spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kavitatul
join:2014-12-29
Brampton, ON

kavitatul

[Unlock] Unlocking the BasicTalk ATA bought from Walmart 29th Dec 2014

Hi Need help with BasicTalk ATA unlocking, bought from Walmart yesterday.

Problem is it has ip address 0.0.0.0 and tried to run CMD and change ipconfig/ release and renew by connecting the pc with voip router. But cannot access web interface with 0.0.0.0

Any other help will be appreciated as I am a newbie and trying to set up this voip router to canada fongo
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

The ata should get an IP address from your router, and it will not be 0.0.0.0. Check my notes for steps to unlock the BasicTalk ata.

OE

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to kavitatul

to kavitatul
You shouldn't connect the ATA to the PC directly.
See »Re: [Unlock] Unlocking the BasicTalk ATA

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

Are their any problems with unlocking the BasicTalk ATAs that are likely to be currently in inventory at Walmart? In other words, has the current as-shipped firmware been fiddled-with in any manner that might preclude the unlocking methods (the Mackey modified firmware, for example) described in that other loooooong thread?

toro
Scarborough, ON

toro

The last batch of devices I bought was back in September (I am in Canada and don't travel too often to US) and I have had a minor issue with uploading any firmware to them with a web browser (see »Re: [Unlock] Unlocking the BasicTalk ATA) but was able to work around it quickly.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge to brg

to brg
said by brg:

Are their any problems with unlocking the BasicTalk ATAs that are likely to be currently in inventory at Walmart? In other words, has the current as-shipped firmware been fiddled-with in any manner that might preclude the unlocking methods (the Mackey modified firmware, for example) described in that other loooooong thread?

I've seen no report of unlocking being defeated.

I've purchased and unlocked these BT/Walmart units:

P/N 961-40019-30A001, Program 1.0.2.22, Bootloader 1.0.0.7, Core 1.0.2.5, Base 1.0.2.20
P/N 961-40019-30A003, Program 1.0.2.40, Bootloader 1.0.0.7, Core 1.0.2.6, Base 1.0.2.28

The only real problem I've seen is that the mackey unlocking firmware does not leave enough free storage for uploading/processing more recent stock firmware by way of the web interface.

To work around this issue, configure the device running mackey firmware to upload the current stock firmware directly from firmware.grandstream.com upon boot up (Method 2 in my notes).

OE

brg
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

Thanks, toro and OE. I have one on order; it will arrive on 1/8 at the local store for pick-up.
kavitatul
join:2014-12-29
Brampton, ON

kavitatul to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
But I read somewhere you cannot connect to router as it will render it unlockable once connected to internet. I am a newbie and in Canada and trying to unlock one bought from Walmart USA.
I tried everything but cannot change IP address to anything other than 0.0.0.0

brg
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

You =can= connect it to your router so long as your router is not connected to the Internet. In fact, connecting it to the router would ordinarily be how the device gets assigned an IP address. One other than 0.0.0.0.

I'll know more when I get mine and start tinkering with it...

toro
Scarborough, ON

toro to kavitatul

to kavitatul
said by kavitatul:

But I read somewhere you cannot connect to router as it will render it unlockable once connected to internet. I am a newbie and in Canada and trying to unlock one bought from Walmart USA.
I tried everything but cannot change IP address to anything other than 0.0.0.0

Obviously you didn't bother to read the link I sent you earlier or the notes from OzarkEdge See Profile

jduffy
Premium Member
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH

jduffy

Premium Member

You can disconnect your router from the Internet, then connect the TA to the router. In that way, the TA can never connect to the Internet, but you should be able to communicate to it via the router.

brg
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

brg to kavitatul

Premium Member

to kavitatul
I just used the directions from OE's "VoIP Project Notes" and the conversion from BasicTalk custom firmware to Grandstream standard HT701 firmware went quickly, no muss, no fuss. Piece of cake.

What I ended up with was:

Hardware Version V3.0A
Part Number 9614001930A
Program 1.0.7.3, Bootloader 1.0.0.7, Core 1.0.7.2, Base 1.0.7.3

Thanks, all, for my (well, my girlfriend's) new $8.31 delivered ATA.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

Cool. I've loaned out my spare HT701/VoIP.ms for trial in a household considering BYOD VoIP. Appears to plug and play behind an Actiontec Verizon FIOS MI424-WR router... a confidence builder.

OE
lbyer123
join:2014-03-29
usa

lbyer123 to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
Thanks to OE. I bought a BasicTalk ATA yesterday from my local Walmart and had it unlocked and provisioned for voip.ms fairly quickly. I used method 2 and was surprised how quickly the unlock process went. Many thanks to OE for such a professional tutorial even for those of us who only do these things once in a great while.

brg
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

2 recommendations

brg

Premium Member

My excellent results were also from following OE's clear directions and "method 2." But don't forget a shout-out to mackey for putting together the essential modified firmware linked to by OE, and toro who I think first got this whole ball rolling!
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by brg:

My excellent results were also from following OE's clear directions and "method 2." But don't forget a shout-out to mackey for putting together the essential modified firmware linked to by OE, and toro who I think first got this whole ball rolling!

Yes, indeed, Thanks to them!

OE