spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cyclone_z
join:2006-06-19
Ames, IA

cyclone_z

help convert 1142N to autonomous

I purchased a used 1142N that came set up with the lightweight firmware. I want to make it autonomous. I have a w7 firmware image, and I followed some instructions on holding the mode button while applying power to get it to download a tftp image.

I have tftp set up on a Linux (Ubuntu) machine. I named the file c1140-k9w7-tar.default as the post suggested. The 1142 starts downloading the image, but it doesn't seem to take very long (wondering if it's quitting before it's finished). It says it's extracting the archive file, and then gives an error saying premature end of file.

I have tried multiple times without success.

Can anyone help?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Try a different TFTP server, I recall some aren't good at large files.

also I know on my 1262N it kept resetting it's IP so I had to be fast about set an IP then start the file transfer.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

»supportforums.cisco.com/ ··· omous-ap
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to cyclone_z

to cyclone_z
said by cyclone_z:

I have tftp set up on a Linux (Ubuntu) machine. I named the file c1140-k9w7-tar.default as the post suggested

Without dhcp the ap defaults to 10.0.0.1
Set the tftp to be in the same subnet.
cyclone_z
Ames, IA

cyclone_z

Thank you for all your suggestions. No success yet. Tonight I was trying the OS X tftp server and ended up getting timed out messages. Still doesn't seem like it's downloading the whole thing. Tried getting it to load from the lightweight IOS (not holding the mode button and following these instructions:
»mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/ ··· version/

and timeout there too. No firewall.

Will try more troubleshooting steps tomorrow night.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Try the solarwinds TFTP server.
Also I didn't try it but is it able to do FTP while in recovery mode? or in the LW IOS?
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

TFTPD32 is the TFTP server of choice for Cisco gear usually. Yes I know SolarWinds is a Cisco tool but even Cisco's own documentation suggests TFTPD32 (or TFTPD64 for us 64 bit O/S users). I use it all the time and it never misses.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Interesting, back in the classes I took (in 2004) the docs had said solarwinds.

I'll keep that in mind.
cyclone_z
Ames, IA

cyclone_z

Well I got out my windows machine and tried tftpd64 and it's working so far (not done yet). I can't figure out why this should work while the other tftp server doesn't.

Tftp as far as I know is a standardized protocol. The only hypothesis I have so far is that it's a timeout error with the tftp server. I'm thinking that because of how slowly this is downloading the file. It's downloading little by little and expanding. I assume that is due to the very limited flash on the Aironet.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to cyclone_z

MVM

to cyclone_z
i've never had good luck with temporary tftp servers in linux. i like something i can start/stop relatively easy. tftp-gui isnt bad -- but i keep tftpd32 in a windows xp vm on all of my linux boxen for just this reason. its easy and i'm lazy.

q.
cyclone_z
Ames, IA

cyclone_z

It has finished successfully.

I just found one called opentftpd that works on all flavor of unix. Going to try it out later and report back. Seems better than the built in DARPA one. Easy enough to try.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cyclone_z

Premium Member

to cyclone_z
said by cyclone_z:

Well I got out my windows machine and tried tftpd64 and it's working so far (not done yet). I can't figure out why this should work while the other tftp server doesn't.

Tftp as far as I know is a standardized protocol. The only hypothesis I have so far is that it's a timeout error with the tftp server. I'm thinking that because of how slowly this is downloading the file. It's downloading little by little and expanding. I assume that is due to the very limited flash on the Aironet.

Well I know way back even the solarwinds one used to have an issue with large files but then they did something to fix that, but as TFTP is UDP based some TFTP servers have issues with large files when they don't copy in a set window.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to cyclone_z

Premium Member

to cyclone_z
It's an issue of block size and the maximum number of blocks. Older tftp software doesn't support changing the block size and will fail at 16MB. Any modern linux distro shouldn't have that problem. 3rd party windows apps, who knows. (I use pumpkin, and tftp32/64 when I need the bells.)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

When possible I just use FTP instead of tftp as FTP is TCP based so it shouldn't have those issues.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to cyclone_z

Premium Member

to cyclone_z
I've always had issues using Cisco TFTP for large files. I prefer using an FTP daemon instead.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Or a USB stick. *grin*

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by cramer:

Or a USB stick. *grin*

Well on the newer stuff ya.

I wonder on the newer stuff with the USB console port (I hear its really a usb to serial) can you do really high baud ie xmodem?
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Haven't managed to get the USB console to work on anything yet. Tried 2960X and 2901 platforms but no joy.
cyclone_z
Ames, IA

cyclone_z

I downloaded and compiled opentftpd on Mac OS X v. 10.10.1 (Yosemite). If you're running Linux, there's a binary all ready to go.

It was really easy to set up. I made two minor changes to the .ini config file and then ran it with
sudo ./opentftpd -v -i ./opentftp.ini

I tried it with the Aironet the same way as before and it worked fine. It went a lot faster than with tftpd64 on Windows. It took 35 minutes with tftp64 on Windows and about 3-4 with opentftpd on OS X. I don't know why that is. But it went all the way through and said it was successful.
cyclone_z

cyclone_z to markysharkey

to markysharkey
I have used USB console successfully on Catalyst 2960 series and 3560 series switches with my Macintosh laptop. On my 3560CG, here's what I get. I plug in the mini USB cable and OS X detects a new USB device.

chriss-macbook-pro-3:tmp Admin$ sudo dmesg | tail
AppleUSBCDCACMData: Version number - 4.2.2b5, Input buffers 8, Output buffers 16
AppleUSBCDC: Version number - 4.2.2b5
chriss-macbook-pro-3:tmp Admin$ ls -l /dev/tty.us*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 17, 38 Jan 9 22:46 /dev/tty.usbmodem1d11

I use screen to do my serial terminal:

chriss-macbook-pro-3:tmp Admin$ screen /dev/tty.usbmodem1d11
C3560-CG>sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C3560C Software (C3560c405ex-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)EX2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: »www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 18-May-11 15:35 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x02800000

It shows up as a USB to serial converter and works like a regular serial console. It doesn't seem much faster than typical serial ports.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by cyclone_z:

It shows up as a USB to serial converter and works like a regular serial console. It doesn't seem much faster than typical serial ports.

Is it baud rate change friendly?

I know my Bluetooth to serial adapter is a bit less friendly to baud rate change.

and if you do xmodem you want to change the rate to the highest you can. (I think once I changed it to something over 500,000 but that was on a real serial port.)

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to cyclone_z

MVM

to cyclone_z
Have you tried connecting at a higher speed?

e.g.

screen /dev/tty.usbmodem1d11 57600

That would be a little bad ass.
cyclone_z
Ames, IA

cyclone_z

said by TomS_:

screen /dev/tty.usbmodem1d11 57600

Didn't work. From this document, it looks like you have to go into the rommon and change it there.

»www.cisco.com/c/en/us/su ··· ric.html

I may try that later since it would be nice to have faster console output.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

You have to change it in both the device and the terminal app.

also from recently doing it on a switch if you change it in rommon then that seems to take precedence over the line con 0 speed setting.
cyclone_z
Ames, IA

cyclone_z

I tried setting speed 115200 in line con 0 and it worked fine at 115200 with the USB console. Then again, it also works fine with a USB to serial adapter on the switch's serial console port. It is nice to have a faster speed for console access.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Cool, some USB to serial adapters work at higher speed some don't

You ever go beyond 115200?