dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

[Beginner] Apple Airport Extreme router Ok with Win7 PCs?

Is the Apple Airport Extreme router series good for Windows PCs or does it have to be for OS-X machines in order to use these routers?

They say that these are the best of the best routers out there for home users. Now I don't know how best means, but anybody can provide me some input on how good they are compared to like Cisco, DLink and etc?

thx
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by avze:

Is the Apple Airport Extreme router series good for Windows PCs or does it have to be for OS-X machines in order to use these routers?

Any device can use the Apple routers they do not need to be OSx devices.

Weather they are the best or not is up for discussion but I have been using then for a while now in a number of place and no issues.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to avze

Premium Member

to avze
I haven't had any issues in my house. I have 4 routers going, Cisco, FON, an Apple Express and Apple Extreme. Generally I'm using the two Apple routers, depending on where in the house the device is. The FON is being used for the Nintendo DS machines.

Included in the house, apart from Apple stuff, are 4 Android devices, Windows Surface Pro, Windows 7 laptop, a Linux laptop, Nintendo Wii, XBOX 360 and PS3. All are work wirelessly with the Apple Airports.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

I will warn you, that the newest Airport Extreme and Time Capsule require either a computer with OS X or an iOS device to set them up. Though once it's setup any wifi certified device can connect to and use the network.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 edit

2 recommendations

Nezmo

MVM

said by kitsune:

I will warn you, that the newest Airport Extreme and Time Capsule require either a computer with OS X or an iOS device to set them up. Though once it's setup any wifi certified device can connect to and use the network.

This isn't true any more. You can set-up via a PC with the AirPort utility. In fact, the PC utility has some options the Mac version does not.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to kitsune

to kitsune
said by kitsune:

Nope just need the airport utility.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to avze

MVM

to avze
I have the latest ac Extreme and it serves up to 50 devices on my network at times - complete mix of PC, Apple stuff and other equipment. But, it does drop the Internet connection randomly while all devices still show full Wi-Fi bars and the router has a green LED. Many reports of this. It's also the only router I have ever had that is affected when my microwave is in use. YMMV.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Is your router acting like a canary in the mine?
Isn't it implying there is a bunch of rf leakage?

Your microwave sounds spooky to me.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by Liberty:

Is your router acting like a canary in the mine?
Isn't it implying there is a bunch of rf leakage?

Your microwave sounds spooky to me.

Quite conceivably. But it's not the first time I've heard of microwaves affecting Wi-Fi.
kitsune
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to avze

to avze
From apple.com:
System Requirements
Setup and Administration
Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3
iOS device with iOS 6 or later and AirPort Utility 1.3

So unless apple hasn't updated their requirements listed on the website you cannot setup a 802.11ac apple base station without an apple device.

As for microwaves, they have always caused interference for 802.11b/g/n networks as they operate in the unlicensed 2.4ghz range. So nothing spooky happening there.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to avze

to avze
Not sure how relevant this is, but Newegg is selling refurbished ASUS 170 dollar router for 99 bucks...

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -Product

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to kitsune

MVM

to kitsune
said by kitsune:

From apple.com:
System Requirements
Setup and Administration

So unless apple hasn't updated their requirements listed on the website you cannot setup a 802.11ac apple base station without an apple device.

Then I may be wrong. I did set mine up using a Mac but the utility on my PC sees the ac router and lets me update its settings.
kitsune
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

It will see it, but you will notice that the icon in the sidebar is just the airport symbol. Instead of looking like the router, like the previous models. This is a sign that it's not compatible. If you try to set it up from scratch you will get a message that it can't.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to avze

Premium Member

to avze
I have an Airport Extreme, and while my network is mostly Macs and iPhones, My 1 PC and roomates 2 laptops also have no problems connecting. Friends with PC's and Androids also have no problem connecting to it. To use external drives connected to it the PC's do have to have Airport Utility installed.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by kitsune:

From apple.com:
System Requirements
Setup and Administration

Then I may be wrong. I did set mine up using a Mac but the utility on my PC sees the ac router and lets me update its settings.

Yep, and the PC utility still lets you get a little more granular with settings than the one in 10.10. In fact, I also found an Airport Utility Launcher for 10.10 that will launch Airport Utility 5.6.1. I hate the new OS X version. The PC (and old OS X) version let you look at things like what's attached to the AP (wireless MACs) with signal strength, look at logs, etc, and the new OS X one is so dumbed down, it's pathetic.
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

Oh boy....

I just ordered the Apple Extreme from an online shop and after reading these replies that it must have an Apple machine to set it up, I rushed back and cancelled my order....

I do not have any Apple machines in the house or devices at all. Only a Windows PC. And an iPhone. That's all.

What a bummer....I was really happy about this router. Looked great.
And I do not have any friends or family who even has Apple machines....

Now, unless someone can really confirm that the setup portion can also be done on a Windows PC, then I will order it again. But I put my order on hold for the meantime until someone can confirm this.

Thanks!
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

If I have some time today I will pull one and test with a PC to verify.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to avze

MVM

to avze
said by avze:

Now, unless someone can really confirm that the setup portion can also be done on a Windows PC, then I will order it again

Does Airport Extreme work with Windows 7?

Yes, it does. But you should install Airport Utility from the BootCamp dvd first, so you can configure it. The setup steps are mostly like it's on Mac OS X.

Airport Extreme is a very nice product but the Netgear R8000 is the one I would suggest is far better.
kitsune
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to avze

to avze
said by avze:

I do not have any Apple machines in the house or devices at all. Only a Windows PC. And an iPhone. That's all.

All you need is the iPhone. At least if it's running iOS 6 or later.
kitsune

kitsune to mozerd

to mozerd
You CANNOT reliably setup a .11ac Apple Base station with windows. It is spelled out quite clearly on the specs page that I quoted earlier. You can connect and use the base station with windows but currently cannot setup or administer it with anything other than a mac or iOS device.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to avze

MVM

to avze
said by avze:

You contradicted yourself. An iPhone is an Apple device. as kitsune See Profile says, the iPhone will work just fine.