MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

6 recommendations

MartinM

Premium Member

Fake Review Websites

Your thoughts? Paying for fake reviews when some of us honest businesses work years to achieve customer loyalty? Some companies using this kind of fake marketing and I despise it.

GoneVoIP.ca

"Our site is owned and operated independently. To maintain the site and keep growing the materials herein we consider advertiser and sponsor funding. We may possibly get compensation from providers based on visitors' interactions with our site. - See more at:"

»www.gonevoip.ca/

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

I had a fun conversation with those guys over Twitter.

Indeed their website provides good reviews for money. Their AcroVoice review likely qualifies as libel.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM

Premium Member

Fake star system, with 2/5, visitors not allowed to vote on those stats, however we have 85% of real reviews. wow, I would not even pay 50 cents if that's all we needed to get to the top.
MartinM

1 recommendation

MartinM to Trev

Premium Member

to Trev
said by Trev:

Their AcroVoice review likely qualifies as libel.

It is libel if they are faking reviews. The owner is from India. Shame to VoIP providers boosting themselves to the top.

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by MartinM:

Shame to VoIP providers boosting themselves to the top.

Yup. So much this.

Although anyone with a brain can quickly see how poorly the site has been created and discredit it fairly quickly based on the poor grammar alone.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by Trev:

Although anyone with a brain can quickly see how poorly the site has been created and discredit it fairly quickly based on the poor grammar alone.

Not to mention the math.... last I checked, when you only have 5-star reviews, the average rating would be.. 5-stars.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to MartinM

Premium Member

to MartinM
Martin:

I'm not sure many folks would use that site. It's not very professional looking.

The good news is, at least they discredit themselves upfront.

Cheers.
said by MartinM:

"Our site is owned and operated independently. To maintain the site and keep growing the materials herein we consider advertiser and sponsor funding. We may possibly get compensation from providers based on visitors' interactions with our site. - See more at:"

Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 recommendation

Mango

Premium Member

I wrote one of the AcroVoice reviews to see what would happen to the average rating. The answer is nothing happened to their rating. It's not tied to user submissions at all.

I see that mathematically VoIP.ms scores 4.42 stars out of five. Yet its overall rating is listed as two stars.

Its rating of Comwave seems accurate. Yet they've named Comwave Canada's top VoIP provider for 2014. That seems...a bit of a stretch. »www.gonevoip.ca/canadas- ··· oviders/

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

2 recommendations

Trev

Premium Member

said by Mango:

they've named Comwave Canada's top VoIP provider advertiser for 2014.

Fixed that for you [and them]

gonevoip
@173.34.198.x

gonevoip to MartinM

Anon

to MartinM
Thanks Martin from Voip.ms for bring the focus to us. Note worthy you guys had contacted us to buy out the negative reviews found in our site. In which case we declined saying that is not what we do, reviewers decided to post for a reason. Also we offered to update our critical view; but in exchange asked to see it is true (any) changes are required. Also told you you can always answer, for free reviews...

We've asked Canadians in a 4-months survey to vote for Canada's Top Provider and the result is what it is shown...

Yes, we work with providers/advertisers - as stated in our homepage. We are upfront. Many/majority see and a benefit from the value of having a localized social media attention.

Regrettably bullies always undo to themselves by calling ill-attention. Thanks for it nonetheless.

Happy holidays!
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM

Premium Member

I didn't read your reply, you're a fake review website, that's it. There's nothing you can say about positioning reviews on a fake website according to how much people pay you.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

3 recommendations

nitzan to MartinM

Premium Member

to MartinM
All so-called "VOIP review sites" out there are fake. Other examples: voipreview.org, thedigest.com and myvoipprovider.com - they are all owned by the same guy and providers are displayed at the top according to what they pay or what their affiliate program pays. It's a no brainer that Phone Power is always on top because their affiliate program pays more than any other program out there.

Another fake review site: whichvoip.com

To give you an insight to just how bad it is - these guys start their bidding at sums like $500-1000/mo for the lowest positions. To be at the top those providers are paying thousands of dollars a month.

Pretty much the only real review site I know of is this forum.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM

Premium Member

PS: Sorry for exposing you, in the food chain, cockroaches don't go far.

gonevoip
@173.34.198.x

gonevoip

Anon

Don't you worry - you already lost. Believe you don't even realize what just happened.

In case you still don't, you just confirmed you tried to buy-out the negative reviews for Voip.ms in gonevoip, and after we opposed you/your team decided to start an ill-campaign... Funny isn't it, trying to discredit someone while actually doing the opposite and in the meantime discrediting yourself in perhaps the most humiliating way.
zamarac
join:2008-11-29
Canada

zamarac to MartinM

to MartinM
said by MartinM:

Your thoughts?

