spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sphen13
join:2002-12-15
Milford, CT

sphen13

[OOL] bring your own modem?

just reviving this question as i havent seen any activity on this for a few years... now with the monthly rental fees etc -- if i bought a docsis3 odem or had one and wanted to sign up for service do you think they would allow me? or do you think they would give me a hard time? i feel like they are trying to put optimum wifi etc in everyones homes as it is and then asking us to pay for it... i just want simple internet and get rid of frontier...

any experience?

thanks in advance!
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Cablevision's list of compatible modems

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to sphen13

to sphen13
What is the status of OOL modem rental fees? There was an article about Cablevision modem fees posted on the main news a few weeks ago that disappeared after an hour or two. I have heard no further word and my bill shows no modem fee (which it should not as I will explain).

I bought my modem back in 2001 from The Wiz. It was an SB4100 but I was requested to swap it several years ago for an SB5100 which I still have. At the time I told them I own the SB4100 and I was told I own the new modem (I have kept the paperwork trail showing the original purchase and the swap). As I do not use OV or have service beyond 18/5 I have had no need to upgrade to a newer modem.
sphen13
Milford, CT

sphen13

oh! i guess i just figured like everyone else that optimum would be charging a modem rental fee... maybe not?

pa prowler
join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
·Optimum Online

pa prowler to sphen13

to sphen13
I recall seeing posted awhile back that OOL would be charging a $4.95/mo. modem fee to new subscribers, but that current OOL subscribers would be grandfathered.

I don't know what would happen if one changed their current service tier, or needed to swap out their existing modem for a new one. Personally I would just buy a modem if faced with the fee. At nearly 5.00/mo. it would pay for itself in a relatively short time span.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to sphen13

Anon

to sphen13
Go to Cablevision's "pricing and packages" page, select OOL, and you'll see the $4.95/month rental fee. Pay-back time for purchasing your own modem would be about 18 months.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to sphen13

to sphen13
said by sphen13:

i feel like they are trying to put optimum wifi etc in everyones homes

This is unrelated to the modem. That is provided by the free smart router, not the modem.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to tired_runner

MVM

to tired_runner
Is it just me, or has CV just reduced their compatibility list to include *Only* the Telephony (Voice)-capable modem versions...?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

That's not really a list of compatible modems
It is just a list of widely used modems by Cablevision
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to sphen13

to sphen13
I have received no notice of a modem fee. The only thing that I saw that was charging a modem fee was the new economy internet package they are trying in a couple of systems.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to Tursiops_G

Premium Member

to Tursiops_G
said by Tursiops_G:

Is it just me, or has CV just reduced their compatibility list to include *Only* the Telephony (Voice)-capable modem versions...?

Consider yourself lucky they're not spewing compatibility BS as a reason not to allow BYOD.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

said by tired_runner:

Consider yourself lucky they're not spewing compatibility BS as a reason not to allow BYOD.

They're getting pretty close to that now... Only the 2 Arris voice models are listed as BYOD:

Arris TM804G (Hard to find, AFAIK.)
Arris TM822G ($159 on Amazon, ATM)

The rest are not:
Motorola SBV6220*
Cisco DPQ3212*
Cisco DPQ3925**
* Available for use by customers that use an Optimum-provided modem only.
** Cisco DPQ3925 available for use by Business customers that use an Optimum-provided modem only.

They USED to show several supported DOCSIS 3.0 Non-Voice models (for those that just wanted Internet-Only service)... Including the Motorola SB6141 8x4 ($89 at most retailers)... I'll bet that they are in fact STILL supported, and this 'omission' is just another way for them to maximize their Modem Rentals...

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

1 edit

andrewc2

This is their actual compatible list which only adds the Arris 802G »optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· kw/modem But I'm sure any DOCSIS 3 modem would be compatible.

I contacted support via chat and they gave me this link »www.arrismodemsitecsc.com/ $99 isn't bad for the 822G.

