All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

throoowaway
@24.247.27.x

throoowaway

Anon

[HSI] Multiple connections in 1 dwelling?

Has anyone had any success in getting Charter to setup 2 residential internet connection in one home? The home in question, is currently shared by a handful of people. Some of whom, have no concern for friendly bandwidth usage. Sadly, that is their only flaw [Otherwise they would be perfect housemates!]

I would rather just get a separate connection, then screw around with QOS.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Not going to happen. Deal with your problem internally or suffer with it.
chmod755
join:2011-09-01
Hazelwood, MO

chmod755

QoS and possibly two APs (one 'advertised' for them, the other with a hidden SSID for you) is the only way to go unless you get a second Internet account from another provider such as a DSL company.
klank
join:2004-10-15
Beverly Hills, CA

klank to throoowaway

to throoowaway
You can have multiple residential accounts, they are designated with A and B. The other option is to get a business account and keep the residential account.

Techie02
@71.11.1.x

Techie02 to throoowaway

Anon

to throoowaway
Yeah you can do 2 internet lines in one home, just keep in mind you're going to pay for the 2 packages as well and they're both going to be the same price.

throoowaway
@24.247.27.x

throoowaway

Anon

Thanks all for the responses... We've tried dealing with it and an agreement was not met. Financially the current situation is VERY beneficial for everyone currently living in the home, some more than others... The bandwidth usage just happens to be our only point of disagreement.

I figure I veto out of the cable bill and use the money from that to help pay for my personal connection.

Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by throoowaway :

Thanks all for the responses... We've tried dealing with it and an agreement was not met. Financially the current situation is VERY beneficial for everyone currently living in the home, some more than others... The bandwidth usage just happens to be our only point of disagreement.

I figure I veto out of the cable bill and use the money from that to help pay for my personal connection.

Charter will not allow multiple service accounts to a single family home unless there is a designated rental. Plain and simple, they will only allow 1 line of service and 1 service account per address, and unless you have a lease agreement which shows you as renting a specific space that qualifies as a rental under your local/city/county guidelines for yourself, then charter will not run a new line to it, or split off an existing line to allow a new account at the same address. Someone suggested keeping the residential account and then getting a business account, but this does not work, as charter will only allow 1 service account per address.
klank
Beverly Hills, CA

klank

Sorry but you are wrong. I have had two residential accounts in the past and currently a residential plus business account at the same address.
krommulent
join:2010-04-07

krommulent to throoowaway

to throoowaway
there are many subs in my town with residential and commercial acct in the same home, it is done all the time, if you wanna send the check they will take it.

anonanonnoa
@104.207.136.x

anonanonnoa to Chubbysumo

Anon

to Chubbysumo
Charter will allow as many modems as you desire, but you must pay for HSI service for each of them.
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to Chubbysumo

Premium Member

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

said by throoowaway :

Charter will not allow multiple service accounts to a single family home unless there is a designated rental. Plain and simple, they will only allow 1 line of service and 1 service account per address, and unless you have a lease agreement which shows you as renting a specific space that qualifies as a rental under your local/city/county guidelines for yourself, then charter will not run a new line to it, or split off an existing line to allow a new account at the same address. Someone suggested keeping the residential account and then getting a business account, but this does not work, as charter will only allow 1 service account per address.

charter doesnt care if you are registered as rented or not etc

only thing charter cares about is the money if you got the money charter will let you have 2 or more internet connections to same address

for a while i had 2 residential accounts at my house "now i got one residential 1 business account" under the same name and social security and phone number

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to throoowaway

Premium Member

to throoowaway
I've had 2 charter internet connections for awhile, and every so often charter fucks up which connection is which. Also, you really don't seem to get much of an added connection speed (Although it does help).

I would personally go at least one line with charter business, or something unlimited like t-mobile or sprint if they have upgraded their cell towers in your area.

throoowaway
@96.42.180.x

throoowaway

Anon

said by Metatron2008:

I've had 2 charter internet connections for awhile, and every so often charter fucks up which connection is which. Also, you really don't seem to get much of an added connection speed (Although it does help).

I would personally go at least one line with charter business, or something unlimited like t-mobile or sprint if they have upgraded their cell towers in your area.

