uniqs

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Re: Strange Roofing Contractor behavior.

I did get three. His quote was the middle quote.

The more experienced company [35 years in business] was the high quote. They wanted around 7k.

The guy I picked was the middle quote. He originally came in at about 6,700.
The low quote was for around 5,800. I told the middle guy if he would match the low quote, we'd go with him. So he did, and we selected him.
As he has been in business for 5 years and had a BBB rating of A-. The other two companies had an A and an A+ BBB rating. So we figured it was a decent deal.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I don't find the mess acceptable, but I'm not the type to go running to a lawyer if the fix isn't going to cost me a lot of extra time or cash.
I could replace all 3 wall lights [so they match] for under 100 bucks. Add the price of chalk to that and I may hit 100 bucks. Why pay a lawyer a hundred bucks an hour for such a low cost repair? As for the trash, I can offer the kids 20 bucks to spend 30 minutes picking up the yard. So all togheter I'm out just about 3 hours and 200 bucks. Compared to the money it would cost me to get a lawyer or the hassle of small claims court.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

Duramax08 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

As he has been in business for 5 years and had a BBB rating of A-. The other two companies had an A and an A+ BBB rating. So we figured it was a decent deal.

Lol, you really believe in the BBB? That company is a joke.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I refuse to pay for Angie's list. And the BBB is supposedly reliable.

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I don't find the mess acceptable, but I'm not the type to go running to a lawyer if the fix isn't going to cost me a lot of extra time or cash.
I could replace all 3 wall lights [so they match] for under 100 bucks. Add the price of chalk to that and I may hit 100 bucks. Why pay a lawyer a hundred bucks an hour for such a low cost repair? As for the trash, I can offer the kids 20 bucks to spend 30 minutes picking up the yard. So all togheter I'm out just about 3 hours and 200 bucks. Compared to the money it would cost me to get a lawyer or the hassle of small claims court.

This, just get the stuff done. And call the cops and tell them the vehicle is abandoned.

They'll either come take it, and go through the process to keep the truck and sell it themselves, or they should be able to at least point you in the right direction on what to do with it. My guess would be, they'll take it and sell it themselves, for the cost of a tow, thats good money for the department!

And the BBB is not reliable at all. It is a business, so if you pay, you get an A!
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
Park the truck on the side of the street with a white rag hanging out the window and report it abandoned....

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

2 recommendations

Lurch77 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

And the BBB is supposedly reliable.

At one time it was. More recently it is suspect at best, corrupt at worst. And if you are not aware, they are an independant business/organization that is not affiliated with the government, despite the word "Bureau" in their name that confuses many into thinking so. »www.slate.com/articles/b ··· dog.html

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to davidg

Premium Member

to davidg
said by davidg:

I agree fully that this was a case of picking the wrong contractor. probably the low bid, though you sometimes see it from once good companies that are on the brink and go under right around the time of the job.

As part of my day job, I have to examine the financials of the competitive bidding companies for the three years previous to the bid date. I learned this...

There are two kinds of companies going out of business...those who didn't get the job, and those that did.
John Galt6

1 recommendation

John Galt6 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Did you get lien releases for all of the materials and labor before you made your final payment?

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites to Snakeoil

Anon

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

we mailed him our last payment for the job. We figured by doing that, we'd have more legal standing if we took him to court.

this could both ways not paying him that could get a mechanic's lien placed on the house.
But paying him he could sue blaming the author and get additional monies .

I would talk with the sheriff or attorney and see what you can do even tow him.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
First: Do NOT sign the completion certificate.

Second. I'd be talking to your lawyer at this point. It sounds like the contractor didn't have worker's comp insurance and is possibly going to make you pay for his possibly non-existent injuries.

I'd go ahead and call the cops and have the truck towed at owners expense. It's your property, since they are no longer working on your house they are no longer authorized to have the vehicle there. Usually if it's in the street they'll put an abandoned sticker on it giving 72 hours to move it but since it's on your property they may tow it immediately.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Snakeoil

Mod

to Snakeoil
I don't see what it hurts to give a little more time. It sounds like you are happy with the job for the most part.

