uniqs
Guru
join:2008-10-01

1 recommendation

Guru

Joke of the Day!

So...

"If Primary DC goes down for power failure, we don't need to put it on UPS"
But Primary DC also hosts, DHCP for two networks and DNS, so part of the network is going to be down.

"Network won't go down because computers are still going to have IP Addresses from the DHCP"
How are the computers going to have IP Addresses when the DHCP server is down?

"DHCP assigns lease for 48 hours, so computers will have internet connection".

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

3 edits

Wily_One

Premium Member

If the Primary DC is the only DNS server, then you'll definitely have problems. (And you also have a poor design.)

The loss of the DHCP server does not instantly take clients off the network. There may be little to no impact for a short server downtime, but it depends on how long the clients have been up and how close they are to renewing their leases. Next to impossible to predict unless all clients always start up simultaneously. If you only have a single DHCP server then a long outage will eventually keep the clients from working.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
Quick go set static IP's on every computer and put the entire internet worth of entries in the hosts files, then you won't need DNS or DHCP. j/k that'd be insane to do.
Guru

Guru to Wily_One

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

If the Primary DC is the only DNS server, then you'll definitely have problems. (And you also have a poor design.)

Second DC is a secondary DNS. The problem is management doesn't want to put either of the servers on UPS...if both servers go down...then? Two networks are going to be down for sure. Network gears, Firewall, switch, controller, AP's will all be on UPS.
Guru

Guru to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Quick go set static IP's on every computer and put the entire internet worth of entries in the hosts files, then you won't need DNS or DHCP. j/k that'd be insane to do.

LMAO.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
said by Guru:

The problem is management doesn't want to put either of the servers on UPS

Well if that's what management wants, that's what management gets, right?

In the next power outage just sit back and enjoy the hilarity.
Guru

Guru

said by Wily_One:

said by Guru:

I've been doing just that for last 8 times we lost power

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

said by Guru:

Layer8 can be a pain. (or is that layer 9?)

Ya just wait for a power outage then watch management scurry to throw money at it.

In my experience management doesn't like to spend till they see the result, thus why QHSE always said their rules were written in blood, people had to get injured or die for management to approve safety rules.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
said by Guru:

said by Wily_One:

said by Guru:

Try to apply something to "help" it be more impactful.

Like oh sorry the server is toast and now management needs to pay for a whole new server or something.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Yup corrupted drives a very real possibility with a sudden loss of power. And oops, the backup never ran either because it has no UPS?
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to Guru

to Guru
You really want the DCs on a UPS to minimize hard power failures and the risk of corrupt disks. Even something that just gives you 10-minutes is far better than having the server cycle for every single power blip.

As for management, you need to speak their language (money). Figure out the cost of a UPS plus batteries every few years, and show it's cheaper than having the domain down for a day and paying you to rebuild it. If it's a file server, show that loosing a days worth of file updates (assuming nightly backups) is more expensive than providing some redundancy.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

2 edits

HELLFIRE to Guru

MVM

to Guru
said by DarkLogix:

said by Guru:

said by Wily_One:

said by Guru:

Layer8 can be a pain. (or is that layer 9?)

...nahh, just go for the highest, Layer 666 problem *LOL*
said by lawsoncl:

and show it's cheaper than having the domain down for a day and paying you to rebuild it.

...danger of that, of course, is PHB takes those numbers as "if this is what it'll save me, I can save even more by also firing the OP AND have enough left over for the annual bonus / deposit in the Caymans account! WINWIN!! [/sarcasm]

...thanks for the little smile on my face Guru See Profile... still amazes me how people manage to convince themselves things will be okay... no matter how many times they go
down in flames.

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

It all depends on the PHB you deal with.
I think I've enjoyed not having a PHB but normally intelligent bosses, but sometimes PHB above them but also generally working around the PHB's.

The current boss's boss approved a 20 seat terminal server license without question (and that's just going to be used for the IT dept) (it was less than $10 per seat)

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Guru

MVM

to Guru
You need to sell them the power conditioning aspect of a UPS. Inform them that a power outage could cause the hardware to fail and the server will be down until that hardware can be replace.

Going hand in hand with that let them know that a server that does not shutdown gracefully has a greater chance of not coming back when power is restored and will need to be restored from back up and X hours of data will be lost.

You need to make them afraid not to have the servers on a UPS. If they continue to be tight with funding make sure that you document that you tried to get the servers on a UPS, so when the worst happens, and it will eventually, you have proof that you tried to protect them.

dscl
join:2001-07-15
Suwanee, GA

dscl to Guru

to Guru
Most management fear losing even a minute of email. Just tell them that if so and so goes down,they might be without email for a couple of hours, then sit back and watch how fast PO's get cut!!

Even if you just want a new microwave in the break room tell them the above.