All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MPSAN
join:2001-05-15
Portland, OR

MPSAN

Does Frontier have, or provide, a Gigabit Router?

I am not looking for Gigabit service but does Frontier have a FIOS Router that supports gigabit LAN and switches? This would be good if we had NAS or MyCloud in my home, but even if I updated my switches to 1000, I would get bogged down as they go thru the 100 mb switch ports in the FIOS Router I have.
jelavich
join:2006-05-22
Elkins, WV

jelavich

I bought some of the tp-link gigabit desktop switches. $50 from newegg or amazon. I route all my connections through them, and bypass the frontier router unless its going outbound. works great.
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor to MPSAN

Premium Member

to MPSAN
Buy either a 10/100/1000 switch or wireless router that has 10/100/1000 ports. Like Jelavich indicated connect everything to either the 10/100/1000 switch or wireless router to avoid going through the Frontier router/modem/gateway with its slower ports. That way pretty much all network traffic except inbound and outbound internet traffic would be on 10/100/1000 switch/router and not the Frontier router/modem/gateway.

By buying a better wireless router you also have the added benefit of more features/configurability and possibly faster wireless speed in addition to the faster wired network speed. The downside to using your own wireless router is you may have to configure the Frontier router to play nice with the new wireless router.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall to MPSAN

Premium Member

to MPSAN
said by MPSAN:

I am not looking for Gigabit service but does Frontier have a FIOS Router that supports gigabit LAN and switches? This would be good if we had NAS or MyCloud in my home, but even if I updated my switches to 1000, I would get bogged down as they go thru the 100 mb switch ports in the FIOS Router I have.

There's the Actiontec MI424WR REV. I for Frontier FiOS customers which has gigabit ports.

If you don't have FiOS TV you can plop down any router there in its place if you have Ethernet instead of MoCA to it.
n2ubp
join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

n2ubp to MPSAN

to MPSAN
I've never been satisfied with the crippled routers with custom, non upgradable firmware provided by just about all ISP's. I usually end up bridging their box to a personally owned router that I can have full control over. In my case the Actiontec is bridged to my personally owner Asus RT-N66U running Merlin firmware.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by n2ubp:

In my case the Actiontec is bridged

Which is easy peasy if you don't have FiOS TV, a little more challenging if you do (and want to keep all the tv-related features)
MPSAN
Portland, OR

MPSAN to n2ubp

to n2ubp
Thank you Steve. I have FIOS TV and all seems OK. I guess my routers are OK as well as my wifi is only to my wife's Android phone so I only want gigabit speed for my desktops and a My Cloud setup...if I get it.

'73 from a W6
MPSAN

MPSAN to darcilicious

to darcilicious
I do have FIOS TV, but do not need a gigabit router I guess.
MPSAN

MPSAN to bennor

to bennor
bennor:

Hello, and our first house was in Milford!

SO, I can leave the routers alone as what I want is this...

Gigabit from my desktop systems that all have gigabit LANs. My 4 TiVo's and network printers are not gigabit and they will be going thru 100 mb switches. So, IF I set it up that all desktops are on gigabit switches, and the slower devices are on slower switches, can the slower devices connect to the gigabit switches without slowing them down? I assume that the speed of the gigabit unmanaged switches change depending what is on each port? Of course, I need one port to still connect to the router, but will this configuration provide gigabit speed to devices/systems that connect to each other via the gigabit switches?

Also, I know cat 5 is not as good as cat 6 but that is what I have. I assume that I will still see a change from 100 mb even with "only" cat 5 cable.
MPSAN

MPSAN to jelavich

to jelavich
"I bought some of the tp-link gigabit desktop switches. $50 from newegg or amazon. I route all my connections through them, and bypass the frontier router unless its going outbound. works great. "

Well, I have seen Gateway switches for $14...I will see what else is around but there seems to be a lot now for $20.
n2ubp
Middletown, NY

n2ubp to MPSAN

to MPSAN
From what I understand (and I might be wrong) the only way get max wired speeds out of home routers/switches is to reconfig all your equipment to use jumbo frames, and jumbo frames are not compatible with frame sizes used to transfer data to/from the Internet. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju ··· bo_frame
MPSAN
Portland, OR

MPSAN

"From what I understand (and I might be wrong) the only way get max wired speeds out of home routers/switches is to reconfig all your equipment to use jumbo frames, and jumbo frames are not compatible with frame sizes used to transfer data to/from the Internet. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo_frame"

Well, at least going from 100 to 1000 should have an impact. Perhaps not MAX but better than 100 mb for internal connections.

cprgolds
Woof Woof
Premium Member
join:2000-12-22
Portland, OR
Asus RT-AC88
Asus RT-AC68

cprgolds to MPSAN

Premium Member

to MPSAN
Heya MSPAN...

