Search similar:

uniqs

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to fess

to fess

Re: [Connectivity] What would you do?

Have you done much with the direct forum?

What happened with DSL extreme? Try them again?

If not contact the state contact I gave you earlier. You can either email him or call as his direct number is given there. This HAS to be on their end.

fess
Central Pa
join:2003-10-17
Williamsport, PA

fess to JRave

to JRave
JRave,

No I have not tried talking to Tim. I will try to contact him, thanks. I don't think it is a profile because when the connection tanks there is also static on the phone line during that time.
fess

fess to pjsutton

to pjsutton
Click for full size
pj,

Yes I've been using the direct forums since June. That is how I first got in touch with Executive Appeals.

I still have my order with DSLX pending. Verizon cancelled the first order so DSLX put it in again with a high priority (according to dslnick) but that was Monday so I'm not holding my breath.

Yes I did email the contact you gave to me. Hopefully I'll hear something back today.

Since the techs left yesterday it's been all over the place... Last 20 hours or so

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

fess,
You can try making a complaint with the FCC's new consumer help center, which was created to give communications customers a voice.

»consumercomplaints.fcc.g ··· hc/en-us

I have heard of this new consumer advocate getting results from providers.

For all we know it could have been a fail like this the linemen missed.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Wow, that picture is hideous!

Get the local media involved - WNEP?? Especially since it's about staticy voice service. And yeah, you can definitely complain to the FCC about that- or the PA PUC.

fess
Central Pa
Williamsport, PA

fess to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
Thanks Zenit. I will keep that option in my back pocket.

pj, Dan got back to me. He is going to escalate it up the chain and get techs sent back out next week to continue the search for the trouble.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Anything happen yet?

fess
Central Pa
Williamsport, PA

fess

Nothing yet and to top it all off Verizon told DSLX that I cannot get my second loop installed until February 6th. Looks like DSL customers are the bottom of the barrel after all.
fess

1 recommendation

fess

Dry loop from DSLX is now installed. It's been rock solid over the past 24 hours while my original line continues to have issues. Waiting to hear back from Verizon on Monday

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Great to hear the dry loop works. I think the problem is one of the two following:

- Bad pairs in the cable, by chance the pair assigned for your 2nd dry loop line is still good. The pair hopping game worked out, but VZ did not want to tell you that there are problems with the cable - if this is the case once the rot sets in it wont stop and over time less and less usable pairs will be present in the cable. You eventually run out of pairs to hop to.

Lets hope by then that VZ sells off its ILEC operations to someone who actually replaces broken equipment when you annoy them.

- Bad port/line card on the DSLAM feeding your VZ DSL line causing signal issues. I feel this is most likely the problem, and its something I don't think anyone has even considered yet.

The pains of VZ's aging network are clear, that's for sure. The job of VZ Line Tech in these abandoned non-FIOS markets must be mighty interesting and stressful, trying to make the 20-60 year old telephone plant still work with a lack of supplies to actually perform the job right.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to fess

to fess
Interesting! What are you waiting for them to get back to you about? Why the DSLX line is solid and yours not?? I can't believe that after all of this, they didn't just move you to another pair to begin with...

Also, I guess the February date you were given was wrong??

fess
Central Pa
Williamsport, PA

1 edit

fess

Yes I'm waiting to hear back what they are going to do next to correct the issue with my original line. Since I want to keep/use both. I'm giving them one more week. If they don't correct the issue I'm just going to order another loop from DSLX and then drop the original Verizon circuit all together. I don't need a land line as long as my internet is stable. Going on day 3 with DSLX and haven't had one retrain on that line. On the verizon line I've had 70 in the same span.

I think Nick from DSLX got the order push through. He wasn't too happy with the way Verizon handled the order.
fess

fess to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
zenit, the line card was swapped back in July. I just think the original pair is just totally trashed.
fess

1 edit

fess

Day # 5 of having the Dry Loop through DSLX. I'm happy to report that service has been absolutely wonderful. I currently have all of my traffic routed over that pair until the stability issues are solved on my original pair. Verizon is back out today continuing to work on that issue. I asked the Splicer if he could ask for a DSL tech to come out and change out the line card on that circuit just to eliminate another possible issue. He said he will put in the request. In the meantime they are connecting a meter at every splice along the way to track down any more line trouble. I also asked to be moved to another pair but apparently my DSLX loop was the last set available on my run.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Wow - even though this situation is crappy, I can't believe they are doing all that work! Good for them ... I hope they find something.