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites to Snakeoil

Anon

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I'm curious as to why a contractor would "abandoned" an expensive piece of equipment like the dump truck. It look like it's a F350 or F550. My wife wants me to call the sheriff and have it towed. Of course we mailed him our last payment for the job. We figured by doing that, we'd have more legal standing if we took him to court.

Sorry couldn't edit my post Anon,
I wonder if he's hiding the truck there because it's up for Repo???

I wouldn't let him on the property without you there,contact the sheriff and have the truck towed.wonder if you can seize the truck for what damage he caused!!

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
Whats that?
Also someone mentioned a punch list, I have no idea what that is either.

It's the first time we hired a contractor, hence the lack of experience with these sort of issues.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

rody_44 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Seems like a lot of conjecture in this thread. Many people dont put the registration sticker on until after it expires if even then. We all get sick. Nobody is going to abandon a f350 dump truck. It just means something happened.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Whats that?

I guess you missed that day...
quote:
You also need to make sure that the contractor has the proper insurance coverage, paid and up-to-date. Check with your state agency. They usually have online access to the list of who is covered and who isn't. Make sure the insurance isn't set to lapse during your project. That includes Workman's Compensation. The owner of the project can be made liable for any wage claims that arise if the worker-bees employer doesn't pay them. Worker falls down, breaks their back. Contractor has no insurance? Guess who gets stuck with the bills? It's a short list...your name is on it, usually at the top.

You need to get lien releases from each and every entity that may have a claim against your project. Contractor buys materials (allegedly) and has them delivered to the job. You see them and pay the contractor. Everything's good, right? Turns out the contractor didn't pay for the materials...he put them on account and then didn't pay that. Who's responsible? You are...the owner of the project where the materials were delivered to and installed. Also turns out the contractor had extra materials delivered to your job, and then took those when you weren't there to another 'side job' he has going. You get to pay for those, too.

Due diligence, friends...do it. Or die.
Continuing...
quote:
I cannot over-emphasize the necessity of making sure you have all of the lien waivers. This is something that can come back and bite you well in the future. Attention to this detail is imperative. The lien waiver states that the supplier or vendor is fully paid, and that no monies are outstanding in any regard for materials or work performed. Once that piece of paper is signed and in your hands, no further claims can be made by that vendor against your project.
»Payment terms with contractors/subs who work on your home

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I guess I did. I didn't even inquire if he was bonded or insured.
I just never thought about it.

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites to Snakeoil

Anon

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Whats that?

It's the first time we hired a contractor, hence the lack of experience with these sort of issues.

Read this it explains liens and what he's talking about
»www.wikipedia.org/wiki/M ··· 27s_lien

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

2 recommendations

John Galt6 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I just never thought about it.

fedintheb
@69.118.94.x

fedintheb to Snakeoil

Anon

to Snakeoil
First off BBB is a joke and to have a A- on BBB screams RUN AWAY.

To quote 6700 then drop to 5800 someone starving for work... or someone who will do a job to a price point rather than doing the job correctly or not at all.

Do not touch the truck, it is not yours if you put it somewhere else you might be liable for anything that happens to it... You could also be charged with stealing it.

A good tow company who knows what is going on can tell you if they can take it... you likely can have it removed. Best bet, call the cops, tell them the story, truck is left, they won't take it... and ask if you can have it towed... they likely will tell you tow it.

Paying them was a mistake... it gave you nothing but less power... guys been paid... who cares now. You gave away your only bargaining chip, and you said it was "only $400" that $400 was your repair money. Odds are they aint going to court over $400 so you would have been better off keeping it...

I too bet the thing is out for repo... repo company will have the owners location, family locations, known places the truck it kept or has been spotted... so your random house is a great place to keep it. Another thing could be the person has no where to park it...

Of course the guy could be telling the truth...

If you know of any local repo company, call them... (or google one) if it is up for repo they would be happy to get it...

