All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avze
join:2013-08-19

1 edit

avze

Whats the Best WiFi Home router out there?

I own a small cisco business router (WRVS4400N) and I think its about time to upgrade my router. First off, the firmware on this router is not being constantly posted or updated on Cisco's webpage. The last firmware was back around 3 or more years ago...
Secondly, it only supports 2.4Ghz band and I need the 5Ghz.

So can anyone recommend the best router that's out there?

I looked at the Apple Extreme router and that seems to be one of the best.
But, its setup utility needs to be running OS-X as it does not support Windows PCs. So that's out of the question.

Please guide me here - Thx

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I think the only relevant statement is I need 5ghz.
State the current and projected usage of the router (number of users, if diff segmented groups of users, wifi coverage, location layout wired or not wired, etc etc..... Best depends upon needs assessment.....

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 recommendation

SoonerAl to avze

MVM

to avze
I would start with the SmallNetBuilders router reviews and rankings.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· ter/view

FWIW I bought an ASUS RT-N66R (same router as the RT-N66U but from Best Buy) last year based on the rankings at the time and posts by others here on the BBR site.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to avze

MVM

to avze
said by avze:

I own a small cisco business router (WRVS4400N) and I think its about time to upgrade my router.
So can anyone recommend the best router that's out there?

Which specific functionality do you want to mimic in the replacement wireless router? or put another way -- outside of wireless--which features/capability of the WRVS4400N are important to your needs that must be available in the replacement wireless router?
avze

1 edit

avze

I just need the 5 ghz. And more frequent firmware updates and i dont think Cisco is doing that.

What about Asus AC66U?
Heard thats good too.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd

MVM

How many devices do you want to be able to connect to your new wireless router?

Yes, the Asus AC66U is a good device but for the same price the Netgear R6300 is far better based on my experience's with both or if money is not an issue I would suggest the Netgear R8000.

If you decide to get the Netgear R8000 make sure to get the latest firmware version V1.0.1.16-1.0.74.

If you decide to get the Asus AC66U I would not use the factory firmware, instead I would suggest using factory firmware adapted by RMerlin because its far more stable.
avze

4 edits

avze

Details >>>
Number of users: 1
Number of connected devices: 1 notebook, 2 smartphones.
And I would need to have Wired as well along with Wi-Fi.
But 99.9% of the time I am wired when I am using my notebook.

And what about the Netgear R7500 AC2350?
Is this good as well?
My local PC shop says they don't have the R8000. And they cannot order it for now. And I am in Europe.

All they have and they can order it for me, is the R7500.

What's the difference between the R8000 and the R7500?

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I have no experience with the R7500 so I cannot help you there. I only suggest product that I have experience with.

In view of your updated info I suggest you to get the R6300 if its available in your area --- I have a large number of those installed at client sites and they all love the performance. If the R6300 is not available then the R7000 is also an excellent choice but a bit more expensive.

The R8000 is excellent for situations where you may have more than 20 devices connected and especially good with a large mix of [up to 40] devices.

The R6300 and the R7000 can easily handle up to a mix of 20 devices
avze

avze

They don't have the R6300.
But the R7000 can be ordered by the shop owner. So I guess I will take that.

I hope Netgear (unlike Cisco), hopefully updates their router's firmware more frequently.

Thanks!!!
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to avze

MVM

to avze
said by avze:

The last firmware was back around 3 or more years ago...

said by avze:

Secondly, it only supports 2.4Ghz band and I need the 5Ghz.

said by avze:

its setup utility needs to be running OS-X as it does not support Windows PCs. So that's out of the question.

said by avze:

Number of users: 1
Number of connected devices: 1 notebook, 2 smartphones.

So 5Ghz, Windows support, and updated firmware... with the above # of devices connected wired / wirelessly.

As said before, start flipping through smallnetbuilder's charts, and crossreference with the vendor(s) you like and see when
they last updated the firmware.

Truth to tell, most SOHO gear is designed for a "build once, now get out of my face" kinda mentality.

My 00000010bits

Regards

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline to avze

Premium Member

to avze
I would advise against the AC2350 class routers right now. I spent some time with a pair of RT-AC87U's and ended up taking them back due to stability issues. I read extensively about this model and the R7500, and I can't recommend either one for anybody at the moment. Once the firmware issues are worked out, they may be great models, but not quite yet.

I agree with everything mozerd is saying. I have both an R8000 and an R7000, and both work flawlessly. The R8000 used to have issues with one of the two 5 GHz radios locking up every other week or so, but not once since the latest firmware update. As for the R7000, I don't think it has EVER given me the slightest bit of trouble. The R7000 is a very good bargain.
avze

1 edit

avze

I ordered the R7000.

But where can I download the latest firmware for it?
I want to download it before this router arrives at the shop to pick up.

It must be a good router. Its among the best sellers at Amazon.

Thanks.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by avze:

But where can I download the latest firmware for it?

support.netgear.com/product/R7000

latest firmware Version is 1.0.3.80
avze

1 edit

avze

This might be a great router for performance and range wise, but I don't think it is more secure than my current Cisco router (WRVS4400N). First of all, there was this WPS flaw a few years back and its enabled by default in the R7000.
»Security Flaw Found in Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) [45] comments
»In Netgear routers you can disable WPS

Also it has very poor Firewall features. For example, there is no configuring firewall rules.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by avze:

Also it has very poor Firewall features. For example, there is no configuring firewall rules.

