spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG

Anon

[ONT] Slow Upload FIOS 50/50

I've been experiencing FIOS upload speeds of under 1 MB/s for the past several months. Download is always at least 50 MB/s. Two techs have been here and after replacing all of their equipment inside and outside the house and have determined that the problem is not in my home. They keep promising they will elevate it to a higher authority, Tier 2 for example, but nothing every gets done. I am frustrated with their lack of consideration and cooperation.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

Hi,
I don't know if the replaced equipment included the ONT or not but at this point, I suggest you try a post in the Direct Forum:
»Verizon Direct
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to RonG

to RonG
Try resetting your router to default settings.
It sounds like you were messing around with
the QOS settings within the router.

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG

Anon

It's not the router. The Verizon Tech tried a different router and the same thing happens with the upload problem. His measuring equipment that he plugged into my router shows normal speed, but not one of my 3 laptops agrees with is device. Tomorrow he's bringing in a Verizon laptop to see if the upload problem is the same and go from there.
fcfc2

fcfc2

Hi Ron,
Are you using the wireless only on your laptops? If so, have you tried connecting directly via ethernet and then test your speeds.
Also, are your laptops Windows or Apple?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to RonG

Premium Member

to RonG
It would need to be a pretty crappy laptop to only get 1Mb/s speeds over wireless. Even my PoC six year old laptop was able to get 150Mb/s download speeds and 70Mb/s upload speeds from the internet when I was on the 150/65. Although not quite the 155Mb/s down it would get from a wired connection.

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG to fcfc2

Anon

to fcfc2
I have a CAT-5 connection to the wireless router. I use Windows 7 and the other laptop is 8.
fcfc2

fcfc2

Hi again,
I would try another ethernet cable if possible, if you haven't already done so and use different ports on the router to test.
If that is the best you get wired on 2 or 3 machines then the tech who visits with his router is likely to get the same low upload. I'm starting to think ONT or beyond. Was the ONT rebooted in the troubleshooting process. If not...another step. I would also check the wireless up, just out of curiosity, it will probably be the same but...

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG

Anon

We did try a different Ethernet cable on a different port....same problem. He replaced the ONT and rebooted it. The low speed upload problem is consistent whether you have a wired or wireless connection to the router. New router made no difference. He also replaced the box outside where the fiber comes in. It is indeed a difficult problem to troubleshoot. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days when he brings in his Verizon-approved laptop.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to RonG

to RonG
Try connecting your ethernet cable directly to the ONT. Then do a speed test for us.

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG

Anon

I'll let the Verizon tech do it when he comes over this week to see if he gets slow upload with his laptop.
fcfc2

fcfc2

Hi again,
Couple of questions, are you using the Verizon router and do you get internet via coax or ethernet from the ONT?
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

It would of been easy for him to determine what the problem was. If he just plugged an ethernet cord directly to the ONT.

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG to fcfc2

Anon

to fcfc2
Using the Verizon router...the latest one they have. Internet via coax from the ONT.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

So, was the problem resolved?

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG

Anon

They are working on it...the problem is at the network level. Trying to get Verizon to resolve problem is like trying to take food out of a mountain lion's mouth.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

I had something similar about a year ago. The uploads were slow and dropping packets. After several failed attempts by field techs I got to a network tech out of Dallas who traced the problem to my CO. They replaced a card at the CO (don't know the specifics) and everything has been good since. Also got lucky that I was classified as a CL (community leader) on the Verizon run forums at the time (no longer) and was able to get the issue pushed up the line to get to the network tech - don't know if I could do that today if I needed to.

RonG
@173.72.172.x

RonG

Anon

That's where I suspect my problem originates. It's hard to convince the field techs that the problem is not in my home. Nevertheless, they are coming here tomorrow morning to do one final speed test with their own laptop before they bring it up to the network (CO) level. The problem with Verizon is that it's difficult to jump to the next level...you're at the mercy of the field tech who decides whether to go up to the next level.
Burdenzoo
join:2004-01-13
Grapevine, TX

