All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AndyD2k
join:2003-01-10
New York, NY

AndyD2k

[Internet] How do I know if I can use a Moca adapter?

I'd like to try to improve connectivity in my brother's home and thinking a moca adapter may be the way to go. I really just need to address it for one room and was thinking powerline adapters till I saw some mentions online about using a Moca adapter with a Brighthouse network setup.

But is it possible to use a Moca adapter? I know for Fios to work, I need to use their router / modem to be able to use the Moca adapter elsewhere in my apartment. Not sure if there is a specific setup etc needed.

This is the modem he's set up with...

»www.ubeeinteractive.com/ ··· -gateway

Ubee Dvw3201b
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

The Ubee does not support MoCA. He will either need to upgrade to Echo or he can bring his own MoCA setup which would connect to the one of the switch ports on the Ubee.
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

bighorn1 to AndyD2k

Premium Member

to AndyD2k
Ubee Dvw3201b - ethernet - MoCA adapt. - coax - MoCA adapt. - ethernet - device
AndyD2k
New York, NY

AndyD2k

Ok thanks guys. I'll likely just go the powerline route then if switching to a different router doesn't help

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL to AndyD2k

to AndyD2k
Consider running an Ethernet cable from the modem to another point in the home and put an access point on the other end of it. Closets & attic space are your friend...
AndyD2k
New York, NY

AndyD2k

Yeah, I suggested doing something like that but he didn't sound like he wanted to drill holes into the walls to get a cable to come through. I bought a Powerline / wireless adapter set to see if it helps my nephew's connection in my sister's house. If that works out well, likely will just get the same thing.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by AndyD2k:

Yeah, I suggested doing something like that but he didn't sound like he wanted to drill holes into the walls to get a cable to come through. I bought a Powerline / wireless adapter set to see if it helps my nephew's connection in my sister's house. If that works out well, likely will just get the same thing.

Just keep in mind that if the home's wiring is older or depending on other conditions, the powerline adapters can be significantly slower than MoCA.