spc
Search similar:

uniqs

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm

[Networking] Anyone here use EC2?

Does anyone else here use Amazon's EC2? My connection to US-East from Pittsburgh, PA is abysmal at best.

My subscription is 75/75.

Uploading to the server, I get about 40 Mbit
Downloading from the server I get about 0.12 Mbit (not a typo)

So far, this is my experience on a micro instance just for testing.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL

Chris123NT

Routing to amazon seems pretty jacked up lately like everything else. My upload speeds to anything have been horrible on 75/75. I speedtest at full speed but at best real world uploads are under 6 mbit.

norm
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

norm

said by Chris123NT:

like everything else

That's been my experience as well. I'm not sure what to try next. Thankfully a lot of businesses are doing hourly billing now so it's not terribly expensive to test the waters. Too bad about Amazon and their connection with Verizon, I really liked their setup.
rlstarry
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
California

2 recommendations

rlstarry to norm

Premium Member

to norm
I have issues getting to Amazon and any services using Amazon Cloud services (Dropbox). I typically use vpnunlimitedapp and my speeds instantly jump to 50+ mbps up and down when hitting amazon servers. For the money Verizon charges us you'd think they would have some better peering.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

2 recommendations

Chris123NT

said by rlstarry:

I have issues getting to Amazon and any services using Amazon Cloud services (Dropbox). I typically use vpnunlimitedapp and my speeds instantly jump to 50+ mbps up and down when hitting amazon servers. For the money Verizon charges us you'd think they would have some better peering.

You would think, but they seem to think that everyone should be paying them, and if they don't they can let the links degrade into danger territory.

norm
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

norm

Click for full size
Attached. So, I'm not sure there's really any good choice to appease Verizon customers that doesn't grenade in the evenings... I was honestly hoping things would get better after the Netflix fiasco but maybe that was just an excuse for all of the other issues.