uniqs

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium Member
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA

BuckarooB

Premium Member

[iPhone] 6 or 6plus... I can't decide...

So we are headed to go pickup my new iPhone tomorrow... been debating on upgrading or not... since I had a Launch 5 that just recently (this past Sept) got replaced due to poor battery life. But now the better half said she would get me a new iPhone as a belated Christmas present... so now I don't know if I should go all out and get a Plus or not? Does the extra battery life and screen size out 'weigh' the 'inconvenience' of the phone size?

I like to just stuff my phone in my front pocket at work when transitioning between my cubicle and a meeting or stints in our power lab, or when I'm at a client's site doing commissioning... do you think the Size of the 6plus would be too much of a hinderance?

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Get the Plus. Use it for a week and change. If you don't like it, exchange it. That was my plan, and the Plus is still with me two months later.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
Making a phone call on a 6 Plus is like holding a refrigerator up to your ear. Just ridiculous if you ask me.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
Its personal preference. I myself have a 6 and love the size, and i absolutely would never get a 6plus.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
Both of my coworkers are constantly charging their iPhone 6 after lunch time. They charge it at home as well but the battery according to them is the same or worse than the 5s. I have the 6+ and my battery lasts me all day and I use it more than them. The only time I charge my phone at work or even in the car now is because I forgot to charge it the night before.

The 6/6+ in general though is not as comfortable to hold as the 5s. Since both phones require both hands with the 6+ more often. I just stayed with my 6+ and love it. Reading emails is much more comfortable than when I had the 5s. I got used to the size of the 6+ after 3 months.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
There are alternatives to holding the phone up to your ear to make and receive calls.

BuckarooB
Premium Member
Cloverdale, VA

BuckarooB

Premium Member

thanks, yeah I like the form factor of my 5... its small and 'cute' and functional... in car it won't make difference for me as I'll just use the BT enabled features anyway... reading emails on my 5 though is a bit of a challenge... so I think I'll go the route of the 6plus and give it a try... now... I need to choose a color...
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Making a phone call on a 6 Plus is like holding a refrigerator up to your ear. Just ridiculous if you ask me.

Well, I'm 6'5" 250lbs so the 6+ is a normal size phone for me.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

To each their own. I have a friend who just got one and it looks ridiculous when he's making a call. Personally, I've found myself using landlines more and more. I may just get a prepaid when my contract expires.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

2 recommendations

djrobx to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Owning a 6 plus, the most amusing thing about it is how negative a lot of people are towards it. "Why not just carry around an iPad?" "Oh my god it looks ridiculous holding it against your head". *Scoff* *Scoff* *Nose up in the air*

It's pretty damn funny. The 6+ works for me, I like the larger screen since I mostly surf with it anyway. Never had any issues keeping it in my pockets (which, for all of those who are apparently wondering, is not something you can do with an iPad. ). Mine is still nice and flat too, despite having it in said pockets. I'm not in the least bit concerned about how I look holding it to my head, since doing so around other people is generally considered rude anyway. I've jogged with it, ridden my bike with it, all no problem whatsoever.

The 6 is a great size too. I was never a fan of the 5 / 5S size. The longer length was helpful for the on-screen keyboard but I really wanted some more width to make reading more comfortable. I thought the 4 / 4S was a better form factor if you like small.
rugby
I think I know it all.
Plainfield, IN

rugby

said by djrobx:

Owning a 6 plus, the most amusing thing about it is how negative a lot of people are towards it. "Why not just carry around an iPad?" "Oh my god it looks ridiculous holding it against your head". *Scoff* *Scoff* *Nose up in the air*

If they made an iPad mini with a phone in it I'd buy one. LOVE my 6+.
rugby

rugby to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

To each their own. I have a friend who just got one and it looks ridiculous when he's making a call. Personally, I've found myself using landlines more and more. I may just get a prepaid when my contract expires.

Some people don't buy phones based on what you think they look like. I also love the extra batter life, I'm on my phones for at least an hour a day making calls via cell and soft phone through our PBX. Also using google apps and collaborating with my team.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
I loved the form factor of the 5/5s. I have since upgraded to a 6 and overall am satisfied with it. However, it's ALL about PERSONAL preference. Go to an Apple store where you can hold a 6/6+ without too much interference. Try out "reachability" (double-tapping, not double-pressing, the home button).

The battery for the iPhone 6 is much improved over the iPhone 5; if folks have battery issues already with their 6/6+, they need to check their settings regarding location services, background app refreshing, and display brightness.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

TamaraB to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
I have had the 6+ for about a month now. At first, it felt a bit awkward holding it up to my ear, I kept holding the earphone too high --- yeah it's a bit big. I got used to it, and now it feels natural like my 5s was. I have also gotten used to this LG HBS750 bluetooth headset, which allows for hands-free phone use.

The screen is much more readable than the 5s. The battery life is way better, I charge it every other day or so, sometimes even every 3 days. The 128GB holds all my music, and all of my photos. Oh, and the optical image stabalizer (available on the 6+ only) is rather incredible. Videos shot with the thing look like the camera is mounted on a tripod --very stable.

My idea was to replace my 5s and iPad with the 6+, and have both functions in one device. This has worked out well, and I am ready to sell or gift-away my iPad.