Sounds like I have the same router as you. I use that router to run MoCA for my TiVo's.

Then I feed another D-Link DIR-600 Router off of one of the Actiontec Ports to run a separate subnet with an eight port switch with all my other stuff that can running gigabit.

I have a Roamio Pro and 3 minis and they work well, except that everyone once in a while (like once a month) I drop signal from one of the minis. TiVo recommends 2 GHz splitters and when Verizon did the initial install, they used 1 GHz splitters. Its not worth it to me to change out the splitters if this is indeed a problem.

The other issue that you may see is that if you operate your TiVo stuff by tablet or smartphone, it needs to be on the same subnet to think that you are at home. Again, not a problem in my case.

If you have FIOS TV, using MoCA is definitely the way to go.
MPSAN
Portland, OR

MPSAN

Hello cpr...

I am in the west hills. I have an older THD and 2 Premiers and a mini (I got when they were $85). They ALL are direct connect...wired...and go to switches, so I am not using MoCA.

Since gigabit switches are less that $20 now, I may pick a few up and play. Not sure if I need 2 or 3 but the Tivos can stay on the 100 mb switches.
n2ubp
Middletown, NY

n2ubp to MPSAN

to MPSAN
Without jumbo frames enabled I got no more than 250mb internally with large file transfers, and it varied since most NIC's need main CPU assist to get the job done.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

It's been a while but pretty sure I've copied at greater than 800 mbps between two wired systems without having jumbo frames enabled.
MPSAN
Portland, OR

MPSAN

...and the main thing here is to MAYBE look into a WD My Cloud, that everyone said should be on a gigabit network for at least internal testing.

random_dude
@192.55.55.x

random_dude to darcilicious

Anon

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Which is easy peasy if you don't have FiOS TV, a little more challenging if you do (and want to keep all the tv-related features)

Yep. When I had FIOS and FIOS TV, I managed to get it to work. There are guides online on how to do it, but be warned it can brick their modem. My first one got bricked when I attempted to reset it to the factory defaults.
jelavich
join:2006-05-22
Elkins, WV

jelavich to MPSAN

to MPSAN
Yes they are cheaper now. When I bought them some time back they were a bit higher.

I also bought some of their 8-port switches which are extra handy.

And for the person talking cat-5/cat-6, I was thinking I needed to recable my house from the cat-5 I put in 10 years ago to run PoE, but it's been working just fine for the Ubitiqui APs I installed.
MPSAN
Portland, OR

MPSAN

If I do this I will look into the tp-link. I have a $10 credit from Newegg and a $14.50 credit from Rakuten. I can get 2 of these for very little money. Just need to see if 2 is enough. I believe I use 5 port switches now, and will keep the 100 mb switches between the tv, dvr's and BD Players in 3 rooms!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to NOYB

MVM

to NOYB
said by NOYB:

It's been a while but pretty sure I've copied at greater than 800 mbps between two wired systems without having jumbo frames enabled.

You're using something like an Intel or Broadcom NIC, right? Realteks and other chipsets tend to be more CPU bound than ASIC bound. I've done 900Mbps no problem without Jumbo frames on Windows 8, using maybe 10% of an i7 CPU at the max. That was with an Intel on-board NIC.

Then again, the NIC driver and any filter drivers installed will certainly make or break things. Anti-virus is a bad offender.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Yes at least one of the NIC's was Intel. System was an Intel NUC.

No longer have the other system but it was a fairly high end HP. Think it was an HP Revolve 810 G. It probably also had an Intel NIC.

Both systems where running Windows 8 or 8.1 and connected to a Cisco SG200-8 gigabit smart switch.