If they correct it, will you stay with Verizon or DSLX?

fess
Central Pa
Williamsport, PA

fess

Yeah I defiantly cannot fault the techs. They have been great this entire time (probably more than 25 days out between DSL techs and Splicers).

I will keep both however, now that I have stable service on the DSLX loop I will not need/use phone service through Verizon at all. I have a magic jack and a Femtocell for my cell phone. Currently this costs 60.00 a month. It's only 24.99 for a dry loop through DSLX so I think once Verizon fixes the issue with my original line I am going to drop the phone service and move it over the DSLX as a dry loop. I'd be saving 10 bucks a month and get to keep double the bandwidth to work with.

wiggie116
Premium Member
join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA
D-Link DSL-2750B
Actiontec GT784WN

wiggie116

Premium Member

I believe most Verizon's technicians do a great job. Only so much they can do with old rotted copper. There are few techs around here that will go above and beyond. Also a few who will do very little. You just have to get the right one. Glad to hear your circuit from DSLX is holding up..

fess
Central Pa
Williamsport, PA

fess

Click for full size
Update:

The Splicers were out on Tuesday. They replaced the "temporary" 1000ft bypass laying across the ground that was made back in July with shielded cable this time but it is still laying across the ground until spring when the ground thaws. Since then I've seen a nice increase in stability. The SnR still wanders around quite a bit more than it should but I'm not seeing any massive dips or total loss like I have in the past. I've not had one retrain since they replaced that section of cable. I hope it stays this way.

What I find interesting is the second loop from DSLX follows the same path, through the same bundle to the CO but does not have this "jitter" whatsoever. It also shows the loop is about 700ft shorter based on my calculations from the attenuation which is obviously not the case. The DSLX line has yet to have a retrain, tomorrow it will be up for a week straight. I'm pretty happy about that.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

... they never thought to replace that before?! Yeah, that is weird that it was following the same path and didn't have any problems, but wouldn't that mean that there was some inherent problem in just that particular pair? Maybe they had an error when it was spliced at either end.

My SNR fluctuates from time to time also - I don't know if it's as much as yours since I don't have a graph. But, right now it is 26, and I know last night was somewhere around 32 or 33.

Kind of a moot point now, but did you ever try changing the broadband setting mode? Where it lets you pick between ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, etc. When I do that the SNR changes each time. Maybe one mode in particular is better for your line.

When you had the DSLX line installed, I am assuming that Verizon brought you the modem? What did they bring? Wonder if it's any different than a regular Verizon install in terms of what they do.

fess
Central Pa
Williamsport, PA

fess

A little SnR fluctuation is normal indeed. Curiously, the most fluctuation on the DSLX loop I've seen since it was installed is +/- 1.5db and the attenuation has remained constant at 55.

Verizon does not allow me to change the broadband settings as you suggest as it is hard coded in the DSLAM in my CO. If I set it to anything other than ADSL2+ my line will not negotiate.

I actually provided my own modem. It is a Motorola that I bought for a client but they never used. I've also run the Motorola in the past on the Verizon circuit as well as an older Ppeedstream that I had laying around to eliminate the possibility that the VZ provided Actiontec was bad.

wiggie116
Premium Member
join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA

wiggie116

Premium Member

Do you plain on using a load balancing router?

fess
Central Pa
Williamsport, PA

fess

Yes and No. I'm using a Juniper SRX 210 which I've configured multiple routing instances and policy based routing to utilize both circuits. When using p2p or a download accelerator on the computer I can still capitalize on combining the bandwidth. Mainly it's just nice to be able to stream netflix, surf the web, hold a call on the cellphone, and use my VPN connection to my office all at the same time haha.