All in all, I am very happy with this 6+ on T-Mo. I upgraded my GF's phone with my 5s, and now holding my old 5s seems really tiny in comparison.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to BuckarooB

MVM

to BuckarooB
I find the 6 to be about as big a phone as I want. Battery life is better than on my 5s. So much so that I may not get a Mophie juice pack, which I needed with my 5s. On my commute, I would normally use about 20% of the battery on my 5s. With the 6, it's about 10%

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123 to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
I have friends with a 6+ who love it and others who returned it for the 6 after a few weeks because it was too big to carry around in a pocket all day. I went for the 6, thinking the 6+ is too big. There are times when I find even the 6 is awkward when it's in the pocket of some of my pants. FWIW, I'm 6'5", 225.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
I personally would opt for the 6 rather than the 6+, although I would probably lament the loss of some of the extras with the camera system the Plus has. While I never, ever put my phone in a pocket (I use a belt holster), I think the Plus would be unwieldy size-wise for me anyway.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to BuckarooB

Anon

to BuckarooB
Get the 6. You may have trouble finding one. None of the Verizon stores around here have them. I had to get one from Best Buy.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
I was in the same boat. I was pretty sure I was going to go with a 6. While at the Apple store I was go back and forth. I ended up with the 6 plus. I've only had it a few days now but the battery life is great and the screen real estate is a "plus" for me, no pun intended. It is a little weird holding the phone up to my ear but I'm sure it will seem less weird over time.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

2 recommendations

Moffetts to BuckarooB

to BuckarooB
Love my 6+. Bitches be all jelly when I hold that beast up to my head.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

Love my 6+. Bitches be all jelly when I hold that beast up to my head.

Compensating for something eh?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to BuckarooB

MVM

to BuckarooB
I find that I only charge my iPhone 6 Plus about every other day or every 3 days. Even then I typically could go another day without charging.

As for the size it's a bit of a mixed bag. I prefer the size the most when I am looking at the screen and revel in the fact that I went with the plus. However, the size can be a minor issue at times with respect to portability. I use a belt holster for the plus because I never quite liked the idea of putting a phone in my pocket. In the hand use is fine for me. I can mange with one hand in most use cases but I sometimes use two. I don't consider using two hands unnatural or some kind of forbidden hedonistic practice that would incur the wrath of the techno gods.

As for how one looks when making calls, I honsitly don't care. Who makes calls on these things anyway,.....? Just kidding I mean I really don't care how I look or what people think but I often use a Motorola Bluetooth stero headset. I forget the model exactly. I Would even use the EarPods that came with it in a pinch. I rarely hold this thing to my head to make or receive calls.

Having said all that, I think most people (Apple users) would be better served with the iPhone 6 not the plus.

BuckarooB
Premium Member
Cloverdale, VA

BuckarooB

Premium Member

thanks for all the responses... I got me a 64gb 6plus gold... go bold or stay home... lol

now when I pick up my 5... wow.. its so tiny... lol

reading emails, browsing, so much easier now, especially for my old eyes!

now time for some case shopping...
rugby
I think I know it all.
Plainfield, IN

rugby

Excellent choice! I had the Apple black leather case and it wasn't bad but switched to the Rokform aluminum mountable case here: »www.rokform.com/aluminum ··· untable/

As I have a rokform mount on my bike. This case is VERY solid and well built. I think they rushed it at first as I have some tooling marks on the metal parts of the case but it's definitely protected.
Expand your moderator at work
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Re: [iPhone] 6 or 6plus... I can't decide...

As I said earlier, to each their own. Having a cell phone the size of Montana defeats much of the purpose of having a portable phone (IMHO).

But hey, if it works for ya, keep right on using it.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

not quite right

Click for full size
This ...
Click for full size
Is NOT this!
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

As I said earlier, to each their own. Having a cell phone the size of Montana defeats much of the purpose of having a portable phone (IMHO).

Seriously the size of Montana ...
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Seriously the size of Montana ...

Alright, alright... maybe just the size of Oregon.. but still...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I think it looks ridiculous when people use a land line,.....

Just kidding,......

However, your post really helped to drive home the fact that I rarely hold the phone to my head to use the built in mic / earpiece. In the car I use Blutooth for hands free operation and outside I use a Motorola Bluetooth Sport Stereo Headphone set with Mic and Controls (Model number: S10-HD). Either that or the EarPods that came with it.

The idea of holding the phone to my head almost seems antiquated,.....you know,....like that landline you love so much,.....

Just kidding again,...

Edit:

BTW, the ASUS PhonePad is a 7" tablet (Android) with built in GSM phone. For those who are amused by such things that would probably seem comically large. However, once again, I see little to no reason to hold these things to your head.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

3 recommendations

Majestik to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

It's a smartphone. I certainly wouldn't buy a smartphone for just talking and minor texting or even pay $900 for it. I would get a cheap cellphone.

i use Internet and text unlimited globally. Podcast,TV,radio,camera,recorder.
Trade stocks,shopping,wifi calling,pay bills,gaming,etc.
I wear earbuds most of the time. According to my records I've talked on my iphone 5 less than 2 hours in the past 12 months and around 4 minutes of that was with the phone to my head. Average 7g/mo. data and over 1k texts.

I've had my 6 plus for 4 weeks,so far I've talked on this phone 17 minutes consumed 7gig of unlimited data about 30 hours as hotspot(my home Internet) so far,and 72 text messages in the U.S. And 3 countries.