uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

Re: 102 cans of beer, two five-litre boxes of wine and two bottles of rum.

said by peterboro:

Lets say you were accused of something (like lets say urban got mouthy once to often and you bitch slapped him )and they sent this twit to investigate. Would you be comfortable with her as the investigating officer with the ability to have you locked up for several days without bail and having to pay thousands for a lawyer even if you were innocent?

Considering some of the things NRPS officers are alleged to have done and are still serving the public in their capacity as sworn police officers, if this was the worst thing she or any other cop has done I wouldn't be all too concerned. There are far far worse things cops get away with all the time compared to what she did and most people are simply too ignorant to know about any of it.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned)

Her superiors knew. Are you comfortable if her superiors kept her on and your fate was in her hands?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Was she actually convicted of a criminal offence? I see lots of talk about a "crime" but the article makes no mention of criminal charges.

I'd have to re-read both that article and my original post but I was probably using 'crime' in the loosest sense of the English language rather than a technical charge and you could interchange that with 'doing wrong', 'offense', 'crime', 'misconduct', 'smuggling', etc.
said by Gone:

There are far far worse things cops get away with all the time compared to what she did and most people are simply too ignorant to know about any of it.

Very true... and I think much of what some get away on their own time is unfortunate (ie. drinking and driving, stalking, excessive violence, etc.) and at the same time getting a pass on some infractions can be personally beneficial. If I had to choose between them always walking the straight and narrow if it meant they'd no longer play ball in ways that we'd prefer, I'd choose the morally responsible path.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well, it's easy to say you'd want it one way, until it bites you in the ass. Hindsight is always 20/20. Now don't get me wrong - there are serious infractions and allegations that police get away with all the time that I find reprehensible, particularly concerning excessive force and violence. It seems rather misplaced to fire someone who didn't declare four cases of beer and then lipped off to the CBSA officer about it, when we have cops who beat their wives or seriously assault people at the bar or in their homes and those people are still serving as cops today.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

You're displacing a bit of ignorance on a few things, so let's clear those up first:

1. There is no exemption for short trips. Period.
2. There is no hard limit on what you can bring back, either. It just needs to be of a quantity considered for personal use and you need to pay tax and markup.

The amount she brought back was peanuts. Equivalent to a bit more than four cases of beer. Since when is four cases of beer "stunning" ? I've brought back more than that and been waved through without even being sent in to pay any tax.

Lucky. I wish the CBSA in Sault Ste Marie was that lenient.....my self and my friend brought back a 12 each and they hauled us in....I let them have it because it was going to end up being twice the price....

As gone has said there is no hard and fast rule....

There is probably more to the story though...maybe this happened before?

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by AppleGuy:

It does show just how bad the laws in Ontario are though, that an officer can continue to receive checks for such a long time after being fired.

The same is true in any occupation. Generally, one is moved to different duties and continues to be paid until the matter is settled legally and professionally. Innocent until proven guilty, remember?

Only in the public sector AND only if unionized. And 4 years is an awfully long time. There is no doubt she DID what they said she did. She's upset that she was caught and fired for not behaving like the way an officer of the law is expected to behave.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

And with the exception of companies that want to find themselves on the bad end of a lawsuit, it happens in the private sector, too. Just not the same way.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

No, not in the same way. But they'd (ex-employee) wouldn't have the same access to lawyers to help them out.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Do the crime, pass go, collect 400K

Oh good, glad someone addressed that gem from DKS. Hell, I've never seen a circumstance where a private employer suspended an employee with pay for longer than a few days...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy

said by AppleGuy:

said by DKS:

said by AppleGuy:

It does show just how bad the laws in Ontario are though, that an officer can continue to receive checks for such a long time after being fired.

The same is true in any occupation. Generally, one is moved to different duties and continues to be paid until the matter is settled legally and professionally. Innocent until proven guilty, remember?

Only in the public sector AND only if unionized. And 4 years is an awfully long time. There is no doubt she DID what they said she did. She's upset that she was caught and fired for not behaving like the way an officer of the law is expected to behave.

Not true. I work in the private sector and that is how I am treated.
DKS

DKS to Mark

to Mark

Re: Do the crime, pass go, collect 400K

said by Mark:

Oh good, glad someone addressed that gem from DKS. Hell, I've never seen a circumstance where a private employer suspended an employee with pay for longer than a few days...

I have. For up to two years, awaiting legal process. Then professional discipline kicked in. It's absolutely true. Examples, with names (they are already in the public record), if you wish. Copies of the professional discipline clause, as well.
DKS

DKS to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy

said by AppleGuy:

No, not in the same way. But they'd (ex-employee) wouldn't have the same access to lawyers to help them out.

Depends. In a non-union environment, no. In a unionized environment? Probably.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

My guess is that Windsor Police and the CBSA don't have a very good relationship as it is. Neither do the NRPS and the CBSA for that matter. They both try to fuck each other over any way they can whenever they can.

That's really sad to hear.

I've met and talked to a lot of people from all sorts of law enforcement agencies.

While there are certainly rivalries, bureaucratic inefficiencies, silo walls, etc., I don't think there's any desire to deliberately screw each other (except in the pleasurable way).

For US law enforcement agencies, I think that this kind of stuff has gone way down (not totally eliminated, but way down) after 9/11, with the realization that there are worse enemies out there. Having all sorts of joint task forces also helps.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by AppleGuy:

Depends. In a non-union environment, no. In a unionized environment? Probably.

Right, also depends what type of work they do. If you're a unionized bus driver or snowplough operators vs a police officer or paramedic, you know you're going to get better lawyer services with the high ranked jobs.