Very early on in this thread I asked YOU
said by mozerd:

which features/capability of the WRVS4400N are important to your needs that must be available in the replacement wireless router?

Perhaps you want to give my original question some serious thought and then come back with a list of needed capabilities plus provide us with how technically capable you are since enterprise products do require significant capability to configure properly -- do you posses that technical capability or will you be relying on others to configure the product for you?
avze

3 edits

avze

Sorry.

Ok, lets start again while I can still cancel my order.

Needed to mention that yes, I wanted the security features that were in the WRVS4400N.
But at the same time, I want the speeds and performance just like the R7000.
Also I need a dual band function too such as the 5Ghz as well. And, of course, I need a router that can update its router firmware more frequently.

The WRVS4400N is not supported by Cisco anymore.

I can just only say that this router lacks security. Period.
Its great for Home users who want to stream music at high WiFi speeds and stuff like that and who do not want to deal with all the security configuration features. I mean its good for people who want the "Set and Forget" option and that's all.

Thanks

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

For Firewall I suggest the ZyWALL 110

For Wireless I suggest a dedicated Access Point -- the Netgear R7000 can be configured as a dedicated Access Point and would work extremely well with the ZyWALL 110Firewall.
avze

avze

Mozerd, thanks for the guidance.
I will stick with the R7000 after all .)
Just need to do a little house cleaning like disabling UPnP, WPS and etc....

Now, does the R7000 have a firewall built into it:

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

2 edits

mozerd

MVM

said by avze:

Now, does the R7000 have a firewall built into it:

The R7000 does not have a Firewall that You would be able to configure. It does have a Firewall that is pre configured for you.

the R7000 is very secure ... and if you have your Windows 7 firewall turned on you have 2 layers of security. The Windows 7 Firewall is VERY configurable but it does take significant expertise to work with should you want a much more granular form of security for your desktop.

You also have the option of using your WRVS4400N as the FIREWALL and Router --- just turn of the wireless Radios .... now configure the R7000 as a dedicated Access point and you can benefit from both. The only disadvantage with the WRVS4400N is the slow WAN port but that may not matter to you if your ISP connection is under 50Mbps.
avze

avze

Thanks. I will do that instead.
Now comes the part onto where i am going to set the other router. Dont know if the R7000 is wall mountable or not.

Other issue is with the Cisco that they do not have firmware support for that model anymore.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to avze

MVM

to avze
said by HELLFIRE:

So 5Ghz, Windows support, and updated firmware... with the above # of devices connected wired / wirelessly.

said by avze:

there is no configuring firewall rules.

...by "configure firewall rules," I presume a "deny any any" from the TRUST and
UNTRUSTED legs, till configured otherwise? May I suggest then going to alt firmwares
like DDWRT and tomato?

My 00000010bits

Regards

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus to avze

Premium Member

to avze
The Asus AC66U is awesome with ddwrt running on it
avze

avze

Click for full size
Well, I got the Nighthawk R7000 (NetGear) and all I have to say, that WOW....A bit of a difference in speed esp. from my Android phones.
And right away, I checked and updated its firmware, so I do have the latest firmware as well.

One question, Is it OK if I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz enabled at the same time on the router like shown from the image?
On my notebook, mostly I use the router as a "wired" device.
And two smartphones as Wi-Fi. So should I leave as it is?

Thanks

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by avze:

One question, Is it OK if I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz enabled at the same time on the router like shown from the image?

Yes it is OK. If you do not have any 2G wireless devices I would turn off the 2G wireless and just leave the 5G active. If your iPhone is version 4 or greater it will work great on the 5G wireless network. Glad you like your R7000 ---- very nice product
avze

avze

Just to confirm >>> Is it OK if I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz enabled at the same time on the router?

Will this cause the router to overheat if I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz enabled at the same time?

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Yes it's OK and no the Router will not overheat. If you have both radios on.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to avze

MVM

to avze
said by avze:

Is it OK if I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz enabled at the same time on the router like shown from the image?

Don't see why not...and if it overheats a) call the vendor and keep an extinguisher handy, and b) you've got bigger problems.

My 00000010bits

Regards
avze

1 edit

avze

Click for full size

Its not overheating.

Although, I noticed something odd with the speeds.
I am getting below 10Mbps, both WiFi and wired.
Before it was showing 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps, and I got speeds at around 13Mbps on my old previous router. But now, its showing 1Gbps instead of 100Mbps. Why?

I don't notice and slowness when browsing the internet or viewing/streaming videos and I do notice a bit of improvement especially from my smartphones. Less Buffering or lets say, no Buffering at all. But according to Speedtest why are my speed results so poor?

I even have WMM QOS enabled as well. Guest network disabled. Disabled UPnP, Remote WAN Management (for security reasons).

Again, when doing basic stuff like surfing the web, streaming videos, I DO NOT notice any slowness at all and no Buffering. So I do not understand.

I also posted this question here below - maybe they have clues onto what's going on.
»VERY Slow speeds on Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router

Thanks

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I have posted on the Netgear Forum.