Burdenzoo to RonG

to RonG
Hello
I'm having the same issue. We have FIOS 35/35 in the DFW area.
Download speeds are running 40Mbps. Upload speed when the test actually runs is posting less than 0.5Mbps. Verizon sent a Tech out. He checked the router, move outside to the ONT. Plugged a laptop directly into the Ethernet port on the ONT and had the same test results. Replaced the ONT same results. The Tech confirmed the issue was on their network and that he would raise a ticket to PONG (Not sure if I have this terminology correct??) something on the network. This needed to be done overnight when network traffic was at a minimum. The following day (Tuesday 1/6/15) receive a text message closing the ticket, problem resolved.
Speed test on Tuesday afternoon were good 32Mbps down and 30Mbps up.
Tuesday evening started having internet connection problems with Internet light on the router (MI424-WR) cycling between Amber and Green briefly.
After 106 minutes on the phone with Verizon tonight the cycling internet light issue is resolved however the very poor upload speeds (again less than 0.5Mbps when the test runs) are back.
Verizon Tech scheduled to come back out tomorrow as the guys on the phone tonight can't figure it out

RonG
@173.72.179.x

RonG

Anon

Verizon Tech was here this morning to confirm the slow upload speed was not in my home. He even checked at the ONT. He is now convinced the problem is at the network level, CO or other. He will call when the problem is resolved. They've been out here a few times and never seem convinced the problem was within their network...now they are positive that is is. I'm not the only one having the problem in the neighborhood.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to RonG

to RonG
You know, for all of the remote management TR-69/etc they're forcing into routers you must use in your home it's amazing that they have no insight into their own network that they unquestionably control lock, stock, and barrel.
robtrevino
join:2008-04-25

robtrevino to RonG

to RonG
Did it ever get fixed. I have very slow downloads and fast uploads. The opposite of what you're experiencing. They've also determined that the problem is not in my home, but it is still super slow.

RonG
@verizon.net

RonG

Anon

No, they are still working on it, at least I hope they are. It's been several days since they told me they would elevate the issue to a higher authority.

sh4dy15
@rr.com

sh4dy15

Anon

Got the exact same thing going on in Queens, NY. On 50/50 and I actually have 60Mbps download but 0.3mbps upload. This is on a wired connection. When I run the same speed test on my phone I get fairly normal speeds @ 45/45. First day they set it up I was getting 65/65 on my wired connection, so I am not sure what changed.

I am curious to know what your results are with whatever they are doing for you.

RonG
@verizon.net

RonG

Anon

I assume your phone is using your router for internet access. I just made an inquiry about the progress they're making with regard to the slow upload speed...Verizon replied that there were still doing testing to find out where the problem is. They've been doing testing since last Thursday.
fcfc2

fcfc2 to sh4dy15

to sh4dy15
Hi sh4dy15,
If you are able to get 45/45 from the wireless on your router, it means that you have to be getting at least that to your router. This most likely means that there is something wrong with one or more of the ports on your router or the port on whatever is connecting. It's either that or the ethernet cable. I would try swapping the cable and use different ports on the router and retest. Good luck

Br72
@verizon.net

Br72 to RonG

Anon

to RonG
Ron G, did this issue get resolved, and, if so, could you inform as to how? I'm having the exact same problem, and I have a tech coming out, which I fear will resolve nothing.
SDunused
join:2015-01-13
belgium

3 edits

SDunused to RonG

to RonG
same issues here but it varies, there's people with only download affected and theres people with only upload affected. verizon's network is getting over saturated beyond their capacity so they're giving everyone the same excuse. i had a post up with over 700 responses with people reporting the same issues.

»FIOS 7pm-11pm over saturation 75/75 turns to 5/75

this started on christmas 14' for me personally it was fixed for about a week and right now it's back with even more drastic drops on both upload and download. im getting 2/2 as we speak right now when im paying for 75/75

what i think happened is that they ended up swapping equipment in the CO for us affected which relieved the congestion until more and more customers signed up for verizon in my area as of recently there's been fiber installed in astoria, elmhurst and flushing (new york), now the same equipment they changed us to are getting all these new customers put onto it and we're back at the initial problem that was going on beforehand

take it from someone that's spent over 700 hours on the phone, chats and 7 appointments to swap every single piece of equipment at home. this issue is a mixture of CO over saturation and bad peering. if you have an alternative in your area i'd recommend it, i'm on time warner's 300/100 until verizon adds more capacity (which is gonna be a long while)

RonG
@verizon.net

RonG to Br72

Anon

to Br72
Yes, they fixed the problem but never told me where the problem was.