spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nakedland
join:2002-05-18
Puyallup, WA

nakedland

[Price] New modem pricing

We have Comcast HSI (30 mgs) along with their phone service. Just those 2.
With their recent price changes for modems, I was thinking of buying my own.
Due to the combined service, will our modem have to have a feature to handle phone? We need WiFi too.
And I see on their list docsis 1, docsis 2 and docsis 3. I assume we want 3.

And finally, what are the preferred devices to consider and brands to avoid altogether?
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79

Premium Member

[Price] Re: New modem pricing

You do want docsis 3.

I guess the first question is what is your rental now - and is it working for you (especially the wireless)?

There are 2 basic ways to approach buying. You can get a modem like the Arris TG 862 - which will give you internet - wireless and voice. Or you can get a modem like the Arris 722g (or 822g - technically not ok/on the approved "retail" list" but some people here have reported no problems in terms of getting them activated). These modems will give you internet and voice. And then you'll have to buy a separate wireless router to do the wireless. Most people here prefer the second approach (separate modem and wireless router). Although it's possible that the "all in one" Gateway might suit your needs (especially if you have an "all in one" now and it's working for you). Robyn

nakedland
Puyallup, WA

nakedland

We will be paying $10 a month now to lease. Just figured it was time to buy my own.

Regarding the router part, can that be done using any modem we purchase? And how does a router work if someone is working from home? Let me explain, my wife's company computer has to have a hard wire connection so the modem is placed in her office and then I have a wifi extender downstairs. There is no getting around the required hard wire connection.
I have the list of modems Comcast sent me that I am allowed to buy (according to them). What then would be the best routers to buy? Is setting this all up easy? I'm not the techy pro like you all.
nakedland

nakedland

And the 822G is on the list

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to nakedland

MVM

to nakedland
I prefer the modem and router to be separate units. I recently had my modem die; the replacement was less the half the cost of a full featured RG (if I had been better at research, my replacement would have been closer to $25, instead of $46). My router is more capable than any RG I could buy; didn't need replacement when the modem croaked.

My CPE.

The router can be placed close to the modem. Mine are ~3 1/2 feet apart on a computer desk; router higher than modem. My computer is nearer to the modem, but connected via a patch cord to a nearby switch. All are in a four foot "bubble", so to speak. I can put my left hand on my desktop, and touch my router with my right hand; the modem is in between.

Desk with computer and modem.

The router is on the top shelf of the hutch; left end visible to left of monitor.

nakedland
Puyallup, WA

nakedland

RG??
nakedland

nakedland to NormanS

to NormanS
Do I need Atlas probe from Comcast for doing modem/router set up?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to nakedland

MVM

to nakedland
Residential Gateway. Combines a modem and router in a single device.
NormanS

NormanS to nakedland

MVM

to nakedland
Not at all. I just didn't want to crop the photo, so decided to explain what it was. I got it from replying to the "Help Measure the Internet" thread elsewhere in this forum.

FWIW, the modem is an ADSL2+ modem. Another reason for separate gear; if I were to jump over to Comcast, I could keep the router, and just change the modem from DSL to DOCSIS.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

Never get a Gateway device ever. Here is your only solution.

If you have Comcast Phone and want to keep it:

Put your Gateway device in ‘Full’ Bridge mode and buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.

Telephone modem only, no Gateway? Buy the Arris TM822G and save yourself the $10/month rental fee.

However call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. (EG recommends)

If you do NOT have Comcast Phone or want to get rid of Comcast Phone:

Buy you own modem like the highly acclaimed Zoom 5341J ($70 Amazon) good for the next 5+ years and save the $10/month rental fee. Buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.

Get Ooma Phone Service (Ranked #1 Home Phone service 4 years running, Comcast not in the top 5) for a onetime cost of about $100 and no monthly fees. Now you have full control over your phone with a Community Blacklist with thousands of blocked numbers and your own 256 Personal Phone Blacklist. This will save you $450 per year alone.

Why you never want to bundle Comcast services… ever:

»Review of Comcast XFINITY by wchillman

nakedland
Puyallup, WA

nakedland

Thank you sabre.

