All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

barrierislan
@76.73.248.x

barrierislan

Anon

magicjack outage

I've had my magic jack plus for about 21/2 years. Yesterday it stopped working. No LEDs on or blinking. Is it an outage that others are also having or is my unit dead. How long are they suppose to last.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

I haven't had any problems with mine in the last few days. If none of the lights are on even though it has power I'm betting it died. I haven't heard any life estimates for them, I've had mine for about 5 years with no problems but I've also heard of people have them fail within six months. They are like most electronic devices in that the failure rate is sporadic.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to barrierislan

to barrierislan
I have the MJ Plus and it is two components, a power supply and the MJ itself. If you're lucky, only the power supply has failed.

I've never plugged the thing into a computer. But, if it is presently connected to the power supply, you could try another power supply or try connecting it to the computer. However, I think it will try to install software if you connect it to the computer.

My Plus lights are flashing even though I disconnected the ethernet cord. So, I think we can rule out a MJ outage.

FixtItQuik
@68.203.10.x

FixtItQuik to barrierislan

Anon

to barrierislan
A few months ago after a thunderstorm, the LEDs on my magicJack+ went dark and I lost all service. I was able to plug the main unit directly into my PC to revive it, but I would lose use of my phone whenever my PC was shut down.

I found numerous vendors on eBay selling low cost replacements for the power plug. I paid $3.32 with free shipping for "USB TRAVEL POWER SUPPLY NO COMPUTER VOIP ANY OUTLET FOR MAGIC JACK PLUS +".

That replacement power supply works perfectly with my magicJack+ and now I'm back in business.