I don't think you should worry about it. Majority of subscribers aren't that stupid to the degree of trusting such sites, even less as a single info source. Look at redflagdeals.com to see what internet buzz means. When ordinary consumers exchange opinions about a provider and its deals - it may go for a few hundred pages thus showing public interest to the company. But when a company review is limited by 3-4 posts, and there' nothing else on that website to substantiate such reviews - it simply doesn't inspire trust.

gonevoip
@173.34.198.x

gonevoip

Anon

There are many review sites out there - canadianisp.ca to name one that is truly driven and supported by advertising... but they also say that much upfront or also just look car review sites for that matter.

It's silly to get into this discussion really. We do not compete with providers and appreciate actual competition among providers to better services and prices. Certainly know some people appreciate dslreports and so on. That's perfectly fine, simply, we cater to a wider audience; regardless of being technical or not.
Expand your moderator at work
drivel
join:2013-07-12
Santa Clara, CA

2 edits

drivel to MartinM

to MartinM

Re: Fake Review Websites

This is a common practise everywhere on the internet. The top rated sites are those with the best affiliate programs. Phonepower has a good affiliate program. voip.ms does not have an affiliate program. Phonepower is currently offering affiliates $75 per signup.

»www.phonepower.com/refer ··· ate.aspx
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

4 recommendations

MartinM

Premium Member

My point is, if a customer is truly not satisfied with our service, let him express himself on a true website, like DSLR and many others. . But Googling a company you are considering to use, as a customer and end up reading fake material is disgusting.

As much as the website is obviously fake to for experienced internet users, not everyone is well versed in the art of internet fraud detection. That is my point. As a human being, it's not much about the company I'm being part of, it doesn't matter, they have like 100 twitter followers and 150 views per day, it's about a matter of principle, not insulting human intelligence for people wanting to adopt a new technology. I don't want to sound offended, sorry. But please, respect internet and VoIP users. Thanks.

/Rant over

sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

sammoats to MartinM

Premium Member

to MartinM
Martin I can't agree with you more here! This undermines the efforts of those of us who honestly try.
Sam

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1 to MartinM

Premium Member

to MartinM
You have no idea how often I've been asked if I'd like to write for a site that's largely a front for a collection of affiliate programs. They try to look like they have real guidance for people who need to select a service provider, but they only recommend a handful of companies that pay them for each referral.

It's not an outright scam like paying for reviews, but it's pretty lame nonetheless.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac to MartinM

to MartinM
said by MartinM:

please, respect internet and VoIP users.

You can't argue with such guys efficiently this way. If you believe the above sites content is quintessential to internet fraud, and it results in large number of victims of false or misleading advertising, report it to enforcement authorities while discussing publicly here, and follow through until there is consideration of your reports. Though proving it may require access to the site logs meaning real investigation.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to MartinM

Premium Member

to MartinM
Reminds me of a Winston Churchill story:

At a dinner party Winston Churchill says to his dinner companion, “Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?”

The woman responds, “My goodness, Mr. Churchill. I suppose I would.”

Churchill replies, “Would you sleep with me for five pounds?”

She answers, “Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?”

Churchill answers, “Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.”

Anyway, I certainly agree that the best reviews (up or down) come from situations where neither the website, nor the individual reviewers, are subject to any financial incentives.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM to zamarac

Premium Member

to zamarac
said by zamarac:

You can't argue with such guys efficiently this way. If you believe the above sites content is quintessential to internet fraud, and it results in large number of victims of false or misleading advertising, report it to enforcement authorities while discussing publicly here, and follow through until there is consideration of your reports. Though proving it may require access to the site logs meaning real investigation.

Not worth it. Maybe I'm a fool. I've advised our board to not take into consideration. I just thought, that perhaps I could have helped taking a clear decision, not necessarily about VoIP.ms, there are plenty of great providers out there, and I hate capitalism about being lies. One life to live, call me stupid if you want.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to zamarac

Premium Member

to zamarac
Convincing a governing body to force the removal of inaccurate or misleading information on a website will very much be easier said than done. Think of all the resources of the film industry and how long The Pirate Bay lasted for example.

About the only thing that will stop such behaviour that I can think of is if the service providers operating affiliate programs terminated those accounts that are used inappropriately. This is unlikely to happen, as it would require competitors to work together for the benefit of the industry as a whole.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

1 recommendation

nitzan

Premium Member

said by Mango:

About the only thing that will stop such behaviour that I can think of is if the service providers operating affiliate programs terminated those accounts that are used inappropriately.