I wish sprint or t-mobile was an option around here...

Could you clarify what you meant by "...you really don't seem to get much of an added connection speed"?

Do you mean if you try to combine the two connections?
Or, do you mean that it would be degraded and the speed would not be close to near advertised speeds?

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I have a 100 mb line and a 60. Most of the time if you download from both it still equals around 100...

throoowaway
@96.42.180.x

throoowaway

Anon

said by Metatron2008:

I have a 100 mb line and a 60. Most of the time if you download from both it still equals around 100...

So the bandwidth is shared between the two even tho they are technically separate accounts?... Well that kind of sucks... ha, not so sure if this is the best option now. Grrrr!

Anyone else experienced the same thing?
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431

I would recommend setting up QoS with client limits on your router, or moving to a router that can limit bandwidth on a per client basis. Say there are 6 people in the home and you currently have a 60/4 connection. Giving everyone 15-20/2 is probably a fair allotment of bandwidth and the chances of a few people saturating the circuit are pretty slim that way. Adjust as necessary.

If you're talking about 10 or more really heavy users, consider moving to a business plan with additional bandwidth if coming to an alternate agreement is really that difficult.

AnonDude
@97.95.147.x

AnonDude to throoowaway

Anon

to throoowaway
said by throoowaway :

said by Metatron2008:

So the bandwidth is shared between the two even tho they are technically separate accounts?... Well that kind of sucks... ha, not so sure if this is the best option now. Grrrr!

Anyone else experienced the same thing?

Considering you still only have 1 line for the pole to the house then what else would you expect?

throoowaway
@96.42.180.x

throoowaway

Anon

I realized it would be one line. I had assumed that the line could support a fair amount of bandwidth without speed/Quality taking a hit.

I guess I was being a little too hopeful.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech

An apartment complex is fed by one line, they have multiple users. Each modem should be able to get full bandwidth unless there are capacity issues.
klank
Beverly Hills, CA

klank to throoowaway

to throoowaway
I get full bandwidth from both of my connections at the same time.

Others have something wrong like congestion on the node, or bad wiring if they arent getting full speeds.

AnonDude
@97.95.147.x

AnonDude to sittin_tech

Anon

to sittin_tech
said by sittin_tech:

An apartment complex is fed by one line, they have multiple users. Each modem should be able to get full bandwidth unless there are capacity issues.

I'm sure an apartment complex it on it's own node also I'm sure there are signal boosters involved.

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

cralt to throoowaway

to throoowaway
Why get complicated?

If your address is 123 main st just call up and say your 123B main st. Or 123 Main st APT2..
If 123 main st is in good standing they wont care. The rep will be happy making a sale. Worst thing that could happen is the tech shows up and wont do the install. No gain, No loss.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

The rep cannot make a sale for a non-existing address. 123 B main street would need to be in Charter's billing system, showing service availability, to schedule an install. This is the same procedure for most, probably all cable/phone companies. If a customer calls in for service and the address is not listed, a serviceability test has to be completed with a technician physically verifying the residence.

The op should be able to have a separate modem, but Charter might require the second modem to be listed on the primary person's account. There are separate departments verifying sales, reviewing trouble call scheduling, quality assurance, and it isn't just a matter of getting a rep to sell you something. I cannot even count the number of sales I've reviewed and cancelled due to inaccuracies or failure to adhere to regulations.
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to throoowaway

to throoowaway
Get a business line for the same address. There are thousands of customers with both a business modem and a residential modem at the same address.
pyro478
join:2002-02-26
Montevallo, AL

pyro478 to throoowaway

to throoowaway
my house is listed as an apt from when I had renters. I just had to take a rental agreement and tell them how many units. it's fairly useful for when promotions end since I just switch to a different apt. num for the latest promo.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

Lots of people work at home and use one connection for work and other for home stuff. We do this all the time for rental houses we have. They just flag the account business and residential. simple as that really two bills.
d3structun
join:2015-01-09
Saint Peters, MO

d3structun to throoowaway

to throoowaway
accounts are based on names and persons responsible . You can have multiple accounts in one household.
Understand you will pay for both services

Bandwidth is based off the modem and not the line. CMTS determines the flow of traffic to each modem. / sigma - billing