spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tippy2
join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

tippy2

[Connectivity] Can I purchase a modem that includes VOIP

I am a Comcast xfinity customer and I have TV, Internet & Phone service (Arris -TG862). Prices are increasing rapidly in Chesterfield County VA. I would like to know if anyone has purchase there own Modem that includes phone service. I want to discontinue phone service from Comcast.

thanks in advance.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

If you intend on canceling Comcast Digital Voice you no longer need a Voice Modem.

Purchase a regular modem, the Zoom 5341J is considered to be a very good choice:
»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· 063K4NN6

You will need a router to go with it - for me picking out a router is difficult, Asus generally makes capable performers, the RT-N66U is good if you dont need 802.11AC.

I have the N66U, signal range is good, and the firmware that runs it keeps improving. It would be an improvement over the TG862 gateway which lacks 5ghz Wifi.

So...how will you get phone service after killing CDV (Comcast Digital Voice)?

You need to sign up with a VOIP provider - this can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. You would connect the VOIP device to an ethernet port on your router. Ooma seems to be a popular choice.

I would purchase an OBi100 VOIP DTA and sign up with a VOIP provider. The device would give you the freedom to change telephone providers at will.
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· techn-20

»www.obitalk.com/info/home

Many different VOIP providers offer support for the OBi100.

Keep in mind that sometimes Comcast is cheaper when you bundle all three services than just 2. I found that out when negotiating to get back my promotion price.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to tippy2

to tippy2
Here is what you need.

If you have Comcast Phone and want to keep it:

Put your Gateway device in ‘Full’ Bridge mode and buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.

Telephone modem only, no Gateway? Buy the Arris TM822G and save yourself the $10/month rental fee.

However call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. (EG recommends)

If you do NOT have Comcast Phone or want to get rid of Comcast Phone:

Buy you own modem like the highly acclaimed Zoom 5341J ($70 Amazon) good for the next 5+ years and save the $10/month rental fee. Buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.

Get Ooma Phone Service (Ranked #1 Home Phone service 4 years running, Comcast not in the top 5) for a onetime cost of about $100 and no monthly fees. Now you have full control over your phone with a Community Blacklist with thousands of blocked numbers and your own 256 Personal Phone Blacklist. This will save you $450 per year alone.

Why you never want to bundle Comcast services… ever:

»Review of Comcast XFINITY by wchillman
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79 to tippy2

Premium Member

to tippy2
said by tippy2:

I am a Comcast xfinity customer and I have TV, Internet & Phone service (Arris -TG862). Prices are increasing rapidly in Chesterfield County VA. I would like to know if anyone has purchase there own Modem that includes phone service. I want to discontinue phone service from Comcast.

thanks in advance.

You want a modem with phone service - but not use Comcast? What voice provider do you plan on using? There are others - but - in general - modems are modems - and phone providers are phone providers. Robyn

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

You only need a voice modem if your going to use Comcast's voice service - otherwise a plain modem with a device attached via ethernet to your router that would handle VOIP from another provider.

EnasYorl
Thieves World
join:2001-12-02
West

EnasYorl to tippy2

to tippy2
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net shows what is approved and links to where to purchase.
tippy2
join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

tippy2

I want to thank everyone for the great ideas/suggestions for getting rid of Comcast VOIP.

You all have been very helpful.