Search similar:

uniqs

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Sound Card Suggestions?

Hello all,

So I replaced my old motherboard & Cpu & I was using a PCI sound card in there - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum, Which I really like because not only is the sound good but it allowed me to adjust the Bass from my subwoofer so I don't drive my neighbors crazy.

Now I have a new motherboard - Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 - »www.asus.com/Motherboard ··· 7_MARK_1
This has onboard audio which I am currently using & it sounds good however I cannot adjust the bass (in windows sound options OR the Asus realtek software) Also I get no sound coming from my rear speakers (I have a older Logitech 4.1 setup)

I dont mind buying a new sound card like this - »www.ncix.com/detail/crea ··· 2990.htm
However I need to know for sure that I will be able to adjust the Bass level. Or I could even buy a Asus sound card as I hear they are pretty good also however again I need the software to be able to adjust Bass at least but the current Realtek audio software does not allow me to adjust any settings or get my rear speakers to work even after putting it on the different speaker setup options.

Thanks

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I have the Asus Xonar Phoebus, which comes with Dolby software that looks like this:

HappyFrappy
join:2000-10-04
North

HappyFrappy to bryanviper

to bryanviper
Creative Labs hasn't/doesn't want to support many older PCI/early PCIe SB models, they still make decent cards but the whole Daniel spat pushed many diehard customers to use Asus & Turtle Beach audio cards instead. I avoid Creative products at all costs.

In my experience Asus & Turtle Beach have expanded controls, RealTek on the other hand varies from chipset to chipset along with what the OEM revision supports--my Intel Classic Series Board allows bass control(has an equalizer) but my mums' Dell w/RealTek(OEM and RealTek drivers) can't. Oddly even lowly USB audio adapters with 2.1/4.1/5.1/7.1 support allows bass control...

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Thanks guys,

I updated my drivers/software and was able to get an equalizer so I can adjust things.
But I still prefer my Sound Blaster card. Seems like with onboard it only plays from all speakers when the program needs surround sound. My old setup would always place from all speakers.

I may end up getting a PCI-E to Pci adapter so that I can use my old sound card.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
Using "all" speakers is not always "surround sound". Surround audio is determined by the source. All Windows audio, mp3's, and most video is only stereo. Thus you should get audio from the front left/right and sub (ie: stereo audio). If you want fake surround or sound from all speakers, this can be faked by the audio drivers/software or the media player. It can also be affected by the speaker configuration in Windows. I haven't looked in awhile, but there used to be an option for "Quadrophonic" speakers (ie: 4.1 - where the rear is just the same stereo audio channels played by the front speakers).

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Yes you are correct there is an option for Quadrophonic however the sound quality seems to be reduced when this option is selected.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to bryanviper

to bryanviper
said by bryanviper:

I may end up getting a PCI-E to Pci adapter so that I can use my old sound card.

Good luck with that.....

Unless your card is low profile, a "won't fit" it's all but guaranteed.
And even with an LP card, you will probably run into some issues.

If you *really* want to use your PCI card, methinks getting a mobo that still has one PCI slot is probably your best option.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Hmm this is true also... crap lol

May have to actually buy a sound card. The onboard sound is ok. But I have noticed I hear a small pop/static coming out of the speakers every so often when I dont have any music on.

Well I wont be getting a new motherboard since I just bought this one, totally forgot I had an older sound card lol
said by aurgathor:

said by bryanviper:

Good luck with that.....

Unless your card is low profile, a "won't fit" it's all but guaranteed.
And even with an LP card, you will probably run into some issues.

If you *really* want to use your PCI card, methinks getting a mobo that still has one PCI slot is probably your best option.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

If it's less than 30 days old, you can try to get an exchange.

I'm not familiar with recent (mean PCI-e) sound cards, but I'd tend to think that another Creative card could offer the feature(s) you need.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

True, I may be able to return it however I really like it. I rather buy a new creative sound card for $60 then have to pay shipping back to the supplier and rip apart my computer again.

Thanks
said by aurgathor:

If it's less than 30 days old, you can try to get an exchange.

I'm not familiar with recent (mean PCI-e) sound cards, but I'd tend to think that another Creative card could offer the feature(s) you need.