dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
montypython
join:2008-10-01

montypython

[CATV] My SA 8300HD just ate the last 7 days of recordings!

Was watching a recording today when the box simply rebooted - when it came back up, everything recorded after Dec 26 had gone. Checking further, I found that the all future recordings programmed in after that date had also disappeared from the schedule & that anything deleted since the 26th had reappeared in the recorded list. In short, the DVR has time traveled back a week - it appears to have reverted to an earlier state.

I looked at the lost & found section to see if the missing recordings had ended up in there & manually rebooted to see if that might help, but no joy for either.

The box updated itself over to the Rovi software in November (it was running SARA) & seemed to be behaving itself pretty much as usual, except perhaps for a couple of recordings that stopped short (which I put down to low space on the internal HDD - I have a larger external HDD on the SATA port).

Anyone else run into this behavior on a Rovi 8300HD before? Are there any known tricks to try to get the lost recordings back?

Anonguy
@68.106.20.x

Anonguy

Anon

Sounds like a failing Hard Drive. The 8300HD is and older modem and may have an aging HD in it. Have you had that box for a while?
montypython

montypython

said by Anonguy :

Sounds like a failing Hard Drive. The 8300HD is and older modem and may have an aging HD in it. Have you had that box for a while?

Yeah, best part of a decade! (installed new in 06)

Having said that, it's been very reliable in all that time, which is one of the reasons I've resisted any temptation to change it (the others been no compelling need & the fact that it was a known quantity as regards external HDD support).

Whilst accepting the possibility of the internal HDD being a cause, it's not exhibiting any of the obvious signs of impending doom (clicking noises, recordings hanging on playback) that I have heard/seen previously when an earlier external HDD that was hooked up started to die. The reverting back a week is behavior I've not seen previously - I'm guessing that that the recordings table of contents data was corrupted & the box reverted to a backup, but that's merely supposition on my part.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I would love to install a 3TB hard drive into one.
montypython

montypython

said by jchambers28:

I would love to install a 3TB hard drive into one.

The largest external HDD I was ever able to get to work was 1TB, though I vaguely remember some reports of folks getting a 2TB to work - these boxes are quite picky about which external case chipsets & which HDDs they'll play nicely with.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

carcker open and replace the drive.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

said by jchambers28:

carcker open and replace the drive.

That won't work on a SA 8300HD,

Get a new DVR, Rovi or Contour

or better yet get a TiVo Roamio 4 Tuner basic, or 6 Tuner Roamio Plus or Pro and a $2/mo CableCARD and Tuning Adapter from Cox.

Spread out over about 24-36mos the TiVo is the much better deal and overall user experience.
Send me a PM if you want a bargain price on a new Roamio Plus or Pro. Or just search ebay for TiVo Promo Discount Sale Service.