spc
Search similar:

uniqs

KMN_MD
join:2009-06-15
Frederick, MD

KMN_MD

RT-AC66U Randomly Changing SSID & Key

Folks, is anybody having the the same problem that I'm having which is one minute everything is fine, then next minute no WiFi because the router either changed the SSID to some random ASUS naming convention and/or changed the encryption key?

Its not too often, just once every other day or so....It doesn't affect my Guest Network...

Currently installed the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3626 about a week or so ago, so I'm assuming it has to be the root cause because up until then, everything was fine...

StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

StyxKee

I have the same router and firmware but have not encountered any issues. (Knock on wood.)

Did you restore configuration files from previous firmware versions? Try to set up the router fresh.

When you installed the latest firmware (apparently, there is a newer one just came out), did you do router reset?

I have read somewhere that USB drive/device connected to the router may cause issue. Try disconnecting the USB drive/device.

Other resource you can find about the Asus routers: »forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· php?f=37

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to KMN_MD

to KMN_MD
I'm using the Best Buy version of the same router (RT-AC66R) otherwise exactly the same but for model number. I'm also using the same firmware. I've had no issues like this. Indeed the 3.0.0.4.376_3626 firmware is by far the most stable one yet. I've never heard of a router randomly changing SSID's. Using the guest modes with multiple options as the RT-AC66 does it's possible that differing SSID's could be scheduled to activate at differing times. Do you have and schedules set for anything?

StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

StyxKee

said by PamelaTS:

I've never heard of a router randomly changing SSID's.

Actually, that happened to me a few weeks ago to my D-Link DIR-655. For some reason, the router resets itself and back to the default mode (including the default SSID), and lost all security settings. After 3 years, that was the first time this kind of reset to default by itself happened. Then again, the incident happened around the same time I replaced the cable modem, it could well be I accidentally hit the reset when I tried to plug the power connector back in.
lethalsniper
join:2010-10-01
North York, ON

lethalsniper to KMN_MD

to KMN_MD
How is ASUS RT-N66U for online gaming looking to use it with 3 Xbox without having any NAT problems.
mydns
join:2015-01-07

mydns to KMN_MD

to KMN_MD
I have exactly the same problem. RT-N66U running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_1071. Would you happen to have another Asus router on your network? I have an Asus RT-N56U running in Access Point mode and it happens to both. Lately, it seems to only happen on the 5 GHz frequency, but I think it has also happened on the 2.4 frequency. But never both at the same time.
lethalsniper
join:2010-10-01
North York, ON

lethalsniper

How would the netgear nighthawk 7000 compare to the RT-N66U asus

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 recommendation

BlueMist to mydns

to mydns
I see that the Asus RT-AC66U is being supported by DD-WRT firmware.

mydns or KMN_MD might want to load DD-WRT into your 66U and see if that firmware is more stable for you. Might help others if the problem quits with just the DD-WRT firmware change or if it continues, indicating a hardware issue.