We have Comcast phone. It was cheaper to get internet and phone than just internet only. Go figure.
Robyn79
Premium Member

Robyn79 to nakedland

Premium Member

to nakedland
said by nakedland:

We will be paying $10 a month now to lease. Just figured it was time to buy my own.

Regarding the router part, can that be done using any modem we purchase? And how does a router work if someone is working from home? Let me explain, my wife's company computer has to have a hard wire connection so the modem is placed in her office and then I have a wifi extender downstairs. There is no getting around the required hard wire connection.
I have the list of modems Comcast sent me that I am allowed to buy (according to them). What then would be the best routers to buy? Is setting this all up easy? I'm not the techy pro like you all.

I'm not a techie pro either. Like you - I'm learning. What is the modem you're using now - and what is the wifi extender? Is the setup working ok for you?

With voice - you have 2 types of modem options. One that has internet - voice and wireless. And one that only has internet and voice. If you have the former - there's no need to get a router (assuming the wireless works ok for you). If you have the latter - you'll need a wireless router. Note that most (all?) wireless routers have ethernet ports where you can plug things in.

There really aren't many options available in terms of buying voice modems on Comcast's approved list. The Arris 722g (internet and voice) and the Arris 862g (internet and voice and wireless). If you read write-ups here and elsewhere - some people have had success buying and activating the Arris 822g (internet and voice). Some haven't. I've also seen issues regarding equipment that Comcast alleges was stolen. Also - these modems aren't cheap (especially if you buy an extended warranty - they usually come with a 1 year warranty max).

If you get the Arris 722g or similar - you'll have to buy a wireless router. I haven't used one in the past (I've used a rental Gateway). Many of the routers that are highly recommended here are pretty expensive. Overall - it just didn't seem like such a great deal to buy that I would do it to avoid paying $8/$10 a month to rent a Gateway. Your mileage may vary.

Note that as crummy as crummy as Comcast phone support may be - I haven't heard anyone rave about phone support from modem/router manufacturers.

BTW - people who don't have Comcast voice have more options/ less expensive options than customers like us with voice service. Robyn

P.S. Note that the 822g isn't on the approved retail list yet.
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to nakedland

to nakedland
said by nakedland:

Thank you sabre.

We have Comcast phone. It was cheaper to get internet and phone than just internet only. Go figure.

And you are still paying Comcast for the less than stellar performance. I don't want to give Comcast money at all.

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious to nakedland

Premium Member

to nakedland

Re: [Price] New modem pricing

Make sure you call/go to your local Comcast office before buying an eMTA as not all Comcast markets allow the customer to use their own eMTA.

nakedland
Puyallup, WA

nakedland to Robyn79

to Robyn79

Re: [Price] Re: New modem pricing

said by Robyn79:

said by nakedland:

I'm not a techie pro either. Like you - I'm learning. What is the modem you're using now - and what is the wifi extender? Is the setup working ok for you?

With voice - you have 2 types of modem options. One that has internet - voice and wireless. And one that only has internet and voice. If you have the former - there's no need to get a router (assuming the wireless works ok for you). If you have the latter - you'll need a wireless router. Note that most (all?) wireless routers have ethernet ports where you can plug things in.

There really aren't many options available in terms of buying voice modems on Comcast's approved list. The Arris 722g (internet and voice) and the Arris 862g (internet and voice and wireless). If you read write-ups here and elsewhere - some people have had success buying and activating the Arris 822g (internet and voice). Some haven't. I've also seen issues regarding equipment that Comcast alleges was stolen. Also - these modems aren't cheap (especially if you buy an extended warranty - they usually come with a 1 year warranty max).

If you get the Arris 722g or similar - you'll have to buy a wireless router. I haven't used one in the past (I've used a rental Gateway). Many of the routers that are highly recommended here are pretty expensive. Overall - it just didn't seem like such a great deal to buy that I would do it to avoid paying $8/$10 a month to rent a Gateway. Your mileage may vary.

Note that as crummy as crummy as Comcast phone support may be - I haven't heard anyone rave about phone support from modem/router manufacturers.

