Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

Re: Lawsuit against Apple for storage capacity claims

said by TamaraB:

My problem with the tort is not that XGB is enough or not, or that an OS takes up too much space, but that this situation has existed with all digital devices since the digital age began, and is well understood and accepted.

It's always the way, once the general public shows up.

"A 17-inch diagonal monitor doesn't have a 17-inch display area".

"A 500 GB disk doesn't have 500 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes of storage"

So there's a class-action lawsuit, and everyone dissatisfied with their purchase gets a free coupon worth $2.47 off their next purchase from the company they despise, and the lawyers make off with several million dollars on the backs of the ignorant.

And the product pacakging gets more small print that the purchaser doesn't read.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
It's a shame that Apple still sells 16gb as base device... Yes, they made the jump to 64gb $100 cheaper, but still. Many people who don't know any better buy the base devices, or they are given as gifts, and are crippled down the road because of the limited storage, and as iOS and the apps get bigger, less and less is available, even if you don't store a lot of music on it. Plenty is now taken up by 1080p video recordings and pictures, apps also like to cache a lot of content like social networks. And Apple devices have always been non-expandable, vs some of the competition out there who allow micro-sd expansion.

How much extra can a 32gb ram chip cost vs 16gb? This 150+ billion company is that tight?

As ridiculous as this lawsuit is, i hope they win it. Maybe it will give Apple a kick for next generation and make 32gb base.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

How much extra can a 32gb ram chip cost vs 16gb? This 150+ 641.2 billion company is that tight?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Coma:

said by HiVolt:

How much extra can a 32gb ram chip cost vs 16gb? This 150+ 641.2 billion company is that tight?

I wasnt talking market cap, i think 150B+ is what they have in cash, no?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

Coma

Premium Member

I say To-ma-to, and you say To-ma-to . . .
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
I totally agree that you cannot buy a "blank" iOS device; my point was that the 16 GB figure applies to the device's memory capacity before anything is installed.

By the same logic, when you buy, say, a Seagate 500 GB hard drive in Best Buy, that 500 GB figure is valid for the blank drive, before anything is installed. Once the drive is put into your computer and software is loaded onto it, you will no longer have 500 GB available for future use.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by daveinpoway:

when you buy, say, a Seagate 500 GB hard drive in Best Buy, that 500 GB figure is valid for the blank drive, before anything is installed.

No it's not. See dave See Profile's post above: "A 500 GB disk doesn't have 500 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes of storage"
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

The drive vendors have international standards on their side: G = 1000 x 1000 x 1000. Like many others, I happen to prefer G = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 when dealing with storage, because it's custom and practice in my trade. Technically, though, I am on the losing side of that.

But at the same time, I don't think "customer failure to understand the subject area" is sufficient grounds for a class lawsuit.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

There is now a way to expand your iOS device's memory: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· ohlpGiLs
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Interesting. Looks like the functional equivalent of an Android OTG cable. Very handy little things.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
They're proud of them, too! $400 for a 256GB.

»www.leefco.com/ibridge

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

There is now a way to expand your iOS device's memory: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· ohlpGiLs

It isn't really practical, as everything you do with you must do with the app designed for it.