DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Why Do People Get Cancer? Bad Luck.

»www.cbc.ca/news/health/t ··· .2888125
quote:
Plain old bad luck plays a major role in determining who gets cancer and who does not, according to researchers who found that two-thirds of cancer incidence of various types can be blamed on random mutations and not heredity or risky habits like smoking.

The researchers said on Thursday random DNA mutations accumulating in various parts of the body during ordinary cell division are the prime culprits behind many cancer types.

They looked at 31 cancer types and found that 22 of them, including leukemia and pancreatic, bone, testicular, ovarian and brain cancer, could be explained largely by these random mutations — essentially biological bad luck.

The other nine types, including colorectal cancer, skin cancer known as basal cell carcinoma and smoking-related lung cancer, were more heavily influenced by heredity and environmental factors like risky behaviour or exposure to carcinogens.

Overall, they attributed 65 percent of cancer incidence to random mutations in genes that can drive cancer growth.

JSE
JSEyo
join:2014-05-16
Nova Scotia
·Bell Aliant Fibr..

JSE

DNA? Mutations? Science? Pfft, who needs it. Cancer is because you manifested it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· JGTmkOlU

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Yea, I figured as much without the study just as I'm sure most people assume, since we all know people that smoked and died of old age while we know people that didn't smoke and died of lung cancer.

Certainly the moral isn't 'hey look, it's okay to smoke!' since that leads to plenty of other issues but it's interesting none the same.

I can't wait until we have the technology to determine if my zany regimen of daily pills as a dietary supplement is aiding in my overall good health or if that's genetics too.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
It's not a surprise.

But if 2/3 is beyond our control, then we can still try to work with the other 1/3.

Same with high cholesterol, hypertension, etc.

lugnut
@216.154.74.x

lugnut to DKS

Anon

to DKS
Nice to see that it only took Modern Medical Science 70 years to catch up with plain old fashioned Common Sense.

I'll continue smoking well into my 80's and bury you lot of pink lunged hypochondriacs all along the way
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Just be sure to eat a lot of apples.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

AKA Entropy or "Shit Happens".

yoyomhz
join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz to DKS

to DKS
researchers lie all the time.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by yoyomhz:

researchers lie all the time.

Ad Hominem. When you don't believe the scientific evidence, attack the scientist.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark to DKS

to DKS
Yep, modern tech is now allowing knowledge to supplant old wives tales thanks to the field of genomics. Want to live past 80? Lifestyle is a biggie, but even a puritanical existence precludes it without the right genetic makeup.

Now if only we could manage to bring the big3 cancer killer rates down, which have been essentially flat for 50 years, and have remained remarkably tenacious in the face of a full frontal assault.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
I had to go to a memorial yesterday for someone who was gone less than a month after being formally diagnosed with liver cancer. None of this makes me feel any better.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Gone:

I had to go to a memorial yesterday for someone who was gone less than a month after being formally diagnosed with liver cancer. None of this makes me feel any better.

I bury people all the time who have died from cancer. It's causing me to rethink the way I respond to their question "Why me?"

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Significantly, breast and prostate cancer were not included in this study.

Since these are the most common cancers among women and men respectively, in the absence of any evidence supporting random mutation for those 2 types, the 65% conclusion figure applies only to the cancer types in the study.

The figure as reported is misleading if the qualifier of breast/prostate cancer not studied is omitted...as the CBC headline does. The Star's headline is more accurate.

»www.thestar.com/life/hea ··· ate.html

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

I bury people all the time who have died from cancer. It's causing me to rethink the way I respond to their question "Why me?"

Matthew 5:45. That's at least what my father told me when his own dad died of cancer in his 60s back in the 90s.

yoyomhz
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

"Why me?"

One thing we do know for a fact is that poor people have more health problems than rich people and uneducated people have more health problems than educated people.

And another thing we know for an absolute fact is the grocery stores in the richest areas of N America are much different to those in poor areas - THEY'RE INCREDIBLE. EXPENSIVE. ORGANIC. HEALTHY.