BTW - people who don't have Comcast voice have more options/ less expensive options than customers like us with voice service. Robyn

P.S. Note that the 822g isn't on the approved retail list yet.

This, »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/, is list Comcast sent me of approved modems. The 822G is on it. That's why I mentioned it earlier. Saw it there

We have the modem that has wifi also.
nakedland

nakedland to sabretooth

to sabretooth
said by sabretooth:

said by nakedland:

Thank you sabre.

And you are still paying Comcast for the less than stellar performance. I don't want to give Comcast money at all.

We're stuck here Sabre. Either Comcast or Centurylink (max speed of 1.5).
When I spoke to Centurylink, the guy praised the "fast speed of 1.5". I said "that's dial up speed" and he went on to inform me it was faster than dial up.
So, comcast was the choice.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp to nakedland

Premium Member

to nakedland
said by nakedland:

This, »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/, is list Comcast sent me of approved modems. The 822G is on it. That's why I mentioned it earlier. Saw it there

Yeah, there's a column for "Retail" in the list that is not checked for the 822G. My understanding is that certain devices are approved for purchase at retail outlets while others aren't. (See the red link for the Cisco XB3 Wireless Gateway in that list, e.g.).

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to nakedland

to nakedland

I saw your post last night and decided to check to see if my region allowed the purchase of eMTAs for my tri-pack service. I sought out CC chat and they did confirm my region was approved to purchase them such as the Arris TM822g. 10 bucks per month now is just too much to lease a modem. It'll pay for it self in 10 months!!
Robyn79
Premium Member

Robyn79 to nakedland

Premium Member

to nakedland

...This, »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/, is list Comcast sent me of approved modems. The 822G is on it. That's why I mentioned it earlier. Saw it there

We have the modem that has wifi also.

The 822 isn't approved for retail sale - only for rental. Although some users have had good luck with it - others haven't. Like this customer who recently wrote in an Amazon review:

"There are several variants of this modem that are specific to different ISP networks. Arris told me that this modem is not supposed to be sold to retail consumers. In short, the model I received is not compatible with my network (Comcast) as I was shipped the variant for Optimum. The part numbers are subtly different: TM822G/CV (optimum) or TM822G/CT (comcast). There is no way to choose which one you want when you purchase and no information from the vendor on Amazon that the unit will only work with a specific ISP...Arris actually recommends Comcast users buy the TG862G/CT retail kit which is available from multiple sources (including Amazon) and designed for retail consumer installs."

It's not something I care to mess around with. YMMV.

When it comes to the TG862 (which I rent) - I saw it in Best Buy over the holidays. It cost $199 plus tax. It only comes with a 1 year warranty. If you got an extended warranty - you're probably talking about a total of close to $250. IOW - it would take you about 2 years to "break even". Moreover - I'd rather deal with rental Comcast equipment (if it breaks - you can exchange it - no questions asked) - than a modem manufacturer or Best Buy.

If you were having some problems with your service - I'd feel differently. But - since your service seems to be ok - if I were you - I'd just stick with the rental. Robyn
Robyn79

Robyn79 to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk

said by YukonHawk:

I saw your post last night and decided to check to see if my region allowed the purchase of eMTAs for my tri-pack service. I sought out CC chat and they did confirm my region was approved to purchase them such as the Arris TM822g. 10 bucks per month now is just too much to lease a modem. It'll pay for it self in 10 months!!

How do you figure 10 months? Unless you're talking about a unit that's used/refurbished or possibly stolen? The cheapest legitimate prices for this unit seem to be about $150-160 these days. Also - someone who wants wireless will have to buy a router too. Robyn

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley to Robyn79

to Robyn79

said by Robyn79:

The 822 isn't approved for retail sale - only for rental. Although some users have had good luck with it - others haven't. Like this customer who recently wrote in an Amazon review:

There are few absolutes when it comes to CC policies since each franchise has their own. That's why you constantly see people here say "check with your local CC office/franchise".
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to Robyn79

to Robyn79

said by Robyn79:

said by YukonHawk:

How do you figure 10 months? Unless you're talking about a unit that's used/refurbished or possibly stolen? The cheapest legitimate prices for this unit seem to be about $150-160 these days. Also - someone who wants wireless will have to buy a router too. Robyn

On sale currently for $95.
»stores.dontleaseyourmode ··· on-more/

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to Robyn79

to Robyn79
said by Robyn79:

People in some of the forums have bought from this site and have had good luck....