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
BBB is "pay to play". It's been proven time and again across the country. They've been under fire for a long time. i do think they are trying to clean up their tactics a little bit and reign in the regional BBB offices. Take anything you see on the BBB with a grain of salt. I've seen awesome contractors with a B-, and total pieces of shit with A+.
Angie's List is probably worth the $15 to join for a month. I've used it before. Same thing with AL, not all the reviews are on the "up and up", but mostly in favor with the consumer (Angie's List is anti-contractor). So If you see a guy with 50 A-B ratings and two F, you can pretty much guess that the two F's are the crazy fucks that will never be satisfied.
The best thing you can do is ask friends, neighbors, and family first. That's where you'll get the most honest responses. Check for proper licensing and insurance. Those should be weighted heavier than any online review site.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to davidg

Premium Member

to davidg
said by davidg:

said by nunya:

The truck doesn't do you any good. It's not your property and you have no legal right to it.

he MAY have an option on the truck if he is willing to take it. In MS after 90 days you can sell it as abandoned property.

Some ranchers down here are using the abandoned vehicles from border crossers cutting thru their fences etc.
They jump thru the hoops to get the title if it wasn't stolen and sell them to help cover costs of all the damage to their properties.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

2 recommendations

nunya to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
Here you go kids - This is the OHIO law:

4513.60 Vehicle left on private residential or private agricultural property without the permission of person having right to possession of property.
(1) The sheriff of a county or chief of police of a municipal corporation, township, or township or joint police district, within the sheriff's or chief's respective territorial jurisdiction, upon complaint of any person adversely affected, may order into storage any motor vehicle, other than an abandoned junk motor vehicle as defined in section 4513.63 of the Revised Code, that has been left on private residential or private agricultural property for at least four hours without the permission of the person having the right to the possession of the property. The sheriff or chief of police, upon complaint of the owner of a repair garage or place of storage, may order into storage any motor vehicle, other than an abandoned junk motor vehicle, that has been left at the garage or place of storage for a longer period than that agreed upon. The place of storage shall be designated by the sheriff or chief of police. When ordering a motor vehicle into storage pursuant to this division, a sheriff or chief of police, whenever possible, shall arrange for the removal of the motor vehicle by a private tow truck operator or towing company. Subject to division (C) of this section, the owner of a motor vehicle that has been removed pursuant to this division may recover the vehicle only in accordance with division (E) of this section.

Call the cops in the morning, and it'll soon be gone.
tinky2
Premium Member
join:2013-12-18
usa

1 recommendation

tinky2 to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
said by joewho:

Saying I live in a fantasy land says more about you than me. I find it no big deal for someone to leave heavy equipment on my property. You must wear a dress to work every day. lol.

Dude, seriously? Jeeze.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

A punch list is a list of issues that need to be corrected prior to final payment being made.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Of course we mailed him our last payment for the job. We figured by doing that, we'd have more legal standing if we took him to court.

Get copies of all of your canceled checks and your contract and place them in a safe place. That way if the contractor files for bankruptcy you will be ready in case the trustee comes after you for payments you have already made. That can happen if the contractor cashed your checks and pocketed the money, without booking the payments.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
This is getting a little out of hand.
Problem is a dump truck sitting in her yard. Either park it on the street or call the cops. Other then that it seems there are just a couple of issues with the work, just clean the place up and finish it off would be the cheapest easiest thing to do.

All this seems minor to me. Who knows the guy may have dropped dead for some reason. It happened to me once. Not much can be done in that case.
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

1 recommendation

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

said by Corehhi:

...Who knows the guy may have dropped dead for some reason. It happened to me once.

Whoa. Glad you made it back over!! What was it like? The Olive Garden?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
said by joewho:

Personally, I would track HIM down and see him in person.

Half the guys in roofing are ex-cons because they can't get work elsewhere. Don't confront him.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
I think nunya is on the money here- personal referrals from trusted friends and relatives who have had work done by a contractor are the way to go. Tough to vet a company/contractor purely through online reviews.

it is still prudent to review the contract, insurance paperwork, licensing, and permitting before a project, and get at least three quotes when possible. But word of mouth from family and relatives is much better than the yellow pages any day.