Loads of good stuff here. Organic - but expensive.

Do the rich know something? The food the rich eat is so superior to the food the poor eat, but it's also way more expensive. And we know for an absolute fact, the poor have more health problems than the rich. Here's the funny thing, while the rich people in places like Pasadena and San Jose and West Vancouver (highest income in Canada) are eating super expensive healthy organic food, the media is telling the rest of us poor slobs we could never feed our growing population without GMOs and pesticides. And sales of expensive luxury cars and yachts have nevr been higher.

Why me? Because you're poor.

Throughout USA and Canada there are areas of cities called 'food deserts' where the only grocery store within miles has nothing but cheap unhealthy crap for sale.
Guaranteed to cause health problems. It has nothing to do with luck. Just google cities food deserts and see for yourself.

Does your grocery store look like this? If it does you could be living in a food desert. We know all about how those people have worse health than the rich people.

Why me?

yoyomhz

yoyomhz to DKS

to DKS

We know exactly what's going on in the poorest areas of the country - food deserts.

And it has bugger all to do with luck. Read up on it.
yoyomhz

yoyomhz

The same guys who are trying to persuade us we just have bad luck, are the ones buying that incredibly wonderful high quality food at the 'Whole Foods' and other nice stores across the country for high high prices.

Why me?
yoyomhz

yoyomhz to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

I bury people all the time who have died from cancer.

Now I get it. I'm going to start another thread - why the church can't tell people the absolute truth.
Expand your moderator at work

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Re: Why Do People Get Cancer? Bad Luck.

which is effectively evolution at work. Evolution is driven by genetic mutation, not all of which is "good" mutation. The "bad" mutation results in things like cancer, but over time, some mutations will occur that will not end in cancer and over a very very long time result in the evolutionary process of our species.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini to DKS

to DKS
Why do so many North American white kids get leukemia? Go to any hospital and close to 95% of all patients in the leukemia rooms are white kids. Leukemia in children is unknown of in Africa, Asia and South America.

There's definitely something wrong in the food, water or the environemnt that produces leukemia here in North America.

yoyomhz
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Why do so many North American white kids get leukemia?

bad luck?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by DKS:

Matthew 5:45. That's at least what my father told me when his own dad died of cancer in his 60s back in the 90s.

There is some truth to that.
DKS

DKS to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz
said by yoyomhz:

said by DKS:

"Why me?"

One thing we do know for a fact is that poor people have more health problems than rich people and uneducated people have more health problems than educated people.

Yes, but not because of the reasons you state. They simply do not have enough. Period.
Expand your moderator at work
DKS

DKS to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz

Re: Why Do People Get Cancer? Bad Luck.

said by yoyomhz:

We know exactly what's going on in the poorest areas of the country - food deserts.

And it has bugger all to do with luck. Read up on it.

I know all about food deserts. We have used innovative GIS system to map things you can only dream of, including food deserts, and link them to all kinds of things. But they don't cause cancer.
DKS

DKS to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz
said by yoyomhz:

said by DKS:

I bury people all the time who have died from cancer.

Now I get it. I'm going to start another thread - why the church can't tell people the absolute truth.

We do. You just refuse to believe it.
DKS

DKS to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Why do so many North American white kids get leukemia? Go to any hospital and close to 95% of all patients in the leukemia rooms are white kids. Leukemia in children is unknown of in Africa, Asia and South America.

There's definitely something wrong in the food, water or the environemnt that produces leukemia here in North America.

And why do only black kids get certain diseases? You have just proved the theory of genetic mutation.

yoyomhz
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

yoyomhz to DKS

to DKS
What's amazing is when a pastor or preacher tells people they can eat poison and not be harmed by the poison as long as they say a prayer before eating the poison. I wonder if preachers tell people they can avoid cancer just by praying? If it's only luck that causes cancer, if might be a good idea to start praying a lot.