spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

[Install] Special outlet installation restrinctions in Seattle

We just went through an unsuccessful cable installation - the technician was not prepared to install outlets, and that was the only reason we were having a "professional" installation.

While the technician was here he said that in Seattle Comcast was allowed to install outlets only on exterior walls that had no woodworking, panels, etc. Is this true? I understand the "exterior wall" part, but not the paneling. (I assume paint or wallpaper is ok.)

If this restriction is true, am I allowed to do my own inside work - cutting through paneling, installing a low voltage wall box, etc.? I would still want them to run the cable, attach it to the wall plate, etc.

I would ask Comcast, but I don't know how to contact anyone that might know the answer.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

1 edit

nunya

MVM

[Install] Re: Special outlet installation restrinctions in Seattle

You are much better off doing your own wiring / interior work.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

This is the comcast HSI forum...Not Charter.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Yeah, I "Hey modded" it so they would move it.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

O ok gotcha !
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

Not sure I understand the reference to Charter. Did I post in the Charter forum? If so, I apologize.

Regarding my original question, Comcast has to do at least some of the exterior wiring because I have an old (at least 26 years old) and dead (cut and wrapped around a utility pole) cable running to my house. Is there any problem with their doing the exterior work while I do the interior work? I have the impression the technicians run under quite specific and limiting rules. At least that's the way the technician described it.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Any installation that requires the installer to go "above and beyond" is going to be problematic.
Cable installers are typically contractors paid by piecework. No matter how long it takes them to do something, they get paid the same. Therefore, they are reluctant to do any special work if they do not have to.
Usually the company charges extra for this kind of work to keep it to a minimum, or they refuse to do it at all.
Special work would be things like fishing walls, attics, crawl spaces, or cutting holes in wood.
There's no law against running your own outlets. You can get everything you need at Lowe's Depot Menard's.
Installers are also usually loaded heavy without adequate time to do their regular work, let alone adding special work.