Search similar:

uniqs
TurtleFan
join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

TurtleFan

[Security] House Security cam

What do you people use?

We have a neighbor of questionable reliability at the shore. We think he's stolen stuff from the house while it was being worked on after sandy, although we can't prove it.
So I think the time has come to put up security cameras just so we can check in remotely every now and then, despite the fact that we go down all year.

I love what EarthCam has.. put it up, go to a web browser, and you can instantly view what's happening via web stream. but i'm betting that costs a pretty penny. something similar, only affordable would be nice with a 3 camera system...

Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

[Security] Re: House Security cam

said by TurtleFan:

So I think the time has come to put up security cameras just so we can check in remotely every now and then, despite the fact that we go down all year.

Check out the DVR cameras listed on this website or others:

»www.spyville.com/stealth ··· cam.html

I saw one advertised elsewhere that could accept up to a 128GB SD Card. When you are at the shore you can switch SD cards. On a recent news program burglars faces were photographed by a clock with a DVR built in.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to TurtleFan

MVM

to TurtleFan
3 cameras won't even cover the front of a house if you want full coverage. Keep in mind that just because you see them on camera and know it is him, that does not mean the cops will accept it. you have to have a clear picture, not just a blob moving in the background.

Keep in mind the possible number of cameras you will need later, if you buy a 4 port system and want to add a couple in a month then you have to buy a new 8 port. Personally I would skip both and get a 16 then only buy the number of cameras you can afford at this point. Believe me, once you get a few cameras up you will wish you had coverage in a couple other spots. If nothing else the neighbor will see where they are and simply know to go in the other side.

If you go with analog cameras then pretty much any of them will work with any analog DVR but you give up picture quality on analog. This is really prominent for distance shots and night time views. If you go IP you can get better quality, but may be limited to only certain brands working with a particular NVR.

most all camera NVR/DVR systems now have the option to stream for remote view. so whatever you do just make sure it has that option.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to TurtleFan

Premium Member

to TurtleFan
Outdoor temperatures need to be considered when spec'ing the cameras. It is rare to find a camera's spec sheet without said temperatures listed. As a result, some cameras require a heated enclosure. I expect an avalanche of "mine had no problems at minus X" to follow, but just making you aware of the potential of non-operational status in cold weather.

Other than that, buy as much resolution as you can afford. The very cheap models can let you down, kind of like watching a 1958 TV show, if detail is required upon playback.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to TurtleFan

to TurtleFan
I have a Foscam HD camera indoors and aimed at the entry door to our vacation home, which we rarely visit in winter. Anyone entering thru that door will have his/her pictures instantly text-messaged to my smartphone.

I have a plan to install outdoor cams as well, which will confirm to me when the guy who shovels our snow is there!

We do also have a full security system with door, motion, and window screen alarms, but even people we give the security codes to will additionally be photographed.

You need a good ISP, and maybe also a Dynamic DNS provider if your ISP doesn't give you a static IP.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to TurtleFan

MVM

to TurtleFan
Whatever you get, make sure you get something that that has the ability to record, and record long enough for it to be of use. If it gets recorded over before you can see it, it does no good.
I would probably opt for a system with good motion detection and remote access.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to TurtleFan

Premium Member

to TurtleFan
Here you go:

»www.supercircuits.com/ho ··· sys1004e

Fully-featured with Internet access, email on motion alerts and such.

I've installed hundreds of this companies cams and DVRs. They have the best customer service I've ever seen.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
I'd also consider something cloud-based or with some kind of offsite storage capability. After all, if you're burglarized and the perps take the DVR/PC/whatever... You're SOL.

On that note, some systems can send live snapshots to email, etc. So, even if it is taken you'd have at least some evidence without a cloud setup.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

snapshots would work for cloud based, but good video is gonna take up more bandwidth than the avg US home can upload. I helped my cousin do a wireless link on an Axis cam a few weeks back. 5MP 30 frame per second video was a constant 25 mbit stream, and that was 1 camera.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to TurtleFan

Premium Member

to TurtleFan
Here's my local oceancam site. You can click on the link to see the live view.

»zardoz-sensor.com/

If the cam is black, it's dark outside (I had to explain this to my neighbor).

Right now it is running at 15FPS and an MPEG bitrate of 2048 on a 15/3 cable service. Web browsing is normal.

That can be dialed down if necessary...

TheMole
join:2001-12-06
USA

TheMole to TurtleFan

to TurtleFan

Re: [Security] House Security cam

I use Blue Iris as the NVR and a variety of cameras. Blue Iris requires an always on PC (dedicated for better results, IMHO).

This route is more expensive, but it gives you much more flexibility.

I have 6 total cameras at two locations. The remote location has a camera that records 24/7 and we keep video for 2 months before deleting it.

There is a very good camera review site: networkcameracritic.com that does pretty detailed reviews and the author is very interactive with posters.

For Blue Iris info, there is a good site cam-it.org for information about settings and configurations. The user base is pretty good.

--

You can really take 1 of 2 routes: the easy and likely cheaper route is buy one of the Costco pre-packaged systems with 4+ cameras. you can spend anywhere from $500 - $1000 and get a quality system. The more expensive route and more fun route is build your own.

Good luck.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to TurtleFan

to TurtleFan
depending on how far you are from the beach, I would,also consider soe thing better since you have to worry about salt damage too. I know foscam makes heated enclosed housings for their cam. They are pricey but may be worth it for you.
WB6PWJ
join:2004-05-12
Anaheim, CA

3 recommendations

WB6PWJ to TurtleFan

to TurtleFan
Get good cameras. I see photos of liquor store robbers in the paper. A lot of the time all you can say is that a white or a black guy was the robber. All of the identifying details are lacking.

The Fry's special of a DVR and several cameras is nothing but a deterrent. The video is useless. Good cameras are several hundred dollars or more each. What is the quality when the whole package is a couple hundred dollars.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

said by WB6PWJ:

Get good cameras.

Yes, but it is amazing to me, for all the systems that are available, how difficult it is to try to guage the quality of the cams--one certainly can't do it by reading specs.

My new Foscam HD/720p cams are a great improvement over the SD versions, but I envy my neighbor who recently got a Hikvision and the images are outstanding.