Robyn79
Premium Member

Robyn79 to cHarley

Premium Member

to cHarley

said by cHarley:

said by Robyn79:

There are few absolutes when it comes to CC policies since each franchise has their own. That's why you constantly see people here say "check with your local CC office/franchise".

Well - even if you get a straight/correct answer from Comcast - there's the issue the Amazon reviewer ran across (the modem he/she got wasn't the Comcast "flavor"). Other users have had issues buying equipment that isn't on Comcast's approved retail list that Comcast says is stolen - registered to other accounts - etc. Some users have even had issues with equipment on the approved retail list (especially when they paid prices for the equipment that seemed too good to be true - a lot of this "cheap" equipment is stolen).

My husband and I like "turn key" solutions to issues. So we only have 1 neck to strangle if something goes wrong. As bad as it is dealing with Comcast sometimes - it would be worse if we were dealing with Comcast - a modem manufacturer - a router manufacturer - and the vendors who sold us the modem/router.

When it comes to the OP - my attitude is "if it ain't broke". Particularly since the purchase options for voice customers aren't inexpensive. So there's a relatively long break even point. About 2 years more or less. And then - after 2 years - you have to count on the equipment you bought not breaking - not being obsolete - etc.

I went through the same options the OP is talking about now. Not because the modem would cost me $2 more a month - but because I was having problems with my wireless. I wound up solving my major wireless problem in an unexpected way. But - had I not come up with this solution - I wasn't relishing the thought of my purchase alternatives. Robyn

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk

said by YukonHawk:

said by Robyn79:

People in some of the forums have bought from this site and have had good luck....

There have been a lot of complaints about this site (or whatever domain their using this week) that people recieve the equiptment and it turns out it was stolen from comcast and they are unable to get it activated.

»www.complaintslist.com/2 ··· roperty/
maxbrando

maxbrando to nakedland

Premium Member

to nakedland
If you do buy an arris modem/eMTA that was not sold retail do not buy any model that ends in /CT because that means it was stolen from comcast.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to maxbrando

to maxbrando
That too bad...at least there is a 60 return policy if that happens!!!

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando to nakedland

Premium Member

to nakedland
Personally what i recomend that you do is buy a 16x4 modem such as the Motorola/Arris sb6183 or SMC D3CM1604(can be had for roughly half the price of the sb6183) and a seperate eMTA, I purchased my eMTA from this ebay listing.
»www.ebay.com/itm/3215993 ··· IDX%3AIT

I own an SMC D3CM1604 that I purchased from ebay for $65, the cheapest place I have found that carries the It now is.
»www.ptsupply.com/shop/el ··· gle-port

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley to Robyn79

to Robyn79

said by Robyn79:

Well - even if you get a straight/correct answer from Comcast - there's the issue the Amazon reviewer ran across (the modem he/she got wasn't the Comcast "flavor"). Other users have had issues buying equipment that isn't on Comcast's approved retail list that Comcast says is stolen - registered to other accounts - etc. Some users have even had issues with equipment on the approved retail list (especially when they paid prices for the equipment that seemed too good to be true - a lot of this "cheap" equipment is stolen).

And for the most part, that boils down to someone that either didn't do there homework, or was sold a product that was other than as advertised. If you buy from a reputable source, there should be no problem returning an item that's not what it's supposed to be.
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

sabretooth to maxbrando

to maxbrando

said by maxbrando See Profile

There have been a lot of complaints about this site (or whatever domain their using this week) that people recieve the equiptment and it turns out it was stolen from comcast and they are unable to get it activated.

»www.complaintslist.com/2 ··· roperty/
[/bquote :

There have been a lot of Complaints against Comcast too. Doesn't seem to stop anyone.