uniqs

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

[Equip] 8 plus 8 equals 16?

I currently have a TC-8305C gateway in bridge mode. So, I thought I would ask for a 16 channel modem via online chat last week. The CSR says sure, we can do that. I get the package today, and I think wow, this is bigger and heavier than it should be. I open it up, and LO and BEHOLD! I have 2 self-install kits containing one Arris 862G, and another TC-8305C. WTF? Sigh. I suppose I'll be making a phone call in the morning. I saved the chat somewhere... but not where I thought it was.
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

I have no idea why they sent you 2 modems. A CSR is not going to be able to request a specific modem. They simply put in a request for modem and you get what ever the warehouse ships. Since none of the current tiers require a 16 channel modem they have no incentive to make sure you get one. If you really want one you should just purchase a SB6183.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

I asked, and she said she could. She, when I asked what modem I should expect, even said a Cisco Gateway 3 with no prompting. So I thought maybe I got lucky. Bwahaha!

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando

Premium Member

I tried to request a specific modem once on the phone, I was told they are unable to request a specific modem, if your looking for a specific modem, your best option is to go to your local comcast office and ask if they have any in stock.

Unless you need phone I would personally, recomend buying either a sb6183 or SMC D3CM1604, and save the $10/month rental fee.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

I love Comcast, but trying to deal with CSRs on the phone is like talking to a non-English speaking wall, ugh!! I can't buy a 6183 right now, and I do have phone service so I need an EMTA anyway.
WoofieInPC

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

And looking at this month's bill, they charged me TWO shipping fees. Phone CSR won't remove but one, no one on Twitter has replied, and the lady whose phone number I have hasn't replied either. I am NOT paying shipping fees for the wrong item sent.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to saratoga66

Premium Member

to saratoga66
said by saratoga66:

A CSR is not going to be able to request a specific modem.

Another reason BCI is better, when I requested a DPC3939B I got a DPC3939B.
Even though the netgear could have acheved comcasts needs for my service.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by DarkLogix:

Another reason BCI is better, when I requested a DPC3939B I got a DPC3939B.

Meh, i'm on BCI and I was told multiple times by different reps that I could NOT request modems, that I got whatever the install tech had on his truck at the time. As with most everything at Comcast, YMMV....

cableguy4023
@169.152.251.x

cableguy4023

Anon

For BCI try to stay away from the netgear if you do more then surf with it. Have had to swap out many due to its conflict with certain firewalls. Ive been putting in the gateways or the docsis 3 smc. Less headache for the customer.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

said by cableguy4023 :

For BCI try to stay away from the netgear

+1!!!!

The Cisco DPC3939B has been alright as a static IP-enabled wired gateway for me, can't say anything about its wireless performance though.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

I was able to get a $20 credit, so that works. Stuck for the moment with the Touchstone though and no IPV6, which isn't a huge deal, but still. The corporate says "In review of your account, the equipment that is being requested is provided to customers who subscribe to our X1 Platform services." Huh?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by WoofieInPC:

The corporate says "In review of your account, the equipment that is being requested is provided to customers who subscribe to our X1 Platform services." Huh?

Up sell, up sell, up sell...that is the one thing that you can depend on Comcast to do anytime you contact them for any reason.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

Yep, and I'm much happier with my Tivo Roamio and Premier than I was with my month or so with an X1.
whiteblinder
join:2009-02-13

whiteblinder

The only way to get exact equipment is to stop by their cable store or schedule appointment with technician. Cable store almost always will have it available. Technician might not have it available on the truck, but if your work order specifically says Cisco XB3 needed, they usually will work with you as far as supervisor bringing equipment to the tech.
whiteblinder

whiteblinder to WoofieInPC

to WoofieInPC
But honestly 16 channels nice to have, but you will not see any difference in speed, comparing to 8 channels. The biggest advantage is WiFi range and dual band 2.4/5G on XB3

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

1 recommendation

WoofieInPC to whiteblinder

Premium Member

to whiteblinder
I asked at the store when I returned these two, but she was clueless. And I'm aware it won't make any difference speed-wise, however I do miss my IPV6, and at the time I asked, I was between routers and needed the dual-band. I do wish that CSRs would not tell you they can do something which they cannot. You'd think after almost 10 years of Comcast service I'd know that .