Search similar:

uniqs

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

[Appliances] Dishwasher Electrical?

I've got a 10 year old builders base level GE dishwasher. It still runs and cleans fine.

Problem is when you attempt to start it, you'll hear it 'ticking' but the clean cycle doesn't always start. It's getting worse too. We have to run the dial through and try again multiple times. Sometimes you'll also get a burning smell, but it goes away after it starts.

Any ideas on what it would cost to have someone fix something like this? I'd hate to just go buy a new one since it actually still cleans fine.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

1 recommendation

Tex

Premium Member

A model number would help. Nevertheless, it seems the dishwasher has an electro-mechanical timer. What I would do is kill the power to the dishwasher and then access the timer and perform a visual inspection of the timer and wiring. I'd want to know if the timer or if the wiring to the timer shows any signs of overheating (burning smell) and then go from there. There are other components that can cause a burning smell, but I'd start with the timer and wiring first.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint
I'll recommend you buy a new one, as it's not practical to repair a 10 year old dishwasher. If you replace it, make sure you replace the cord and make sure it's the proper wire gauge. Also pull the outlet from the wall and check the home wiring connections (wiring should be on the screws and not stuck into the holes on the back of the outlet).

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

said by wth:

I'll recommend you buy a new one, as it's not practical to repair a 10 year old dishwasher. If you replace it, make sure you replace the cord and make sure it's the proper wire gauge. Also pull the outlet from the wall and check the home wiring connections (wiring should be on the screws and not stuck into the holes on the back of the outlet).

x2 on this, particularly a builders grade. Mechanical timers are susceptible to wear, where digital timers only have relays that wear. A mech timer is typically expensive too, prolly half the cost of new. Check just inside the door for a model/serial

-j

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint
+1 on replacing the dishwasher. Considering the age you might not be able to find parts for it anymore or they're half the cost of a new dishwasher.

Go to Home Depot, pick out a new dishwasher, have it delivered and they're relatively easy to install if you're handy with home improvement.

I have a Maytag portable from 1999 that's still running strong. So long Maytag repairman. I wish we had a spot for a permanently installed dishwasher but the cabinets are already installed and it would be hard to match the countertops from 1988. The dishwasher sits next to the kitchen sink where a permanently installed unit would go.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to tp0d

Anon

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

Mechanical timers are susceptible to wear, where digital timers only have relays that wear. A mech timer is typically expensive too, prolly half the cost of new.

Ha, ha, yeah as if control boards never break! And half the cost of new? You must be kidding. I see timers run $40 to $85. My new dishwasher cost $700.

QuaffAPint, if you decide to buy a new one, check out KitchenAid. That's the brand of dishwashers most people buy.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint
said by QuaffAPint:

I've got a 10 year old builders base level GE dishwasher. It still runs and cleans fine.

While I can't speak for the specific model of dishwasher you have, we had a cheap builder-grade GE dishwasher in our previous home and it lasted about 8-9 years before, like yours, the electromechanical timer started having issues. After that other components started failing one by one and eventually we replaced the dishwasher after the pump impeller broke.

They're not built to last. I think 10 years out of a builder-spec dishwasher is pretty good.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to QuaffAPint

Mod

to QuaffAPint
said by QuaffAPint:

Any ideas on what it would cost to have someone fix something like this?

No idea -- I always do this kind of work myself. It is the only way it makes financial sense.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
Kitchenaid is hardly the only game in town... A plain-Jane GE can be had for 200-300 bucks; and a timer assembly can be 70-80; so claiming 'half' the cost of new isn't out of line at all...

OP - for 40-50 bucks, can probably have someone look at it, and tell you if its worth fixing... My gut says 10 year old base model DW is probably end-of-life; and not worth putting much money into.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

1 recommendation

nightdesigns to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint
Figure $100 for the service call and $100 for the part and then look at the pricing of a new one which isn't much more. I went through the same thing a few months ago and just went with new. It was 10+ years old and I figured it was just time. I did mine through Lowes. The install was $130. I called their main number instead of ordering at the store and they threw in some discounts without asking. Total was about $450 installed and this model was a few steps above base.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

3 recommendations

Tex

Premium Member

Almost every reply to the thread says to replace the dishwasher because it is at its end of life. First of all, just because it's 10-years-old, does not mean it's at its end of life. We have no way of knowing how many hours the dishwasher has been used during those 10 years. Secondly, I, like a lot of homeowners, don't mind opening up an appliance to find out the root cause of an issue. Who knows, maybe it's something simple and it can be repaired for a few bucks. To suggest to the OP that he just throw up his hands and buy a new dishwasher without attempting to figure out what it might take to repair it seems foolish, in my opinion. But, that's just the mechanic in me.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I don't think builders or base model appliances ever make sense to repair if you have to pay for a technician. If the OP wants to attempt the repair that would make sense but not having a repair person come out.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

Here is the Model # : GSD20000G00BB.