They also gave this information regarding the modem fee »optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· 832/onet

The modem rental has been discussed before, it is for new customers and those on the 5/1 plan only. »Q3 Earnings Call - Internet Basics + modem fee + Health Checks

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to sphen13

to sphen13
Never been charged a modem rental fee. I buy my own router. Opt wifi is on their router, not modem.
sonofdragon
Premium Member
join:2012-06-28
Newark, NJ

sonofdragon to sphen13

Premium Member

to sphen13
Just contacted Optimum Customer Service Representative, all new subscriber after November 17, 2014 will be charged $4.95 modem rental fee if you use Optimum-provided modem.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to andrewc2

Anon

to andrewc2
Would you trust arrismodemsitecsc . com? Site has no mailing address, no shipping information, no return information, no sales tax information, and was registered only 6 weeks ago.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to sphen13

to sphen13
Just exchange the word "compatible" with "supported" and you should be fine. DOCSIS is a standard, so if a modem fits the standard I can't imagine it won't work. But you definitely won't get firmware updates from OOL if it doesn't match a supported version.
sphen13
Milford, CT

sphen13

thanks for all of this guys! answers my question..

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to Boooost

to Boooost
I would because it's provided by optimum both via chat and on their customer help page, specifically for purchasing a modem.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost

Anon

said by andrewc2:

I would because it's provided by optimum both via chat and on their customer help page, specifically for purchasing a modem.

I agree, but my point is that the site has all the characteristics of an untrustworthy site. If you posted the URL in the Security Forum, they'd tell you to stay away from the site.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

said by Boooost :

said by andrewc2:

I agree, but my point is that the site has all the characteristics of an untrustworthy site. If you posted the URL in the Security Forum, they'd tell you to stay away from the site.

I know nothing about the site first-hand, however the registration seems to be just after when the modem fee started.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to sonofdragon

to sonofdragon
said by sonofdragon:

Just contacted Optimum Customer Service Representative, all new subscriber after November 17, 2014 will be charged $4.95 modem rental fee if you use Optimum-provided modem.

Well if that is the case then all of us can expect a modem fee some time later this year. All of the last "new subscriber only" rates and packages have been forced upon all of us eventually.
I'm talking about the changes to Silver and Gold with the on demand additions and the price increases for the Sports Pak and MRDVR.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Yeah that's my guess, eventually everyone will be paying modem fee. When that happens I cancel voice and buy my own 8x4 with wifi modem.
JDCMAN
join:2006-02-23
Somers, NY

JDCMAN

I hear that Time Warner Cable gives you a modem with voice-only service for free if you have their Phone service, but bring your own modem for the internet (about to find out, as they have raised the modem rental fee to an absurd $8/mo).

I would be curious to see if CV does the same thing, because while the QoS (separate bandwidth on the modem level not affected by internet traffic) on cable operator provided VoIP is nice, there are options that are substantially cheaper if they want to make it $40/mo+ for phone service once you account for equipment rental.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost

Anon

No monthly modem fee for FIOS.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by Boooost :

Just a monthly router fee instead.

Dolansux
@173.3.224.x

Dolansux

Anon

said by UofMiamiGrad:

said by Boooost :

You can purchase your own FiOS compatible router with Verizon if you wish
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

1 recommendation

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by Dolansux :

said by UofMiamiGrad:

said by Boooost :

You can purchase your own FiOS compatible router with Verizon if you wish

And you can purchase your own cable modem for Cablevision if you wish!
dudeman456
join:2005-04-29
New York, NY

dudeman456 to Boooost

to Boooost
No Tri-State WIFI coverage either.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

Correct.

Instead, the fee is called Router fee. And it's a disgusting $8 per month, unless you visit fleaBay and pick one up. And hope the Verizon tech doesn't try blaming your device for failed service activation.

And yes... Verizon FiOS provides virtually no Wifi coverage at all, unlike Cablevision.