spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DrHudson
join:2014-07-13
Hartsdale, NY

DrHudson

[Networking] Versalink 327W on FiOS?

I have FiOS and Actiontec N router. The set up is working fine, no worries. The issue is though, I have migraine for last 8 years or so, and I have tried everything that I could get my hands on to control it, nothing changed a thing and now it has gotten to the point that it is affecting my job/quality of life. Hence, falling for fringe medicine.

Came across some stuff across some alternative/naturopathic doctors' blogs that one should control their radio waves exposures like cell phone, wi-fi etc. I have absolutely no idea how trustworthy that information is, but as my quality of life is suffering to a great level that I am willing to give a shot to almost everything.

The actiontec router has a very good network coverage and I live in a small apartment. I don't need such coverage, so if I could tone down the signal, that would be good, but I don't see such option. I was considering using friend's old 327W router that is only g-standard, with probably limited range. I wanted to see if that makes any difference at all.

Does anyone have idea if 327W can be used with FiOS. The rear end ports or Actiontec and 327W are different so I am not too sure. Someone may have better ideas.

Many thanks in advance.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

1 recommendation

fcfc2

Sorry for your difficulties. If you want to give this theory a serious try, you might consider turning off the wifi and using either ethernet only or MoCA adapters to provide internet / network, and for phone you could go wired except of course for cell service, but you could have that turned off and forward it to your home number. You could also use hardwired keyboards and mice. Unfortunately, if you use INSSIDER on a windows machine or WifiAnalizer on a android device, you will probably find that in your apartment, most all of your neighbors are using wireless devices which are encroaching into your space. The only way to try to tackle that would be to paint all of your exterior wall and ceiling with "rf" blocking paint, but this is very expensive and not easy to do.
DrHudson
join:2014-07-13
Hartsdale, NY

DrHudson

Thanks fcfc2.

I have certainly considered that and you are right, there are at least 12 networks in my vicinity, but the highest strength of other network is -65dB where as my own stands at -40dB. Even if I could reduce strength of my network to 60s, I would like to see how/if it changes anything.
Since I live in a rental, RF blocking paint is out of question.

I am already using wired stuff for network and mouse etc. My cell phone is one corner of the apartment all day long (I work from home) and rarely use it. WiFi is turned off majority of the times on the phone.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

You are absolutely wating your time and energy worring about wifi. It is complete junk science theory. It is so bad i dont really even want to use the term science in it. We are bathed in NATURAL radio and magnetic all the time. If you are that sure,turn a room into a Faraday cage and live in it.
fcfc2

1 recommendation

fcfc2

Hi,
I think the OP has the time necessary, and although he, you, and I may have doubts about the likelyhood of a successful outcome, he has a condition which has caused him persistent and ongoing suffering and which has eluded "traditional" medical / scientific treatments and cures.
Further, it is interesting to note that many people in Europe either have banned or are trying to ban wifi and cell phones in some schools particularily for the very young.
Another point, "NATURAL" sources of exposure are not what is at issue here, it is the relatively new introduction of many sources of man made signals, which originate from numerous sources and in close proximity to people. The point is that this is a relatively "unnatural" state for human beings.
A further point, many people seem to benefit from treatments they believe in despite "scientific" predictions that they should not.
By the way, painting all his exterior walls and ceiling with "rf" blocking paint which is grounded, effectively turns his home into a type of Faraday cage.
Some hope is better than none.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

said by fcfc2:

By the way, painting all his exterior walls and ceiling with "rf" blocking paint which is grounded, effectively turns his home into a type of Faraday cage.

Unlikely. All it takes is one small area that isn't covered and the RF will get in. Higher frequency signals can get through smaller holes than lower frequency signals.

Take a look at how Faraday cages are constructed, and you see that painting a typical home with RF blocking paint is a waste of time. In particular, pay attention to the gaskets used around doors and filters placed on all wires passing through the cage's walls.

There is a reason why Faraday cages are very expensive and not just some drywall with "magic" paint on them.

Good Luck.
fcfc2

1 edit

fcfc2

Well, you certainly know your Faraday cages. I am glad there are knowledgable folks like you here to help others.....run with tangents. The focus of the OP's post was looking for a little help and support in his effort to "minimize" the amount of rf in his immediate enviroment in a desperate attempt to get some relief from a debilitating ailment. Another poster thought it would "help" by referring to his entire efforts as being based on "junk" science. My thinking is that this post was not particularily helpful, nor accurate. I expressed that in the subsequent post on a number of points without the use of any demeaning terms. The people who manufacture and contractors who install such expensive "magic" paint and the companies who pay to have it applied seem to believe it does something significant to reduce rf signals. My reference to the "magic" paint as you put it was not a recommendation and the OP has already dismissed it. If my use of a "type of Faraday cage" offended your sensibilities, my apologies, none was intended. Perhaps you can use your
obviously keen mind and knowledge base to offer some help to the OP.

JoieD
@108.34.219.x

JoieD to DrHudson

Anon

to DrHudson
said by DrHudson:

Does anyone have idea if 327W can be used with FiOS.

The 327W is a ADSL modem/router combo. I looked briefly at a manual and did not see a clear indication it can be modified, however, if you were reasonably inclined to experiment, the 327W appears to have a similar configuration system to older Actiontec routers.

Consider keeping your Actontec as primary router, but disable its wireless, and attempt to connect the 327W as secondary off the Actiontec in a similar fashion as outlined here. »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

On another note, the strength of RF energy diminishes by the square of the distance. Consider leaving energized equipment as far away as possible when not actually being used. For instance, if you sleep 8 hours in the bedroom and all your electronics are in the livingroom, that may help. As a migraine sufferer, I know different triggers are not universal for everyone, so I understand seeking some relief running out of options.

Have you ever been in a new environment for a while where you got quick relief from migraine which returned when you went back home? These days RF and wireless are ubiquitous and near impossibleto escape it.