This negates the whole point of them setting up affiliate programs to begin with - they WANT their "reviews" to be featured first, and they WANT competitors to be listed at the bottom.

Marketing VOIP at this point has become essentially impossible. A single person (Roger Abbott) bought and controls all of the following: voipreview.org, voip-info.org, myvoipprovider.com, and thedigest.com. All of these used to be community-built sites before the owners (literally) sold out, and as such they dominate SERPs. In addition, they bid on AdWords traffic too - driving the cost artificially high. As a self-created monopoly in the VOIP lead generation business, it's in his best interest to drive costs higher to the detriment of both providers and users (who have to eventually pay for the higher ad costs). It's really quite disgusting when you think about it, but I guess that's what happens when an industry matures - there are always sharks who create an unfair advantage for themselves at the cost of everyone else. I'm honestly not sure about the legality of it all - there is a definite monopoly situation here - as a VOIP provider I have no choice who to deal with for lead generation - they're all owned by the same guy and his ridiculous prices. I chose to not play and told him to get lost, but unfortunately some other companies (some of them even on this forum) continue to feed his market distortion. Unless we ALL tell him to get lost, nothing will change.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

Think of all the resources of the film industry and how long The Pirate Bay lasted for example.

It was in Europe to begin with!!!

In this scenario a private investigation aimed at collecting evidence followed by a law suite of several small providers against the perpetrator operating several such sites may be an interesting alternative. Small claims court is a really small expenditure by default, but it can go a long way towards stopping this activity via publicly revealing all sponsors in the process.
zamarac

3 edits

zamarac to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

the best reviews (up or down) come from situations where neither the website, nor the individual reviewers, are subject to any financial incentives.

And where did you see such reviews - unless posted by a reputable comparative service? Even on this forum, mosts publications in Reviews section are driven by low priced highly dependable service received. Yes, the reviewers are compensated indirectly by savings and act honestly, but fundamentals sound similar - or not?

And on the forum - just recall the last guy who posted a bad review seeking just a few pennies refund from Anveo - its also driven by money. Of course, it can be tweaked how one look at it, but fundamentals of money moving the world remain the same.

I agree that every consumer is responsible financially for there "educated" choices. Nonetheless, if such ads result in significant lost profit for VoSPs, there's legitimate place for a law suite.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Trev

to Trev
said by Trev:

said by MartinM:

Shame to VoIP providers boosting themselves to the top.

Yup. So much this.

Not everything on net is real. Normal people see though bs. Then any site that uses them burns themselves. Normal people go elsewhere.
The VoIP that use those sites may get needy dumb people requiring help constantly or bitch about normal stuff. Weed out customers you do not want.

I am not into guns. Loved shooting a bb gun with dad. Did with my son but out grew the buck. No in town gun or bb. Buck no one noticed but a full bb someone may.
Story less long needed a 22 for gun range. Most sites omg no ahooting for kids. Or cricket. Ended up with a savage rascal aftee sorting through the websites. I filtered what I wanted to. Happy and at range told nice choice for son.
I filtered the clutter. If someone doesn't filter and ends up with stupid VoIP maybe you don't want them.

gonevoip
@173.34.198.x

-1 recommendation

gonevoip to MartinM

Anon

to MartinM
said by MartinM:

My point is, if a customer is truly not satisfied with our service, let him express himself on a true website, like DSLR and many others. . But Googling a company you are considering to use, as a customer and end up reading fake material is disgusting.

As much as the website is obviously fake to for experienced internet users, not everyone is well versed in the art of internet fraud detection. That is my point. As a human being, it's not much about the company I'm being part of, it doesn't matter, they have like 100 twitter followers and 150 views per day, it's about a matter of principle, not insulting human intelligence for people wanting to adopt a new technology. I don't want to sound offended, sorry. But please, respect internet and VoIP users. Thanks.

/Rant over

Just repeating false allegations will not make them true. It's unethical the behaviour and a lack of good judgement to start this thread. Just because you don't like something or is unfavourable to you doesn't make it less valuable and starting defamation is at best pathetic; internet bully behaviour at lowest level. If you do not want to follow us on Twitter, just un-follow (we did not asked you to follow us) and if you don't like our site don't visit us.

Also we will continue to encourage reviewers to submit their reviews, not only to us but also as we do to CCTS to file an official complaint. Regardless if that is favourable or not; is a fair process to consumers and providers.

Btw, post as anon to expedite responses - there is no need for us to reason/cause for this attention and interruption to DSLReports community, and I truly regret that. But note we were called here, and responded, not in kind but with the true. Our contact info is on our site shall anyone else wish to reach us.