MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

6 recommendations

jopfef

MVM

[Chat] New "critter" -- of sorts...!

I have a new living thing in this house. Say hello to the Amaryllis that arrived yesterday!

I was stunned when Les gave me this for Christmas! She was already gone when I opened it up, and I immediately texted her and told her: "I hope you know that I have a LONG history (with the glaring exception of being able to grow violets) of having a Black Thumb!"

She texted back and asked, "Do I need to come and rescue the bulb?"

I told her I'd give the poor thing a fighting chance, and we'd see how it goes. So I cleared off the shelf over the kitchen sink (good excuse!), and made a spot for this sizable pot with its little green shoots coming out of that huge bulb. I'll remember to turn it 1/4 turn every morning, and will also be able to monitor it for watering. And if it gets too cold outside, I can always pull it down to the counter, to get it away from the cold window. It'll still get plenty of light that way.

Really glad I don't have young cats anymore, because Amaryllis is extremely toxic to animals; its other name is Belladonna. Yikes! Cougar doesn't jump up on anything higher than the couch, so I don't have to worry about him. And this is plenty high enough to keep it away from the dogs. I do NOT want to kill any of my critters over having this plant. If I even get a hint that Cougar has been up on the counter, this plant is heading back to Les's house.

So, we'll watch and see what happens with this bulby thing.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

We love those. I am going to have to go out and buy one.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

2 recommendations

Icarus to jopfef

Mod

to jopfef

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

2 recommendations

Santa Fe to jopfef

to jopfef
Nice plant, but when you mentioned Amaryllis I was expecting THIS

Amaryllis!

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to Icarus

MVM

to Icarus
Ick, I have a VERY LONG history of killing plants!!! I can grow a garden outside, but forget having house plants; I've even managed to kill a cactus -- LOL!!!

The one glaring exception was growing violets years ago. I seemed to have a knack for growing them. And then I got my first cat. That little SOB tore apart my violets in just a couple of days, so I even gave up on them.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe

said by jopfef:

The one glaring exception was growing violets years ago. I seemed to have a knack for growing them. And then I got my first cat.

Whew, for a second there It wasn't looking good there for the cat.