uniqs

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

Purchasing an iPhone & Plan Options

I plan on switching providers. At present, I'm with AT&T and I plan on switching to Verizon and using the Verizon Edge option to purchase the iPhone. So, I'm trying to choose how I want to do the switch.

1) Online through Verizon
2) In person at a Verizon store
3) Online through Apple & have the phone shipped to my home
3) Online through Apple & pick up the phone in person at an Apple store

Are there any specific advantages to one option over the others? Also, I plan on purchasing Apple Care. If I don't buy the phone/plan through Apple, can I still purchase Apple Care after the fact? Thanks.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

I purchased Apple Care after the fact, because during my haste on Launch Day I simply forgot about it.

I called them and they did some kind of remote diagnostic and said everything was fine and they asked for a credit card and that was it.
Expand your moderator at work

rod_pod
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT

rod_pod to Tex

Premium Member

to Tex

Re: Purchasing an iPhone & Plan Options

I believe you have 60 days to purchase Apple Care. I bout my new iPhone on 9/13/14 and wanted to purchase Apple Care in December. I was told I could not because it had been to long since I had purchased the phone. I would call Apple and ask them to be sure.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Okay, Apple Care shouldn't be a problem if I go through Verizon, though I'd prefer to do everything through Apple, either online or at the Apple Store.

Can you think of any issues I might encounter acquiring the phone and plan through Apple? In other words, if I go through Verizon, I'm fairly certain I'll know right away what my bill is going to look like every month. I'm not certain I can say the same thing if I go through Apple and I suspect it might take at least a couple of billing cycles before things get ironed out, especially if I'm purchasing the phone through Verizon's Edge plan. Are my concerns valid?

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn

MVM

When I upgraded, I first went to the AT&T store. They sold me on their version of the Edge plan. When I re-ran the numbers when i got home, I realized it was not a good value. I returned everything and went to the Apple store, where they sold me the best plan for my needs. I am saving about $50/month. Based on this, my advice would be to go to the Apple store, but of course, YMMV.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt to Tex

Premium Member

to Tex
said by Tex:

Okay, Apple Care shouldn't be a problem if I go through Verizon, though I'd prefer to do everything through Apple, either online or at the Apple Store.

Can you think of any issues I might encounter acquiring the phone and plan through Apple? In other words, if I go through Verizon, I'm fairly certain I'll know right away what my bill is going to look like every month. I'm not certain I can say the same thing if I go through Apple and I suspect it might take at least a couple of billing cycles before things get ironed out, especially if I'm purchasing the phone through Verizon's Edge plan. Are my concerns valid?

I can't help you there, I'm in Canada and it's done a little different here, in the Apple store you can only purchase unlocked phones without any carrier involvement. If you want a carrier subsidized phone, or sign up with your own phone you must go thru a carrier store or talk to them on the phone.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I purchased Apple Care after the fact, because during my haste on Launch Day I simply forgot about it.

I called them and they did some kind of remote diagnostic and said everything was fine

That scares the crap out of me. The very fact that Apple can reach into your phone....