With a family of 5 it's gotten good use. Maybe runs 3 times a week on average as a guess.

I do fear finding parts for it. Plus, if it's one of those things that can be this, that, or the other thing, then by the time you're done it might end up being not worth it. I just wanted to see if it sounded like something someone else ran into and what they ended up paying for fixing it. As for fixing it myself, if its taking out a couple screws and checking some electrical fine, but I hate dealing with anything having to do with water, it always ends up causing me issues.

If I do decide to go new, is there anything to look out for? We don't need bells and whistles, don't need stainless steel interior. I just want something that won't break 3 years down the road.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

2 recommendations

Grumpy4 to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint
Pretty good chance this is the part that needs changing

»www.appliancepartspros.c ··· 699.html

See part 904 in drawing

»www.partselect.com/PS260 ··· ceCode=6

If part is returnable - your call on DIY

If you go new, an online subscription to Consumer Reports will show repair history / reliability data by brand name for pretty much every type of item they review. The (used to be $20?) annual price should be recovered easily within a year of choosing reliable products. Is CR the gospel? No, but it sure beats what the neighbors may tell you.
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber to QuaffAPint

to QuaffAPint
Had a 10 year old Frigidaire DW that the cycle timer switch started sticking at various points in the wash cycle in our new to us home. When I checked a few online appliance parts websites a cycle timer was $180. It was a no brainer to replace the unit. I am partial to Bosch as I had had 3 of them in the past 15+ years without any problems. Replaced it with unit that has a water softener built in, as our water here is borderline hard. The unit also has the ability to heat the water to 165 degrees f, so it cleans exceptionally well with low water usage of 6 gallons or less for a wash cycle. No mechanical timer cycle switch, or plastic tub. IMO these units are built to last,quiet too.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by dbamber:

I am partial to Bosch as I had had 3 of them in the past 15+ years without any problems.

3 in 5 years? Wow that's quite a failure and wear-out rate for such a high dollar dishwasher. I'm starting on my 11th year on my Whirlpool Gold.
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber

Bought the first unit 1n 1997, bought the 2nd one in 2005 when we moved to Arizona, and the 3rd when we moved to Oregon last September. FYI Bosch has an assembly plant in North Carolina, and a lot of the American appliance companies products are made in Mexico.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
Bulger, PA

3 edits

1 recommendation

tp0d to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

said by tp0d:

Mechanical timers are susceptible to wear, where digital timers only have relays that wear. A mech timer is typically expensive too, prolly half the cost of new.

Ha, ha, yeah as if control boards never break! And half the cost of new? You must be kidding. I see timers run $40 to $85. My new dishwasher cost $700.

QuaffAPint, if you decide to buy a new one, check out KitchenAid. That's the brand of dishwashers most people buy.

Sorry cheezball, but I gota answer yer turd of a post.

Took a look at lowes-- heres a cheapo 249$ mechanical timer dishwasher...

»www.lowes.com/pd_358884- ··· cetInfo=

and heres a replacement timer from 2 diff sites for this model

»www.partselect.com/PS735 ··· D2400KW0

and

»www.repairclinic.com/Par ··· 662&mr=1

First one cost same as new, other about 75%....

And I meant mech timers have more parts to break, so they do wear faster.

If you're not helping the OP, then STFU.

-j

Edit-- just saw above the OP posted the model#.. Timer itself is 80 some bux, plus ship, but doesnt guarantee that is the problem. Could be any number of other things inside a 10yr old dishwasher, lets throw some more parts at it.. Cant return electrical parts, tho...

And I guarantee a timer/control board for your 700$ dishwasher is going to easily be 1/3 of the total cost. Post the model# why doncha

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Tex

Premium Member

to Tex
said by Tex:

Almost every reply to the thread says to replace the dishwasher because it is at its end of life. First of all, just because it's 10-years-old, does not mean it's at its end of life. We have no way of knowing how many hours the dishwasher has been used during those 10 years. Secondly, I, like a lot of homeowners, don't mind opening up an appliance to find out the root cause of an issue. Who knows, maybe it's something simple and it can be repaired for a few bucks. To suggest to the OP that he just throw up his hands and buy a new dishwasher without attempting to figure out what it might take to repair it seems foolish, in my opinion. But, that's just the mechanic in me.

Talk about hours of use in a dishwasher, I was in residential treatment back in 1998 when I was 14 and the building was commercial construction but had residential grade appliances. Residential appliances in a commercial/institutional setting means warranty is void.

The dishwasher was run 2-3 times a day (or more) every day (depending if the kids were in school) and the building was built in 1996 and the residential grade Amana dishwasher burned out at the end of 1998.

