable listing of what channels are in what packages online.

Now we've been through a lot of arguments, and some of them are just a matter of opinion and I will grant you that (IE: should Netflix have to pay you for transit) but this one is pretty cut and dry. You guys are extremely opaque with your pricing, moreso than anyone I've ever dealt with.

There's a cell phone provider that advertises an "all in" price specifically without any additional fees or taxes. Cricket I think. If you made a point in your advertisement that the advertised price had zero add-ons, people would understand. If you had clear, delineated packages with a price, and said "we don't tack on a bunch of extras like the other guys" then I think you'd get a lot more respect from people.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL to FredP

to FredP
Sorta related to the thread. Although it is somewhat cryptic when trying to come up with a price by using BHNs website, I like how you can get an exact quote when actually speaking to a person, or even in on-line chat.

We've made quite a few programming and equipment changes in the last 2 years. At the end of the calls/chats, I always ask what the actual bill will be, and I'm quoted, within a couple of cents, what the bill will be, with an explanation what EACH thing is costing, including taxes & local fees. 'course, the first bill after a change is usually kinda whacked because of pro-rating of charges-but the person will tell you what that first bill with pro-rating will be, and the next normal bill will be. The satellite competitors of BHN will NOT do that. I don't have experience with other cable providers so I can't speak to them.

monkeyarms
@68.205.67.x

monkeyarms to StephenRC

Anon

to StephenRC
said by StephenRC:

The charge was originally going to be $1 a month, and a year ago was changed to $2 a month. They forgot to do it this year.

It's only a matter of time before they increase the modem lease fee again. You don't think that these recent "free" speed increases were really free????
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten

I'm not complaining nor taking sides on this issue, but remember, it wasn't so long ago that there were NO rental fees for h/w. BH was surely making money then. Breaking it out as a line item is a defacto price increase IMHO.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by gigahurtz:

But in may cases they can't move back GH. They failed to read all of the fine print which includes the "two year agreement required). I understand where you are coming from but I have seen this personally so many times it would make your head spin. At least you know up front with us... there is no fine print, it's all posted at the top right next to the big price and how it breaks down. The other guys still use the fine print and post the outrageously false big RED number with the 50 lines of fine print wayyyyyy at the bottom of the ad that nobody reads. Humans are sadly very predictable with this stuff...does that mean everyone...nope....but most of ya fall prey to it all the time.

I understand the two year agreement scenario, it's just frustrating from a consumer's point of view when you get hit with all these additional fees. I completely understand the equipment fees as every household is different and not everyone needs 4 boxes. I believe you should pay for what you need which is exactly what BHN does.

The only part I don't like is the additional fees that everyone is doing -- broadcast TV fee, RSN, etc. I will say at least BHN is at $2 for Broadcast TV fee as I've seen higher elsewhere but it would be great if the price you see is the price you get across the board (with the only additional being what you pay for your extra boxes).

I guess the only way to avoid this is to cancel TV service, which of course my wife would probably kill me if I did

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl to FredP

to FredP
Thanks for reminding everyone, FredP. I was just thinking of this.

Also Time Warner recently increased their DTA charge to $2.75. I wouldn't be surprised if Bright House increases theirs too soon. And then spring is coming so you know what that means: the usual price increases of about 5-10+% one way or another. TW also increased the modem lease fee to $8. I will take bets that BH will increase theirs shortly. Source: »stopthecap.com/2014/12/2 ··· dta-fee/

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

Yeah, you're better off buying as much of your own equipment as you can in the long run. Your own modem + your own TiVo (especially if you have multiple TVs) pays for itself in a year or two, and that's without counting the regular price increases.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to paradigmfl

Premium Member

to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

Also Time Warner recently increased their DTA charge to $2.75. I wouldn't be surprised if Bright House increases theirs too soon. And then spring is coming so you know what that means: the usual price increases of about 5-10+% one way or another. TW also increased the modem lease fee to $8. I will take bets that BH will increase theirs shortly. Source: »stopthecap.com/2014/12/2 ··· dta-fee/

Old news and that is TWC not BHN. But thanks....
facke020
Lake Mary, FL

facke020 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by facke020:

Don't think my TV has that but will check.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by facke020:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by facke020:

Don't think my TV has that but will check.

Please do...this is a very common problem with new TV's. It may be called a couple of different things but I gave you the most common. If you post your make/model I can tell you quick.
facke020
Lake Mary, FL

facke020

It was Power Savings option on my LG. Turned it off and it seems to work better..