spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Cr15
@216.239.68.x

Cr15

Anon

provider chosing

Hello, I am just arrived in canada and I am about to take an appartement with everything included but internet.
I hope to be in the right section...
The flat will be close to cote des neiges metro in Montreal.
I am trying to avoid Bell and Videotron.I don't want cable tv and phone.
I will be at work from 9 to 17 where I have a very good connection.
I would prefer something Unlimited fast enough to make me watch video in streaming and youtube and use skype with my family. I am not an on-line gamer.

I check many many of the providers and I select some solutions basing on my needs and budget, I hope you can give me an advice in choosing the best one (the most stable, fast to install, easy to deal with (I will probably leave in one year).
So:
_Acanac DSL 10/1
_Acanac Cable 10/1
_Electronic Box FTTN 10/1 (limit of 250Gb/month, but unlimited from 2am to 2pmwhere I can download)
_Teksavy DSL 10/1 (limit 300Gb, but unlimited 2am -8am)
_Teksavy Cable 10/1.5 (limit 300Gb, but unlimited 2am -8am)
_Distributel FTTN 10/1
_CIK VDSL 25/10

the price of these are all good for me, which is the best/worst?

Thank you in advance to everybody can help!

cr15

JSE
JSEyo
join:2014-05-16
Nova Scotia

JSE

Basically all resellers, just find one that has a good deal, good cap and speed good enough for year.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Cr15

Premium Member

to Cr15
If the apartment your in is a highrise, cable internet can be hit or miss depending on the node that serves your building.

All DSL is provided by Bell and all cable is provided by Videotron, all these proivders wholesale from them. They're all good providers and they each haver there pros and cons, it really comes down to preferance for cost, speed and usage.

----

Acanac & Distributel DSL are same in the sense that they're the same company.
Acanac forum »Acanac

Electronic Box is a local company, they're out in Longueuil, there forum is here »Ebox,

TekSavvy has good customer support and I had no issues with them when I had cable internet from them, there forum is here »TekSavvy.

Cr15
@216.239.68.x

Cr15

Anon

Thanks JCohen,
the building is a three floors with 6 appartement total, do you think in that case is better DSL or Cable?
The girl who was in the appartement before me had videotron, so I think cable should be good....

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

In a building that small either cable or DSL should be fine, just like provider the it's pretty much preference.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

I personally prefer DSL, but Videotron manages their cable network *way* better than Rogers manages theirs in Ontario, so most of the complaints I have about cable aren't applicable to Quebec.

As JCohen says, pick whichever has the best price for you, and whichever technology you prefer or feel more comfortable with. Don't forget that if you go with DSL you'll also have to pay the dry loop fee unless you have a land line phone.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to Cr15

to Cr15
Teksavy DSL 10/1

I have been with Teksavvy for probably close to 10 years & its been great. However I would probably go for the 15/10 connection if you can fit it in your budget.

Cr15
@216.239.68.x

Cr15

Anon

Thanks bryanviper,
actually I just apply this morning for the Teksavy cable 10/1, but you are right, the 15/10 is only 5$ more per months.
I don't really care about the upload, because at work I can upload easely and fast,
are you suggesting that only because of the higher upload or because of a higher general speed/stability?
Do you think until I don't have it I can change plan?

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

In general I have seen less issues with DSL over Cable. Now these issues are mostly due to to many people in the area all using cable at the same time. So there ends up being slow downs and so on.

Of course it will depend on the area some areas are great for cable other areas not so good but I see less issues with DSL.

As for the faster profile I mentioned, The download will be faster which is better for streaming especially if you have more then 1 device using the internet at the same time but also upload helps other things and is good to have. For example video chat like skype and other programs, if you happen to have or get VOIP but also general internet surfing can benefit from faster upload speeds depends on the website of course. Also if in the future you decide to upgrade your internet you will already be on a VDSL line so I dont think a tech will need to come out to your place to do any upgrade however if your going from 10/1 to 15/10 or faster you will need a tech to come out.

If you just put in the order I'm sure you can call in and change it without issue at this point.
said by Cr15 :

Thanks bryanviper,
actually I just apply this morning for the Teksavy cable 10/1, but you are right, the 15/10 is only 5$ more per months.
I don't really care about the upload, because at work I can upload easely and fast,
are you suggesting that only because of the higher upload or because of a higher general speed/stability?
Do you think until I don't have it I can change plan?