In this setting they should be using commercial grade appliances. Residential grade appliances are intended for a family of six, not a RT facility of 16 and five staff members.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Still may be cheaper replacing fixing residential grade than commercial. Twenty one or so is not that large. True commercial on appliances also may mean an increase in their size that just doesn't fit all construction.
Have a fisher paykel dryer made by GE. Fixed it with GE parts myself cheap. Places like you are talking about usually have a handyman available for simple things. After that buy new again and business expense. A few years heavy use is not bad. Probably electronics gave out as most other parts are cheap. But who is to say an expensive ommercial maybe to large appliance would not break after warranty and have an expensive commercial repair.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The place was a nonprofit so no tax write off. They did have another unit that was 40 kids and a lot more staff. That unit's mess hall was built more like a cafeteria and did have commercial grade appliances (cooking and dishwasher). That Hobart could wash the dishes from dirty to clean in 58 seconds. That kitchen also cooked our meals as it consolidated operations. We just had to clean up and wash the dishes afterwards in that residential dishwasher.

We had residential grade washer and dryer where they had the Wascomats like you see in laundromats.

They actually do have commercial grade Speed Queen washers and dryers that will fit in the space of a residential unit available. Much cheaper than replacing burned out units every 2-3 years. And considering the recession I'm sure this agency's reimbursements are not at the same rates they were in the '90s if you factor inflation.

The other unit that was 40 kids was younger kids and they had to share rooms. We had private rooms.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint
FWIW - and a little off topic

I removed what I easily could from the washing area of our 14 year old dishwasher when it began to clean poorly. I was able to remove a lot of crap from the water out screening and also used a coat hanger and the like to clean the clogged end ports on the washer spray arms. Result - it now works like new. A gallon of white vinegar into the machine left over night with a heated wash cycle to purge vinegar apparently didn't hurt either.

Also off topic, but -- doing some research on which soaps work the best seemed to help as well. The high rated product work very well for us. One is the Cascade little pods in plastic, and the other is a cake with a red dot on it. Sorry I can't be more specific. Too lazy to go upstairs and check.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to tp0d

Anon

to tp0d
So the timer the OP probably needs is right in line with what I posted, and no where near half the cost of replacing the entire unit.
Boooost

Boooost to dbamber

Anon

to dbamber
I looked at Bosch. They suck. The interiors are very small (really, go to the store and look at them side-by-side), and IIRC they don't have a self-cleaning food filter.

The GE unit installed when they built this place in 1984 lasted 27 years. Just replaced it 3 years ago.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
Bulger, PA

1 recommendation

tp0d to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

So the timer the OP probably needs is right in line with what I posted, and no where near half the cost of replacing the entire unit.

Its 89$ shipped, approx 35% of new at 249. And he still has a 10yr old appliance.

-j
tp0d

tp0d to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint
said by QuaffAPint:

If I do decide to go new, is there anything to look out for? We don't need bells and whistles, don't need stainless steel interior. I just want something that won't break 3 years down the road.

When I remodeled the kitchen, I bought a mid-grade (400-ish) Whirlpool.. Got the 5yr parts/labor warranty thru Lowes when I bought it, but havent had an issue since the install in 06. Has a plastic tub, white face.. Stainless is over-rated.. and I wouldnt recommend a mechanical timer, for obvious reasons lol

good luck

-j

psiuuuu
@104.10.89.x

psiuuuu to Boooost

Anon

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

I looked at Bosch. They suck. The interiors are very small (really, go to the store and look at them side-by-side), and IIRC they don't have a self-cleaning food filter.

The GE unit installed when they built this place in 1984 lasted 27 years. Just replaced it 3 years ago.

What Bosch's have you looked at? Small interiors? Crazy when I look at mine with THREE racks in it (and no wasted space on the bottom for silverware). They have a filter system with no disposal - dead silent and once a month or so I remember to take the filter assembly out for a quick rinse in the sink. Cleans everything we throw at it (I mean, I let things bake on just for fun to see if it will miss something) in dead silence, has a red light to amuse babies and cats, fits more inside than anything I've ever seen. Definitely happy so far.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

I'm not sure what Bosch model you looked at but it certainly didn't look at their better line. We bought one really does fall and it's got all kinds of space. What's especially nice is it's got a third shallow drawer at the top for silverware so silverware doesn't take up any of the space on the two larger drawers. It also has a built-in water softener, water heater and interior light. It has a filter instead of the built-in disposal which in my opinion is much better.

You do realize that the self-cleaning filter is nothing more than a little piece of metal that spins on the end of the pump shaft don't you?

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to tp0d

Anon

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

Its 89$ shipped, approx 35% of new at 249. And he still has a 10yr old appliance.

Maybe go read the OP:
said by QuaffAPint:

I'd hate to just go buy a new one since it actually still cleans fine.

Boooost

Boooost to Msradell

Anon

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

I'm not sure what Bosch model you looked at but it certainly didn't look at their better line.

I was looking at $750+ dishwashers, so if $750 is not Bosch's "better line", that's another reason to avoid them.